WM to no longer carry Pennzoil HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had been wanting to run Pennzoil HM next summer. Seems similar to PYB, but with a bit more zinc. The 4.Slow should love it.

Last week I went to WM to pick up a few jugs only to realize they were phasing them out. They were the only oil still on rollback since they were trying to sell all the jugs. I tried another WM (*super center this time) and only found one jug which was hidden behind the 5w20. (The lady there was nice enough to give me 5 quarts priced at what the jug would be. +1 for WM)

The only thing I can think of is that its not a blend. QS Defy and Maxlife both advertise being blends. I guess the word "synthetic" is an excellent marketing term.
smile.gif

Get it while its still on sale!

Last edited:
Perhaps it's just local perception to the brand itself? Here, in various places, Wal Mart included, Pennzoil and Quaker State don't move as fast as Castrol and Havoline. Although, Pennz and QS must sell decent, because everyone who carries them has a decent supply of it. Come to think of it, I think my local WM has more Pennz HM and QS Defy than dexos syn blends.....I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinue the blends here.

I prefer the none blend oils personally. Might have just been me, but my Jeep consumed about half a quart every 3000 miles while on Defy. Not a huge deal, but I have no noticeable consumption with PYB.

I'm partial to regular old conventional myself. I used Defy to some success in an old GMC I had, seem to consume the same amount of oil, but virtually stopped a slow leak on the front oil pan seal. Well, that and some Permatex Ultra Grey.
wink.gif
I haven't tried any other HM oil before or since, so I'm really not a reliable source. Maybe they are going to change the PHM formula, so they are discounting and selling out of the old?

Could be a regional thing. As of last week, plenty of supply and still dedicated shelf space for the 5W30 and 10W30 Pennzoil HM. Since I run it in our RX330, will keep an eye out and might buy a bunch just in case.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
This sucks; I switched all our cars to Pennz HM and the shelves are empty at the local Walmart as well.

Take a pic of the price tag and have Oreillys price match.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Does your local Sams carry it ? Ours has it in the 6qt box - 5w30 for $19.66

Pennzoil High Mileage? All I've seen an Sams is regular Pennz. I'll keep an eye out though.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Does your local Sams carry it ? Ours has it in the 6qt box - 5w30 for $19.66

Pennzoil High Mileage? All I've seen an Sams is regular Pennz. I'll keep an eye out though.

Yes sir.. High Mileage Pennzoil.

Last edited:
Might be regional. The local one seems to always have different flavors of the month.

That's a bummer cause I would like the convenience option, but I usually plan ahead a bit and get almost all my Pennzoil and Penz HM from Dollar General anyway. They run it on sale a good bit, that plus the DG $5 off $25 coupon on Saturday's I can usually get it at DG for 3 bucks a quart out the door.

Of the HM oils Wally's carries though I could easily see PHM being one of the slower sellers there. It's competing against Maxlife plus the very popular Defy, Mobil Super HM and Castrol HM are sitting right there too.

Here in Texas, Penn and QS are the two big sellers, in both their regular and HM formulas. The one that sits and comes close to gathering dust on the shelf is Penn Platinum. Penn just hasn't done a great job marketing that oil to the local consumers here, almost all of them coming in to get synthetic end up with M1 in their cart.

Penn yellow jug (think ya'll call it PYJ?) is by far the most popular, the local lube shops get most of their supply from WM because it is cheaper than their bulk suppliers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
That's a bummer cause I would like the convenience option, but I usually plan ahead a bit and get almost all my Pennzoil and Penz HM from Dollar General anyway. They run it on sale a good bit, that plus the DG $5 off $25 coupon on Saturday's I can usually get it at DG for 3 bucks a quart out the door.

Of the HM oils Wally's carries though I could easily see PHM being one of the slower sellers there. It's competing against Maxlife plus the very popular Defy, Mobil Super HM and Castrol HM are sitting right there too.

Thanks for the DG tip. I'll have to keep an eye out next time. I have 20 quarts of PHM. Should be good until next year.
smile.gif

How often does DG do those sales? How well to they advertise it? The only sale I've caught was Peak conventional for $2.95/qt., and it made a nice little stock for my brother's car and grandma's van. About the best sale in my area is when Kmart puts QSGB on sale for $2.69/qt. or $13.00 for a 5 qt. jug. That's really a great sale.

Oreillys has a jug of peak plus WIX made MicroGard for $14.99. That's the best I've got as of now.

DG has flyer in the Sunday paper. Shame on me as the consumer for overlooking it. I always just assume they advertise pop, chip sales etc. so I overlook it.

Well, come to think of it, the absolute best deal around is Kmart's Smitty's Super S 5qt. for 8.50 deal. If your car takes a Purolator that they have priced for clearance, you can get it for under 70 cents. So that's just over ten dollars for an oil change, give or take. I've grabbed a few 5 qt. Smitty's deals in the past. Never needed the closeout filter though.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back