2005 Toyota Landcruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TKNY
Last question for you guys.

I am going to go with Mobil 1 EP. Manual states 5w30, and the 100 series Land cruisers were not back specced to 0w20.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to run 0w30? Any negatives?

In NY, that would also be a good choice...

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I would not at this time go for a HM oil unless you have leaks.

Totally agree

Absolutely no reason for a HM oil on a low mileage, clean, dry, late model Lexus.

Regular M1 is a much better oil than the HM in this case.

No harm in using a HM oil, according to Valvoline in-house team you can use it from 0 miles if you wanted to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXqkOZAkXZw

Lengthy video but it has loads of information and I don't think you can do much better of a source.

I think you're overthinking it though, any name brand oil, from PP to M1 to SynPower to even ST (since you drive so few miles) are all a solid choice. My only concern is the oxidation from short trips and consistent fuel dilution but all of these oils contain additives to help with this. If you were concerned about this a UOA at some point during the OCI would be useful.

I am sort of in the same situation as you. I only drive 5k-7k miles a year with many short trips. For peace of mind I use Amsoil Signature Series and change yearly. It's a top tier oil with an excellent additive package to protect the engine during those short trips and an industry leading pour point for unsurpassed protection in low temperature start ups.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Throt
No harm in using a HM oil, according to Valvoline in-house team you can use it from 0 miles if you wanted to

No one said anything about harm.

HM oil simply not ideal in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back