Quantum Blue Lubricants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
I'd lean more towards something like the Defy, but Loobed's suggestion of 5w-40 Rotella is definitely worth considering. It'll be a bit thicker, yet you won't sacrifice a bunch of cold weather startup protection, either. You also won't be short of zinc.

Or TBN

2 VOA for Rotella 5w-40

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post2566898

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post2501235

LoganC: I can''t remember what weight oil to use for the different ranges of bearing clearances.You should go to www.chevytalk.com (since you have a c-10) and ask in the "performance" section which oil grade you should use for the bearing clearances you have. Don't worry about which brand to get: The grade is more important (the second number such as 10w-40). The first number is for when it is cold. A lower number usually means oil will get to where it needs to be faster when you first start your cold engine.

For .002 I am going to guess a xw-30 weight, but I still think 5w-40 would also be good. A good 10w-30 would be either Valvoline MaxLife or QS Defy. There hasn't been any UOA for Defy, so nobody really knows how it will perform. MaxLife usually always shows a good UOA.

Last edited:
It would be nice to know what your valve spring loads are and the valve lift. For a flat-tappet cam in an SBC, try Valvoline VR1 10w30. That is a high-zddp oil with 1300ppm Phosphorous content. I recommend that oil a lot on this forum because it is widely available at local parts stores. Another high-zddp oil is Brad Penn, with 1400ppm P. It is not as widely available.

Valvoline VR1 is conventional. Brad Penn is a synthetic blend.

Valve Lift is .489 Intake .503 Exhaust. I couldnt tell you the spring loads off hand. Ill look when i get home. THanks for the advice guys.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
It is not as widely available.

This - availability - is also an important consideration. If something's hard to get or simply a hassle, it might not be worth it. That being said, being in North Dakota, there should be no shortage of HDEOs available to you, and VR1, too, is highly regarded.

While I am not opposed to the idea of having a company create a custom blend of oil - in fact it may be an excellent option for a niche oil company. I do not believe that the makers of Quantum Blue know what they are talking about - due to the many obvious inaccuracies in describing their processes on their site.

Since the idea has been pretty much rejected by the OP, let me just add a +1 to the use of Defy or another HDDEO as an option in your engine. Good luck!

I wonder how many of the naysayers actually took the time to call Brian and talk to him about his products personally? It's very easy to bash without info, and we all know that if it really was a scam there would be a glitzy site with tons of [censored] marketing, smooth as silk! Amsoil is often bashed here for no reason, along with others, so it all simply fades into the buzz at the end of the day.

This guy makes stuff for the military. It's PROPRIETARY, simply unique. Not in any other product. I don't know if it is better or worse than so-called name brand oils, but I know better than to simply bash without reason.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I wonder how many of the naysayers actually took the time to call Brian and talk to him about his products personally? It's very easy to bash without info, and we all know that if it really was a scam there would be a glitzy site with tons of [censored] marketing, smooth as silk!

I certainly haven't said it's a bad product or a scam. I'm just skeptical. They use viscosity designations that are simply not recognized by the SAE. I can certainly understand companies selling non-API/ILSAC oils - that's nothing new or upsetting. Using non-SAE grades simply appears unprofessional.

And yes, there are plenty of smaller blenders out there. Some (there's even a local one here) that produce full lines of API/ILSAC products. Others don't. One has to look at the total picture, including what one actually needs compared to what's more readily available, and the cost.

For what it's worth, the local blender definitely succeeds in the cost aspect. Some of their resellers put it down a bit because they consider it "bargain basement" oil instead of the Edge or EP that they prefer to sell. To each their own.

Originally Posted By: ted s
the fuel stuff is snakeoil

Prove it or be silent.

Aces IV is the BEST octane booster I have ever used. My particular car has extremely sensitive knock sensor programming and will pull timing at the slightest whiff of knock.

When I add 6 ounces of the product to the tank the knock is simply gone. Then note that this product has a PROPRIETARY solid added for top cylinder benefits.

It's a sophisticated product that really works well. Certainly not for everyone, and not cheap enough for many.

But in my world snake oil is baloney, and this product is excellent.

You obviously are a bonehead who hasn't tried ACESIV or taken the time to call and speak to Brian directly! I use it in my JDM Type R Integra and it completely eliminated my octane issues and the engine runs stronger and better than ever! It amazes me the ignorance of people who have nothing better to do than bash for the [censored] when if they only would open their closed minds to real products that work they might enjoy their cars a lot more!

Originally Posted By: swankmotee
You obviously are a bonehead who hasn't tried ACESIV or taken the time to call and speak to Brian directly! I use it in my JDM Type R Integra and it completely eliminated my octane issues and the engine runs stronger and better than ever! It amazes me the ignorance of people who have nothing better to do than bash for the [censored] when if they only would open their closed minds to real products that work they might enjoy their cars a lot more!

I couldn't agree more.

My favorite when it comes to additives is "what is missing that I need an oil additive".

And as far as quantum blue goes the guy who runs the show is a member on one of the charger boards I'm on. At first when we exchanged messages I thought the guy was pushing nonsense until he took the time to explain,and what I first saw as nonsense became clear and my opinion changed.
Not that I need such an oil however if I did I would buy quantum blue,if it was available. Their products are very good quality and should not be dismissed just because.
I'd like to try the fuel stuff. If Steve says it's good then it's good.

{sigh}

Brian has a silk lined smooth tongue.

It was suggested above that he supplies oil to the military. Is there any proof that he's actually done that, or just take him at his word?

Ever look at his "business" address, it's a residence.

If you're getting too much LTK, then you need to fatten the mixture up with your Diablo tuner. With a "short" intake air sensor, the computer picks up a heat soaked sensor and doesn't work as well as it should. Change to the longer sensor.

I put in Aces IV last fall before I shut the car down for 4 months. Just finishing off that [censored] fuel in the take now. Engine runs like [censored] just as it always does in the spring with several months old fuel. Next year I'm putting in Avgas
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back