Dodge Charger owners, torque for oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did my first oil change today and love the top side oil filter. Been searching for the specs for torque on the oil filter cap but am coming up empty. I don't want to over tighten which can be easy to do with a 1/2 inch drive.

Thanks

The 11-13 style cap had a torque spec of 25Nm embossed on it; you'd be safe with that. If anything I'd tend to go a bit easier than that. Use a 24mm socket and don't overtighten.

The o-ring seals it from leaking. I put a yellow grease pencil mark on the cap and canister when I did first oil change. It always stops right on the mark as the cap seats. There's no way it can/would unscrew itself. If it leaks, its because of bad o-ring.

Darn....I think I over tightened then.....my torque wrench clicked at about 30 foot pounds....should I back it off and retighten or leave it be? And yes to sound naive...how many foot pounds does 25 nm translate to?

Back it off and retighten while the O-ring is still pliable. 25Nm is about 18 ft lbs. After your OCI, especially if you go for a longer one, the O-ring will harden and stick in place, making it harder to remove. If you leave it as is, getting it off later will be a *****.

Last edited:
Turn it till its tight and shows resistance to move. No reason to crank it down and no reason to worry

Goose, I hear you brother. I never get a warm-n-fuzzy over the filter canister on my 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan Pentastar either. Making a paint-pen mark on it from the get go is a smart idea. I just snug mine with the 3/8" ratchet handle I use to loosen it. It never snugs up tight 'till it can't turn any more. No positive stop so to speak. I hate that.

I could just imagine breaking the lower half of the plastic canister in the driveway/garage.. Or worse, having it break down the road. Oh man..

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Turn it till its tight and shows resistance to move. No reason to crank it down and no reason to worry

This is all you have to do. The GM Ecotec engine has the plastic cap also, and I just turn it until it stops turning. Basically you want it tight but don't torque down on it. Never had a leak doing it that way. If by the remote chance you do have a leak, you'll catch it during your inspection and final check. I don't see any way it can come loose on its own.

Well like JTK said, there is no positive stop...if you stopped when you hand tighten it there are still some of the caps threads exposed. You need to keep turning until it is seated and I guess I see where the 18 pounds is crucial because this ain't a feel by hand tighten.

I had an Ecotec in my HHR so I'm familiar with that setup. That was a def tighten then snug cap.

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose

I had an Ecotec in my HHR so I'm familiar with that setup. That was a def tighten then snug cap.

Exacatly. The Ecotec in my 2007 Cobalt was very different. That basically had a positive stop.

Now I'm starting to second-guess my recent grand caravan oil change and will check the filter cap with my torque wrench. Never thought I'd see the day. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back