NextGen

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has disappeared from the shelves at my WM and the pimple faced expert had no idea why. Anybody else have this on shelves? Im in NW Indiana.........

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1bioguy
This has disappeared from the shelves at my WM and the pimple faced expert had no idea why. Anybody else have this on shelves? Im in NW Indiana.........

I last saw it on the "clearance" shelf... even then it was a slow mover. NextGen did not sell well... maybe in a few areas, but as a whole. nope.

For some reason, people thought it was used oil that was "lower quality" compared to crude that you have to pick the sand and sticks from. I know one place that still has some but they want $4.50 as their "clearance" price.

Because even if it's the same quality as any other conventional (which I think it is, though I'd assume a lot of people think a recycled oil would be lower quality) that doesn't justify a premium over any other conventional.

I'm thinking with the bioguy tag you were buying it out of environmental concerns and I do sympathize. Still... motor oil can be recycled into other products where there is a demand, it still has value, without being made into more motor oil. Much like aluminum or lead batteries because it has a salvage value it's pretty easy to recycle and often gets recycled... as compared to things that cost money to recycle and people just throw away (like a mercury CFL or cell phone battery with Lithium).

I knew this oil would flop, people see the "recycled oil" part and run!, it's all on clearance at my WM and it still is not moving. They tried this many years ago I remember and it didn't fly then.

The problem with Nextgen is that they were selling it at the same exact price as the regular stuff. That was why I wouldn't buy it before it was on clearance. Recycled in my mind should equal a cheaper price. If a recycled and non-recycled oil are the same price, obviously you're going to get the regular stuff.

I bought a ton from Pep Boys for between $1.16 and $2.19 a quart.. probably about 35 or 40 quarts. I have no concerns about using it, but if the price were the same as a quart of standard Max-Life, I'd buy the standard Max-Life.

... and therein lies the problem.

I will once again point out that there are other re-refined oils on the market. I know of two: 76 Firebird LD, and Safety-Kleen Eco-Power. Re-refined oils are used by many municipalities, and I believe the federal government in fleets. Unfortunately, neither is marketed to consumers. You might be able to get them from a distributor.

I used to use Firebird LD when it was available on the shelves of my local Kragen. That's been a while.

Hope it keeps on "not selling"-I'm using it left & right and it works great! Unfortunately the "clearance" prices have TRIPLED from the $1/quart NG synthetic & ML was selling for!

Originally Posted By: daman
I knew this oil would flop, people see the "recycled oil" part and run!

100% agree.

Even as an oil enthusiast with a marketing degree... I used to walk by this product on the shelves, and my first gut reaction would be THEY'RE SELLING USED OIL ????

The problem as everyone else has stated....they were selling recycled oil at the same price as new oil. And those marketing guys have probably have Master's degrees.........

As I said in an older post my local WM had it on clearance for a year with no takers
It started out at 3 bucks a qt and after a year I got 40 plus qts for 50 cents each
My truck runs fine on it just like it would on anything else
I think it is no longer sold and was a failed attempt from the start

I saw some NextGen conventional the other day at O'Reilly Auto Parts for $1.97/quart. I thought about buying some, but I plan on buying some NAPA Synthetic when it goes back on sale ... and with that, I will have way more than enough oil in my stash.

I loaded up on Nextgen Maxlife 10W-40 during the FAR exravaganza of 2012. Every auto parts chain offered this, sometimes over a period of months and most had the 10W-40 on clearance, so it was actually cheaper than free after rebate.
The BMW does very well on this oil. It leaks noticeably with the Defy I've tried for the last few changes, but not with Nextgen Maxlife.
I have plenty of the Nexgen Maxlife left so I'll go back to it once I've used the last two jugs of FAR Defy 10W-40 I have.
Nextgen is still offered, I believe, but it seems that most places have had it on clearance for a year or more.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
You clearly have not been on here enougth
You never have too much oil

IDK
At a little over three hundred quarts, I may have too much oil.
Fortunately, with seven vehicles in the family fleet, I go through more than seventy quarts a year.
I now buy oil only when FAR, although about half of my stash was FAR.
Closeout just doesn't cut it, although a ten buck jug of something like Syntec 0W-40 would likely join the stash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back