SuperTech Synthetic 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I know Supertech oil has been questioned a good bit here but I'd like your opinion on my question.

I have a 08 Dodge Ram 1500 with 236,000 miles on it and I've been running Mobil 1 Extended Performance (or whatever it is) 5w20 and changing the oil every 12,000 miles with no problems. I just got to thinking would I be able to go the Supertech and change at 10,000 miles and be safe?
It would basically only be saving me $15 a oil change or close to that. But I change my oil roughly every 4 months.
Also I run the Fram extended filter, Ultra Guard or something.

Only way to know for sure how ST held up would be a UOA, personally I might not go over 7k+ but vehicle conditions vary, $15 isn't much I'd keep your routine

I did a 9700 mile run on 5W-30 Supertech Full syn many years ago with excellent results. If the engine has no underlying problems I wouldn't be afraid to do 10K miles.

I would though say like Slatron and do a UOA for 10K miles or greater.

Last edited:
Your driving must be mostly highway for 3,000 miles a month, I would stay with M1 EP(Extended Performance) with Fram Ultra and extend OCI to 6 months or 18k miles. This way you save 1 oil change a year.

Good advice above.

1 - only way to be sure of anything is UOA

2 - since you drive so much, using a cheaper oil that won't go as far seems to be the opposite of what you should be trying to achieve ie the longest interval possible to save your time changing oil, save money on oil and filters, and produce less overall waste

Stay with M-1 EP...and do a 15,000 mile OCI (EP is guaranteed for 15K). M-1 is a superior oil versus Supertech, and changing to 15K OCI, will just about cost the difference in price between both oils.

Stay with the Fram ULTRA.....that is a good choice for 15K.

I wouldnt waste the money on a uoa-its an old truck and you know if it has any issues
You will be fine with the ST cause this is made by Warren and it is a good oil

I just bought a quart of Supertech 5w30 for top off in the Uplander. That's all I will use it for personally. If you use it just shorten your OCI.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Stay with M-1 EP...and do a 15,000 mile OCI (EP is guaranteed for 15K). M-1 is a superior oil versus Supertech, and changing to 15K OCI, will just about cost the difference in price between both oils. Stay with the Fram ULTRA.....that is a good choice for 15K.

x2 - little to worry about since both of them are rated for 15K. I would stay with M1EP at 15K as opposed to switching to SuperTech at 10K.

ok, next question.

Would it hurt for me to go to 5w30 Mobil 1 ? My wife's Durango uses it and if I could and not hurt anything it would simplify my oil buying. I could buy three 5 gallon jugs and have it cover for both oil changes, top off's and even my lawnmower.

I was told by a engine builder that the ports and such in my engine weren't designed for the heavier 5w30 and to only run what the oil cap had written on it.

Originally Posted By: MoonShineBandit
ok, next question.

Would it hurt for me to go to 5w30 Mobil 1 ? My wife's Durango uses it and if I could and not hurt anything it would simplify my oil buying. I could buy three 5 gallon jugs and have it cover for both oil changes, top off's and even my lawnmower.

I was told by a engine builder that the ports and such in my engine weren't designed for the heavier 5w30 and to only run what the oil cap had written on it.

If your owners manual says you can use 5w-30 in your climate's temperature range, no worries. If it says to only use 5w-20, you have your answer.

you are being told by an engine shop owner and builder if the cap says 5w20 then use it if it says 5w30 then use that they know something about engines they designed them

You've got 220000+ miles on the engine and you want to change something.

Come on.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Extend the interval a bit more. M1 EP is rated for 15000 miles. We've got a member here who's running it for more than 20000 miles in his truck and the used oil analysis says it's fine.
So run it longer. You'll get more of your money's worth out of it.
And Dnewton ran supertech conventional in his villager for in excess of 15000 miles and the used oil analysis showed there was life left in the oil.
So 10000 miles with synthetic SHOULD be doable but if you want to be sure do a used oil analysis.
As far as grade is concerned I'd go thicker and not thinner,so switch everything to the Xw-30 rather than changing everything over to the 20 grade.
If it's a hemi your fine with a 20 grade.
Consider all the variable such as ambient temps as well as operating conditions.

I guess here is my answer from the manual, mine is a 5.7 HEMI

NOTE: Vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine must use
SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper
operation of the Multi-Displacement System (MDS). Refer
to “Multi-Displacement System” under “Starting and
Operating” in Section 5.

NOTE: For 2500/3500 trucks with a 5.7L engine operating
under a gross combined weight rating of 14,000 lbs.
or greater, SAE 5W-30 engine oil is recommended for all
operating temperatures.
Lubricants, which do not have both the engine oil certification
mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number,
should not be used.

Synthetic Engine Oils
You may use synthetic engine oils if the recommended oil
quality requirements are met, and the recommended
maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are
followed.

I would stick with 5w20. Highway miles would make the 30w a bit more noticeable in the MPG range as long as you are not towing.

I would second either pushing the M1 EP for more miles or the Supertech with fewer miles will be fine. Lets see, ST at $17.50 at a 8K OCI (conservative here) vs M1 EP at $28.68 a 15K OCI (local prices for me.

ST: $0.0021875 per mile
M1EP: $0.0019112 per mile

So being conservative with ST, M1 is cheaper. But the 10K interval with ST is $0.00175, so cheaper there. Now the other option is to scout like mad, find the close-out price for oil and hoard like it is the end of the world... aka the BITOG oil-hoarder syndrome. I am a mild case with only 60-70 quarts in my closet with an average price of $1.75 for lots of different oils.

5W-30 won't hurt a thing. The engine can run when the oil temp is below zero in which case the oil is 1000 times thicker than the 8 cSt. viscosity your engine is at 200 F.

Pretty sure I've decided to buy one 5w20 5 quart bottle and 2 5 quart bottles on the Mobil 1 EP next time I purchase oil. Put all of the 5w20 in my truck and then top it off with 2 quarts of the 5w30, this will allow me to purchase three jugs instead of 4. After changing both vehicles oil I'll have 3 quarts left over for topping off and for my mower if it needs topped off.

i would never use synthetic with that high of mileage, i would use high mileage oil and change it no more than every 5,000 miles
all dodge vehicles are prone to leaking and burning with that many miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back