2001 Pontiac Bonneville ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at a 2001 Pontiac Bonneville SE with around 90K on the clock. I don't know to much about these cars. Any trouble area's to look at while checking out this car ? It's got the 3.8 L 3800 Series II N/A Engine. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

About the longest lasting engine out there, and with 90k miles it's got about 410k miles left in it at least.

Common issues are the intake manifold gaskets and the plastic coolant elbows. I believe that's it, other than that - bulletproof. My next car may be a Buick with a 3.8L.

I agree with nick those cars are great and those engines fantastic we see very few of them at my engine shop. I also think the 3.1 is a great long lasting engine.

Just about bulletproof once the lower intake gaskets, upper intake manifold, and pressure control solenoid are taken care of. All those issues aside from the PCS aren't expensive to permanently fix. If the transmission is shifting fine (not slamming into gear or shuddering), throw a shift kit into it, change the ATF and drive on. If the transmission has been rebuilt at any point, an improved PCS will have been installed.

Go take a gander. If it's well taken care if, I'd snap it up if the price was right.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Window regulators go kaput regularly.

That's why I'm the only one at the post office getting out of my car to put the mail in the mailbox. Everybody else just rolls down their window. Nothing wrong with my window regulator, but I figure the less I use it, the better off it'll be. I'm the guy who has to replace it.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Window regulators go kaput regularly.

That's why I'm the only one at the post office getting out of my car to put the mail in the mailbox. Everybody else just rolls down their window. Nothing wrong with my window regulator, but I figure the less I use it, the better off it'll be. I'm the guy who has to replace it.

LOL....

Oh my God I just laughed so hard right now.

Intake gaskets coolant elbows and valve cover gaskets are common. Engine is good besides that and the electrical gizmos are a little below Ave quality and transmissions are just ok. If it's clean and price is right I wouldn't be afraid of it .

I had a 1995 Bonneville SE. Other than the intake manifold gaskets, the car with electrically controlled suspension was great until it was t-boned at 212K.

The Buick PAU/ supercharged has not suffered a manifold gasket failure. (yet)
However, driver's heated seat, driver's heated mirror, and air ftemperature for driver's side has had issues. No window regulators but the switch has worn out and needs to be wiggled a bit to work. Spring repair.

I occur. The 3800 engine just keeps going and going.

Being a handy DIYer, I find it difficult to get rid of this vehicle.

I have had 4 of them 3 Supercharged one N/A. Run forever. I haven't had any of the nickel and dime issues people discuss.
I have had to do the intake gasket and valve cover gaskets on two of them.
I had a 1998 Bonneville, loved that car.
The Buick did make me do the pan gasket. It was a PITA.
2001 GTP (270,000 modified miles, tranny at 190,000)and the Current 2004 GTP are the other two .

EGR STOVE PIPE on the Plastic intake cars (N/A). REALLY look at that.
If it is bad you will have to replace the intake, pretty cheap.

What are they asking?

Watch the 4T65E. They are OK. You can change the fluid and do a shift kit to help it last. A good rebuild at a good a shop is 2500 bucks.

Check out ZZperformance.

It's a older couple selling it. I just got to talk to him for a minute today because they where heading out. It looks really clean and garage keep. They are asking $2400 which is what KBB states around what it's worth in this area.

I'm in need of another car and it's hard to pass up a car for that price.

Man even if the transmission exploded tomorrow that is not too bad because you would still have under 5000 in it. Car has LOTS of life left in it, being an older couple I imagine it wasn't hammered. Do they have maintenance records?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back