01 Jeep GC new injectors=significant MPG increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one probably have the short Delphi units, its a good modern injector and responds well to cleaning.
Bosch, Denso, Delphi are all pretty much solid performers in their newer designs, i rarely come up with a bad one that cant be cleaned.

Magneti Marelli pico, old Delphi, Bosch pintel style injectors tend to have some real issues, these have a higher failure rate when i test them.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I didn't think anyone ever got 26 MPG from a 4.0, especially a GC. My mother had a 2000 and I don't think it ever broke 20. Great vehicle otherwise.

I get 24 on the hiway with my 03 WJ but I keep it maintained above and beyond what most do and also use MMO in every other fill up.
My 93 XJ 5spd always gets 26 or so on the hiway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
The vehicle has an overhead trip computer that gives avg MPG and a few other items.

So is the injector calibration the same as the original? You might want to measure MPG the old fashioned way to verify your trip computer.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I wonder if new injectors would make a difference in my Silverado.

These GM use a decent Bosch injector with a spray good pattern. Cleaning these can bring them back to 100% no need to replace (unless one is defective) or upgrade.
Ok, thanks for the info!

Its not really a question of calibration both original and these are 19lb@ 40 psi.
If the old injectors were very dirty and delivering an uneven amount of fuel or poor flow across the board the ECM will try to compensate.
It does a good job of masking things and keeps it running well enough unless one is so plugged it causes a misfire.

The new injectors have better spray pattern and better atomization, with all 6 flowing the same rate the O2 will not be signaling for more or less fuel at the rate the old ones were so fuel trims will remain stable with very little drift.
I would also expect throttle position to be be less to achieve the same performance. All these things can certainly improve fuel economy.

So basically when you hit the throttle the inputs are from the TPS, MAF/MAP, RPM, crank/cam sensors, front O2, rear O2 to monitor the cat, VSS, temp, etc.
Outputs are going to the throttle body (if equipped with an electronic unit), IAC, injectors, PCV, transmission control, fans, VVT, timing, and so on depending on how the car is equipped.

The ECM cannot speed up the injectors, that depends on rpm but it can adjust the pulse width in milliseconds (on time) to increase or decrease flow this happens anyway depending on load but clogged injectors can trigger this.

If one or two injectors (or more, just hypothetical) are iffy the ECM will increase fuel on all of them on the bank monitored by the O2. In this case a 6 cyl with one O2 and two iffy injectors will have 4 injectors flowing more fuel to keep the O2 happy at 14.7:1, because the two iffy ones are running lean.

So the end game is four cyl can be washed down with fuel causing excess fuel dilution in the oil and two are running lean but as far as the O2 and ECM is concerned everything is fine until it has to add so much fuel it trips a CEL.
The engine will require more throttle to achieve the same amount of power because of the two cylinders are not contributing their equal share.

Sorry for the rant, i probably left a lot of stuff out and didn't include all the sensors but this is just an example not an actual make and model and i'm sure i will hear about it but you get the idea.

It's a well known fact that the stock injectors don't ionize as well as other injectors do. That's where the gains and smoother idle come from.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^I believe the word you were looking for is "atomize"...

Yup. Wasn't thinking. That's embarrassing haha.

Saturday we were attempting to run a Cherokee that lost it's fuel pump with a spray bottle. The fuel pump / carburetor guy couldn't get close as it was off road and the jeep was jumping, so he put it to spray. I brought it up that it wasn't going to atomize correctly just spraying a stream into the throttle body.

Hey Trav,

What are your recommendations for an '01 PT Cruiser (m/t), nearing the 100k mile mark.
My wife's car, all original, and she's kept it going great for it's whole life, but we've been noticing an occasional slight stumble at idle speed for a couple thousand miles.

Thanks,

BC.

Trav, 1992 Honda Civic VX that uses lean-burn. 1.5L manual transmission.

What do with these injectors?
21.gif

On my 1997 F150 4.6W, I went from the old Bosch yellow top 19 lb injectors to new Bosch Pink top 23 lb injectors, my mileage drastically improved as well. I recorded mileage by gallons put in vs trip odometer as I have always done. The mileage consistently went up so much, that I never bothered to tell anyone knowing for certain no one would believe me. The net result: Better mileage, no more pinging and more bottom end power. Based on a YouTube video, the spray pattern is much better on the pink tops as opposed to the yellow top injectors. The duty cycle is way lower on pink tops as well.
When it comes to switching out injectors, anything is possible.

Any recomendations for a 93 GC with 5.2?
I get like 11mpg on a good day....
Since i am already going to fix the plenum on it i have to remove the fuelrail and injectors anyway so i might as well put in new ones when putting everything back on the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back