Sharing Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Brother laser printer which is presently connected to a PC via the USB port.I would like to also use it with another PC. Short of contantly swapping USB cables back and forth, can I connect this printer with a USB hub to use between the two PC's?

Depends on the printer. What is the model number of the printer? Does it have an Ethernet port on the back?

I assume you don't have a more expensive networking printer. If you have Windows, I think you can share a printer over the network if you access the correct settings in the control panel. Both PC's gotta be on and connected by a LAN or Wi-Fi connection.
Otherwise, get this: http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Hi-Speed-Peripheral-U215-004-R/dp/B000F3OI3W

2ekkl8l.jpg

Forgot to mention, it's a Brother MFC7340. Only connectivity is a USB port.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I have a Brother laser printer which is presently connected to a PC via the USB port.I would like to also use it with another PC. Short of contantly swapping USB cables back and forth, can I connect this printer with a USB hub to use between the two PC's?

USB to Ethernrt adapter - 5 bucks on amazon or ebay.

What operating system?

If windows between both you can actually just right click on printer icon and click sharing and proceed there. The only catch is the "host" computer has to be running to act as print server.

I am pretty sure Linux will either work elegantly(dependent on dist) or require you to noodle away hours like most tasks to get this going.

In addition to the excellent suggestions already posted, there is also Google Cloud Print

For newer printers that are "Cloud Ready" you just have to hook 'em up, but unless you need to use it outside your network you don't need Google Cloud Print!

For yours you'd have to have Chrome installed and the Cloud Print Connector enabled, Directions Here

Otherwise, cheapest & quickest solution is to share it over your network.

if you dont mind leaving the computer on that its connected to.. windows printer sharing is the easiest method.

A router with a usb port for peripheral sharing is also a good option.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Do you have a router with a USB port? That would possibly be another way to share it on the network.

Thanks for this suggestion. Downloaded the USB sharing utility from Netgear and installed on all PC's connected to my Netgear AC1200 router and magically, I can print from each PC.

When the printer next runs out of toner, take a look at new printers before throwing more money on toner.
You'll be surprised that a new printer might not be as expensive as it seems-at least compared to the price to buy more toner.

Besides networking, you may also want to look for wireless and ones that support printing from mobile devices, for futureproofing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back