Ford Taurus vs Chevy Impala?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Steve and I don't agree on vehicles but he is spot on. GM and Chrysler should have been left to fend for themselves. You don't loose many millions of vehicles without SOMEONE taking up the slack. Someone would have bought them and built cars. Some jobs probably would have been lost but not every job would have been gone.

I do agree with this however the unions weren't having it and needed government money for their survival.
Had gm died the union would have too,and would the new company that rose from the ashes even have a union workforce.
I doubt it.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Ignorance abounds.

look up delphi and the poor folks who got nothing in the bailout. It was pure cronyism. It did little for taxpayers and LOTS for the unions.

GM was far too large to ever go away. They would have been restructured and operating in days after a real bankruptcy. Investors were ready and were actually a bit disappointed that they weren't allowed to fold normally and restructure...

Exactly!

This whole bailout argument is just silly. All large corporations have lobbyists that get them millions in tax breaks, grants and favors each year. People like to argue over small potatoes and ignore the elephant in the room.

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Originally Posted By: kschachn

And yes, I know that Chrysler and Ford got money too. So OK, retract that part of my comment. Restrict it to Toyota and Honda then.

Scratch them off of your list too. Both took subsidies from the Japanese government.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/japanese-automaker-subsidy-end/

Ed

AWESOME!!!!!

So who are the guys who cry about bailout gonna run to now. Everyone takes government money. All of them.
I love it.

Run to? And why is that awesome? I think it is plain disgusting the whole bailout thing. All of it.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
AWESOME!!!!!

So who are the guys who cry about bailout gonna run to now. Everyone takes government money. All of them.
I love it.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Rented a Ford Taurus. It broke down and the agency switched it for a Chevy Impala.

The Ford was cramped and uncomfortable with a tiny back seat. The steering felt distant and the car handled like a wet sponge. On the other hand the Chevy was amazing. It handled brilliantly, steering, brakes and engine/transmission all worked together to produce a great driving experience. The Chevy encouraged me to push it on windy roads and really use the brakes where the Ford made you feel like every turn upset the car's balance and you had to wait for it to settle down. The difference between these two cars was a surprise. I would have never suspected that a Chevy sedan would be this good.

"Brilliantly"? That's a stretch. They are OK. Nothing special. The one we rented had the big engine which was kind of fun.

Haven't tried the new Taurus.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
No turbo or AWD, but Chevy's current police vehicle isn't the Impala. It's the Caprice PPV, which is RWD with the 6.0L V-8
Caprice-PPV-2.1-640x426.jpg

Not sure where your flawed information is coming from, but GM has more than one police vehicle. They are still building an Impala PPV for 2015...

http://www.gmfleet.com/police/chevy-impala-marked-patrol-car.html

They're still beating that old impala like a dead horse. I had an '06. Worst transmission I ever dealt with to this point. Then I talked to a tranny shop. He said, " Those Impalas are my bread and butter, the tranny get so d@^^n hot." Alas , I see that only the police can get a tranny cooler on them.

You may forget how many Impalas were sold. Also Buick LaCrosse, Pontiac Grand Prix, and Monte Carlos. An Awful lot of them are still on the road running well.

My daughter in law has an 06 with 220k miles on it that she drives to work daily.

Interesting to note that in our local Sheriff's dept. they had a BETTER maintenance history than the (gasp) Crown Vic PI!

Not a bad car, just a bit boring...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
You may forget how many Impalas were sold. Also Buick LaCrosse, Pontiac Grand Prix, and Monte Carlos. An Awful lot of them are still on the road running well.

That's the problem with GM: they make a bazillion of something, and there is bound to be a few problems. Sorting the true problem vehicles/drivetrains from the random failures can be hard if one only goes by antedotal internet evidence.

I can't comment on the Impala but I spent a little over a week with a 2014 rented Taurus last month. Here are my thoughts.
Pros:
Engine- V6 with good power with a nice visceral feel to it.
Body styling- This is a good looking car.
Handling- Solid handling for a full sized family sedan.
Back up camera- I wanted to hate it but ended up liking it.
Huge trunk- Mafia types could comfortably stuff 4-5 dead bodies in there.

Cons:
Seats- I could not get comfortable even with power everything and lumbar support, the wife loved the tooshy warmers though.
Transmission- Granted that it would be tough for me to love any AT, this one shifted smoothly enough but hunted and needlessly shifted way to often in varied (hilly) terrain for my liking.
Funky dash- It has all the doo-dads and user interface but was a little too Luke Skywalkerish for my taste. Probably just showing my age.

Conclusion:
Nice car that won't be in my garage any time soon.
003-XL.jpg

004-XL.jpg

006-XL.jpg

007-XL.jpg

009-XL.jpg

005-XL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back