2012 Mazdaspeed3 6-speed manual 75W-80 UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just purchased this car recently. Sent in the factory fill and swapped out for Redline MTL 75W-80.

I don't have much input on this uoa, but i am the owner of a ms3 2013 and wondered your opinion on
this fluid. how many miles did you have on the ff, with your driving it? Did you miss shifts or anything out
ordinary?

reason i ask is cause my ff is still going but cold mornings may encourage me to change it. shifting is not to fluid with my 6-spd.

I hear good things about redline but better things about ford motor craft xt-m5-qs in this application.
i believe mc fluid is 75w-90 though.

congrats on your new car!

Change it out. The Redline shifts so much smoother in any temperature.

I didn't use the Motorcraft primarily because the owner's manual and service manual for the genpu say to use 75W-80. I am extremely hesitant to use anything but the factory spec, especially in a vehicle with a viscous LSD. Also the Motorcraft stuff is just way too expensive in my opinion.

I only put about 3k miles on the car, previous owner put the rest. Don't know anything about the previous owner's driving habits, but know it was an older guy who kept it stock, so it's unlikely he raced it. I haven't missed any shifts in this car yet. It's pretty easy to drive overall. I never launch the car or power shift.

Last edited:
Good find! MS3s are great little cars and fairly reliable too. After foolishly letting my Gen 1 go, I reupped and bought a 2013 new. My first ones shifting woes were indeed fixed by the XT-M5-QS but, like you have noted, the Gen 2 use 75-80 instead of 75-90.
So far the new one shifts fine (only 9k miles on it) and I'll probably stay with Mazda's branded 75-80 when I change it at 15k. Please repost later how the Redline holds up as that'll be what I go to if Mazda's stuff proves less than desirable.

Originally Posted By: brandini
Is it a viscous LSD or is it a helical lsd?

My mistake, it is a cone-type. Still, I would stick to OE spec.

Originally Posted By: MD1032
Originally Posted By: brandini
Is it a viscous LSD or is it a helical lsd?

My mistake, it is a cone-type. Still, I would stick to OE spec.

No worries then, but stick to a GL4 and yellow-metal-safe fluid. I've had great results in my non-speed and in a speed miata with Amsoil MTG.

This appears to be one of those Low Viscosity (LV) MTL fluids.

However, since there is no VOA on this lube we don't know the original viscosity was nor do we know how much it has sheared.

The addpack appears to be right on for a GL-4 protection rating and contains the friction modification needed for the synchro.

Manual Transmissions and Lubricants

Last edited:
I'm thinking of moving on from my trusty 2006 Honda Civic 5-speed and don't care for the mileage penalty Honda imposes on you if you buy a manual Civic.

Shift feel in most front-wheel-drive Honda manual trannies is terrific. How does the current Mazda 3 6-speed compare?

If you are switching to a synthetic MTL (Red Line Oil 75W-80), I would probably drain the factory fill at 10K miles and go with the similar Amsoil MTF which has a published viscosity of 9.7cSt at 100C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back