2013 Focus ST Castrol Edge with TI 5w30 6732 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previous fill was from the dealer. I assume it's Motorcraft 5w30, but I don't think NA is a additive in Motorcraft oil so it might have been Valvoline. It had a Motorcraft filter on it and it was purchased at a Ford Dealer. I went back with the same oil and Motorcraft filter. Car has a MRBP cat back and a Ford Racing cold air snorkel with a K&N air filter. There were quiet a few hard runs car see's max boost and redline on a regular basis, if not daily.
smile.gif

Blackstone comments.

Titanium is an additive in this type of Castrol, but sodium isn't, so the 46 ppm we found here could be a sign of coolant. Usually, though, if that was the case, we'd see high potassium as well, so for now, we think sodium is just residual additive from a previous oil. Wear metals look great (averages are based on ~5,800 miles of oil use, and your wear is low after a longer oil run), and the TBN and TAN are both good, at
6.3 and 3.7 respectively. The slightly low viscosity isn't a concern. We wouldn't jump all the way to 10,000 miles next oil, but try 8,000 and check back.

MI on Oil 6732 OLM was at 33%
MI on Unit 22932
Sample Date 11/24/14
Make Up Oil Added 0 qt
Oil Type Castrol Edge EP with TI Gold Bottle 5w30

Universal Avgs
ALUMINUM 3 3
CHROMIUM 1 1
IRON 11 11
COPPER 4 4
LEAD 0 0
TIN 0 0
MOLYBDENUM 66 66
NICKEL 0 0
MANGANESE 0 0
SILVER 0 0
TITANIUM 43 43
POTASSIUM 1 1
BORON 27 27
SILICON 11 11
SODIUM 46 46
CALCIUM 947 947
MAGNESIUM 1242 1242
PHOSPHORUS 616 616
ZINC 855 855
BARIUM 0 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 55.3
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 8.87
Flashpoint in °F 380
Fuel % Antifreeze % ??????
Water % 0.0
Insolubles 0.2
TBN 6.3
TAN 3.7

Last edited:
Looks good. These engines seem to tolerate DI and turbocharging very well, and the TBN is pretty astounding for that much use.

One question, though: how were you able to interrogate the IOLM to find the oil life remaining? As the owner of a 2012 plain Focus I can't seem to do this - I only get an alert when oil life is nearly over.

I run a check through sync. It's not a instant thing. You do a vehicle check through the my ford touch screen and they email you and you log onto syncmyride and check it. Yes, a pain.

Originally Posted By: rodinator1234
I run a check through sync. It's not a instant thing. You do a vehicle check through the my ford touch screen and they email you and you log onto syncmyride and check it. Yes, a pain.

So, just run a "Vehicle Health Report"? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Does the ST have the IOLM?

It does but you have to run a vehicle health report and access it through www.syncmyride.com. Which requires you to set up an account. I don't understand why Ford does it this way. I think it's to get people who don't do there service to schedule regular service at the dealer. It'll send you notifications when the car is due for service. Which for my Mom for example is fantastic. But for a person who does my own service it's kinda a pain in the butt.

Nice. Normally this oil is crazy shear stable in most applications but I see it too is not immune to DI. A TBN of 6.7 at nearly 7k is just wild!

Gold bottle Edge has impressed me the most of the few top tier syns I have run.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I own a 2014 focus and cannot figure out where to find olm info on the sync site.

Set up an account on www.syncmyride.com

Make sure your phone is synced to your car. Go the information screen on your car and poke around till you fine a selection that will let you run a vehicle health report. Run that then they will send you a email letting you know the vehicle health report is ready then log back on to syncmyride.com and you can view it.

Last edited:
i really like castrol UOAs!! I don't really like pics of engine internals run on castrol, though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ram_man
I own a 2014 focus and cannot figure out where to find olm info on the sync site.

To get the IOLM info you have to run a Vehicle Health Report after you set up a Sync account. To run the Health Report, start the car and allow it to run for at least a full minute. Put the car in park (or neutral for a manual), toggle the voice activation button and say "Vehicle Health Report". The center display should show the health report run and complete. Shortly thereafter you can log into your sync report and see the result.

As of a year ago, the Vehicle Health Report did not include oil life information, so this seems to be new. I haven't tried it yet and it's possible it only works with certain model years or configurations (like MyFordTouch).

The rest of the Vehicle Health Report is essentially worthless - it basically confirms you don't have a "check engine" light on the dashboard. Oh, and don't run the health report if your foot is on the brake: this may result in a braking system problem appearing in the report.

Even if this works, it's a lot of hoops to jump through compared to other manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
i really like castrol UOAs!! I don't really like pics of engine internals run on castrol, though.

I'm usually a Mobil 1 guy, but I've seen some really good UOA's from Castrol Edge with TI I saw this on sale thought I would try it. I bought 4 5 quart jugs so I have several oil changes to go with this oil. I have no complaints.

Originally Posted By: rodinator1234
Originally Posted By: badtlc

I'm usually a Mobil 1 guy, but I've seen some really good UOA's from Castrol Edge with TI I saw this on sale thought I would try it. I bought 4 5 quart jugs so I have several oil changes to go with this oil. I have no complaints.

I had a stellar UOA with Castrol OE 0W20 in my mazda with LOTS of life left on it. But when I kept looking up pictures of cars run exclusively on Castrol (mostly european cars) they were always yellow/orange/brown on the inside. I got scared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back