NextGen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that it is an intentional blend, but it has to have at least a little of just about everything. I suppose it depends on how it is re-refined.

With all this "being green" for the environment a suit at Valvoline overestimated the public's desire to be green with oil changes too. Personally, when I see motor oil that is recycled I steer clear of it even if its at 1/4 of the cost of new conventional....I'm almost certain that I am not alone and the reason why the idea of recycled oil will never work.

Last edited:
It might really be better since it is re-refined with new additives but I dont think it will ever fly

Valvoline is the only major "brand" that is not associated with a major oil producer (like Mobil, BP/Castrol/ Shell/PennzQS), and the others. My question is this: So, how much am I willing to bet that even the white-bottle is significantly post-consumer recycled product? Heck, I would think a lot of the independent blenders use re-refined oil. .. I would bet a lot of bulk oil is re-refined.

The question is whether or not that the recycled product is better or demands a premium. I think it starts off its rebirth in a better place than crude (especially if you know that XX% of folks change their synthetic oil at 3K).

I just think that people think recycled means "used" and that somehow there is something in the earth-oil that gets used up.

Recycled oil is fine, but the market (especially the DIY oil changers) are change resistant.

I have a friend who bought several jugs on clearance for his wife's truck. (I bought some too, but chickened out and returned it upon hearing the NOACK failures.)

We got to talking oil and he showed me a new bottle of NextGen vs. VWB. I am not sure if this matters, but the NextGen appeared to be very clear and light compared to the VWB. Like a light beer vs. an amber ale.

Who knows if it matters, but its worth a consideration. I am kicking myself for returning it now. Moms daily driver elantra would have loved it I'm sure.

Last edited:
I noticed this too, when I started using it. It is VERY light colored. I did my oil a few weeks back and I remember thinking it was almost the same color as the Coors beer I was drinking at the time.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I have a friend who bought several jugs on clearance for his wife's truck. (I bought some too, but chickened out and returned it upon hearing the NOACK failures.)

We got to talking oil and he showed me a new bottle of NextGen vs. VWB. I am not sure if this matters, but the NextGen appeared to be very clear and light compared to the VWB. Like a light beer vs. an amber ale.

Who knows if it matters, but its worth a consideration. I am kicking myself for returning it now. Moms daily driver elantra would have loved it I'm sure.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
I will once again point out that there are other re-refined oils on the market. I know of two: 76 Firebird LD, and Safety-Kleen Eco-Power. Re-refined oils are used by many municipalities, and I believe the federal government in fleets. Unfortunately, neither is marketed to consumers. You might be able to get them from a distributor.

I used to use Firebird LD when it was available on the shelves of my local Kragen. That's been a while.

Supertech in Canada is a safety Kleen product and is re-refined. I've also seen safety Kleen sold on its own here locally.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
You clearly have not been on here enougth
You never have too much oil

If you're not joking, then I would have to disagree. I already have enough oil in my stash without buying the NAPA Synthetic I plan to buy in the future. I also have an oil filter stash that I consider to be more than enough because quite a few of them (not most of them, but quite a few) are cellulose filters, and from what I have read on BITOG, storing cellulose filters might not be a good idea due to the paper degrading/becoming brittle over time. I am storing them in a temperature controlled environment (inside my home); thus, moisture should not be a problem, but some moisture/humidity might still affect the cellulose over time.

So, I will not buy any additional oil filters until I use up what I have ... and after I buy the NAPA Synthetic, I will not buy any additional motor oil until I have used up my stash. Then I will buy what I need when I need it. That is what I used to do before I started following BITOG, and I am going to return to that buying practice in the future. Moreover, buying what I need when I need it gives me the option to buy whatever oil/oil filter I feel like using at the time.

If you wait until you need it you will usually be missing out on sales during the year and end up paying more
I dont think anyone who has had a stash can let it just disappear
You need your oil fix

Originally Posted By: CKN
The problem as everyone else has stated....they were selling recycled oil at the same price as new oil. And those marketing guys have probably have Master's degrees.........

I catch myself wondering about the marketing guys working for these oil companies. About the only one that seems to have a halfway decent connection with the consumer is Mobil. Pennzoil is making a valiant effort with their Platinum product, but their target consumer is staying with Mobile, and the few people interested in Platinum are still wondering why Natural Gas makes it better, and if it's worth the cost. I think Pennzoil would actually be better off renaming the product, similar to what Toyota when they wanted to bring luxury cars into the US in the 90s. They knew Americans didn't associate Toyota with luxury, hence the birth of Lexus. Most consumers don't put Pennzoil Platinum up there with Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Valvoline is the only major "brand" that is not associated with a major oil producer (like Mobil, BP/Castrol/ Shell/PennzQS), and the others. My question is this: So, how much am I willing to bet that even the white-bottle is significantly post-consumer recycled product? Heck, I would think a lot of the independent blenders use re-refined oil. .. I would bet a lot of bulk oil is re-refined.

The question is whether or not that the recycled product is better or demands a premium. I think it starts off its rebirth in a better place than crude (especially if you know that XX% of folks change their synthetic oil at 3K).

I just think that people think recycled means "used" and that somehow there is something in the earth-oil that gets used up.

Recycled oil is fine, but the market (especially the DIY oil changers) are change resistant.

I have been told that very same thing at AAP and AUTOZONE

That ALL oil is recycled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back