Cleaned Battery Terminal...Idle Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
02 Camry. Background Info - it needs a new charcoal canister, code has been on.

I was cleaning the battery terminal, had little buildup so I put a little Vaseline on one terminal, tightened things back up. I started the car and drove a bit and it was idling very low and stalled, tried a number of times, stalled.

So stupid me, I cleaned off the Vaseline, put it back together and it of course stalled again but I took'er for a rip (drove it hard) for ten mins and now seems fine.

Any thoughts?

I'm guessing you will need to clean the throttle body around the butterfly. You unhooked the battery cable so it re-set the parameters. I had that happen on a previous vehicle I owned.

You put grease over terminals to prevent oxygen and moisture intrusion, not in them.

While grease should be squeezed out, it is still reducing mating surface area by some unknown percentage.

The engine computer takes a while to relearn the engine. I find that there is a difference in how it runs if it relearns it cold, or relearns it when hot.

Better when cold, with my 89. it runs all crusty with poor throttle response if I reset ECM with a hot engine.

Thats happened to me before.It indicates a bad connection and low idle voltage.When it happens,remove terminals and clean again using no lubricants.Maybe spray some red protector on after assembly.

Had the same problem with mu 04 RAV4. Idles at 750 rpm, after battery disconnect it started stalling since idle was 650 rpm. Let it idle at home for 15 min and it idled at 1000 rpm and went down to 750 rpm.
Also clean the throttle body a few days later as others mentioned.

Disconnecting the battery cable made the computer lose the data it has accumulated that made for a good running engine. It will take a few miles of running to relearn all that was lost. As you have found out, it is not caused by the Vaseline on the battery post.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Computer had to relearn idle settings since the battery was disconnected.

Totally agree.

Our Subaru has a "procedure" to relearn the idle after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. If not followed it will idle low and stall.

1. After reconnecting the battery, turn the ignition switch on and wait for at least 10 seconds before starting the engine.
2. Start then engine and allow it to idle for 10 minutes with no load on it.

This gives the computer time to readjust the settings.

Probably just the computer.

But about Vaseline, it worked great for me until one hot day on a long drive, when it insulated a terminal and my car stalled and would not crank at all. I got several jumps and still had problems running. Only after a serious degreasing and a jump would it run reliably again, from the very moment it was removed it ran fine again.

Permatex 80370 or equivalent is not expensive and goes a long way. Your choice, don't say I didn't warn you.

Yep. Electronic Throttle Body unit needs to re-adaptation
after power was removed. Usually on most cars you simply
reconnect the battery, turn the key to accessories (do not touch the gas pedal) for at least 30 seconds, then start the car
and let it idle (not touching the gas) for another 30 seconds, then drive off and use varying speeds for around 10 minutes or so.

People have mentioned getting that vaseline off. #1 job. Other things you can do for battery health instead:

Just make sure no sulfate tracks grow. Was the battery w/furniture polish periodically. i don't know if you have a 4 or six, or etc. but if your hold-down clamp goes over the cell caps, pull it, clean it, re-paint if corroded. Put rubber between it and battery. That can create a short to ground (had it happen).

Epsom salt in a weak battery to recondition is a great thing. Google it.

Had to clean the TB in a buddies 4.2L Trailblazer for the same issue. It would not idle correctly until a manual cleaning which it desperately needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back