accident damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife was recently involved in an accident. She was driving in the right lane at about 30mph, when another driver tried to make a right turn from the left lane, causing extensive damage to the front left part of my wife's '06 Liberty 4x4. The body shop owner called me today, saying they had completed the damage assessment. Here's what concerns me: they found the spindle bent. If the impact was hard enough to bend the spindle, what does that mean for the bearing assy, CV joints, rim & tire, etc? I would think there would be the potential for more problems, but welcome any thoughts or advice.

Was the other driver at fault, and a ticket issued? Is their insurance company paying for the repair and rental car?

If yes to both, you are entitled to additional 'Diminished Value' payments, and you'll need a professional appraisal.

Check out Auto Appraisal Network or similar in your area.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Modern vehicles give it up to protect the occupants. Better the vehicle than your wife.

Amen. My wife is dealing with neck pain, but it could've been much worse. Also, our 5-year-old was with her, and was not injured.

Originally Posted By: vintageant
Was the other driver at fault, and a ticket issued? Is their insurance company paying for the repair and rental car?

If yes to both, you are entitled to additional 'Diminished Value' payments, and you'll need a professional appraisal.

Yes, other driver at fault, and yes their ins co is paying. Diminished value does not apply in our case, as SD only requires the reporting of >$5000 damage on the title if the vehicle is less than 7 years old.

I agree that it will likely be totaled, but I'm looking at every angle in case it isn't. My wife is attached to the Jeep, and I know she'll push to get it fixed. I would like that, too, because we bought it in '08, and I've meticulously maintained it. IOW, the average Liberty of a similar year will probably not be in as good of condition as ours was. Can a person negotiate payment (if it's totaled) based on pre-accident condition, or will they strictly go off of book value? Also, finding a good deal on a 4x4 Jeep, in SD in the winter, would not be easy!

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Yes, tell them you want the same vehicle or better. Don't give in on the first number and do not settle the medical claim for several years until you are certain there are no long term injuries to your wife.

If they balk make them find the replacement vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Yes, tell them you want the same vehicle or better. Don't give in on the first number and do not settle the medical claim for several years until you are certain there are no long term injuries to your wife.

If they balk make them find the replacement vehicle.

Long term neck pain is exactly what you need to be concerned about. My wife was in a wreck 15 years ago and still has neck pain. We settled about a year after the wreck for what seemed to be a very generous offer, but now it doesnt seem to be nearly enough.

[/quote]

Yes, other driver at fault, and yes their ins co is paying. Diminished value does not apply in our case, as SD only requires the reporting of >$5000 damage on the title if the vehicle is less than 7 years old.

[/quote]

The insurance co. will report it to CarFax and the record is there when you sell so there is Diminished Value. Whether DV or Total Loss, talk to a local auto appraiser who should guide you and help you and get you more $$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back