tv signal amplifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't speak to the models listed there, but I have a Channel Master CM-7778 mounted on the mast with my roof top antenna. One day I had almost no reception, usually I get about 40 channels. I thought something was wrong with the antenna until I realized that the amp had come unplugged. I plugged it back in and all my channels were coming in nice and clear. That experience emphasized to me how important an amp can be.

Yes, they do. How much gain you need depends on many factors such as where you're located, elevation, antenna location, type & height, distance to broadcast towers, type of coax used, etc.

Yeah they work, you're supposed to put them on the mast near the antenna so that you're amplifying the signal and not a lot of noise. That's where mine is and it works OK.

Not for digital TV! The amp just adds noise. It can benefit a weak analog FM signal but all over the air TV today is digital.

It works for digital tv as long as it is installed near the antenna and it is made specifically for that purpose. I am using one from Radio Shack and I can vouch that without it, I could not get any stations on my digital tuner.

You need an acceptable signal (good signal/noise ratio) at your antenna as the amplifier is just going to amplify what is at the antenna head.

The amplifier works best for those with long co-ax runs through the house.
The amplifier will make up for signal loss due to those long runs & splitters etc.

Yes, it will not do miracles but definitely worth a try if you are getting borderline signal. I am assuming a good one purchased from reputable manufacturer will do even better than my Radio Shack one.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I have one along with my rooftop antenna and completely approve.

Do you get any channels beyond the following: 6.1, 6.2. 8.1, 8.2, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 13.1, 13.2, 23, 26.1,26.2, 26.3, 26.4, 35.1, 35.2, 35.3 51.1 and 51.2?

Originally Posted By: Nayov
Do they work? I have a roof top antennae, which does OK, but a stronger signal would be nice.

For reference:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng....ignal%20amplifi

What rooftop antenna do you have?
Most markets in this area (Detroit, Cleveland etc) still have stations using VHF-HI frequencies.
I am using an Antennacraft HBU-33 and LNA-200 amplifier.

Ive used the cheap RCA silver boxes with decent success to send a cable signal about 75 yards away, and it worked ok. However I have used them in other situations where it didnt do much or made the signal worse.

I know someone who uses a RCA ANT751 antenna in the attic, and a PCT-MA2-8P splitter/amp with pretty good results for long runs of coax.

Yes it does help. I have one TV that is over the air only. Connected is an ancient boosted rabbit ears antenna. With it turned off I get little to nothing. With it turned on I get up 14 channels but most are in Spanish. They are come in reasonably well and clearly. There is indeed a positive difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back