Mobil1 AFE 0w-20---21,000 miles---07 Fit Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Makes my 10K OCIs on 0-20AFE look wimpy!

Yet some here cringe at your/my intervals.

Just proves that in most applications the oem specified intervals are a cya number,and the truth of the matter is oil can last much longer in service than most of us have been told.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Just proves that in most applications the oem specified intervals are a cya number,and the truth of the matter is oil can last much longer in service than most of us have been told.

Thanks tig 1....for putting me on to in M-1 0w20 AFE....My ol' 2003 Focus loves it in combination with a Fram ULTRA filter.

Since I'm doing a bit more short tripping, my OCI will be about 8.5 to 9K....but I will be leaving on the ULTRA filter for another run.

I skimeed through this post, and apologies if I missed it - Did you have one filter on for the entire OCI, and which filter?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Thanks tig 1....for putting me on to in M-1 0w20 AFE....My ol' 2003 Focus loves it in combination with a Fram ULTRA filter.

Since I'm doing a bit more short tripping, my OCI will be about 8.5 to 9K....but I will be leaving on the ULTRA filter for another run.

Oregoonian,
My Focus does a lot of local miles. About 65-70% local. The Fusion about 50-50.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JerryBob
I skimeed through this post, and apologies if I missed it - Did you have one filter on for the entire OCI, and which filter?

Thanks.

Yes, a Mobil1 oil filter was used for the entire interval and 1 quart of oil was used to top off at some point late in the service interval.

As requested (pic from 2 years ago):

1003760.jpg

1003762t.jpg

I'll see if I can get him to provide an updated pic of this area valve cover removed.

^I would say those pictures were as many as 50k miles ago. Which, along with the UOAs, gave him the idea to start extending the intervals further. He bought the car used over 100k so no idea previous owner etc, but you'd think if an '07 had that many miles 3-4 years into service they probably had the oil changed a lot and thankfully it was nice and broken in.
banana2.gif
19.gif

I've been running 0w20 AFE for the least 60k on my Accent. Only 7500 miles OCI though. Might just start going up to at least 10k now. At 7500 I'm down a quart of oil.

Here's some pics from this summer of the top of the motor; about 100k on it at this time.

cams.jpg

RE: SHOZ

As long as you get UOAs to compare at 7.5k then at 10k to verify TBN, insols, etc. are holding up. Mind you we live in the south so not as cold for as long as up by you guys (assuming IL).

EDIT: Also, this car isn't seeing that many short trips and gets as you can see varying yearly mileage but still quite a bit. The 'worst service' this car sees is occasional stop 'n go and some 'cold' starts only around this time of year. Also, your engine isn't the same so remember to track the oil/engine to see how the engine trend in response to extending the intervals out.

Last edited:
So, what I want to know is how it that the 7.5k run into 2012 on API-SN AFE 0w-20 at the time showing 2.2 TBN and yet 21k on the 'same formulation' AFE 0w-20 showing 2.4 with an additional 14k?

I don't doubt it. He did add 1 Quart of oil near the end of this OCI vs none that OCI, but does it do this report justice? What would his TBN actually be had he not added an entire quart arguably just before the OCI ended? (8.8 or 8.9 TBN virgin)

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

As long as you get UOAs to compare at 7.5k then at 10k to verify TBN, insols, etc. are holding up. Mind you we live in the south so not as cold for as long as up by you guys (assuming IL).

EDIT: Also, this car isn't seeing that many short trips and gets as you can see varying yearly mileage but still quite a bit. The 'worst service' this car sees is occasional stop 'n go and some 'cold' starts only around this time of year. Also, your engine isn't the same so remember to track the oil/engine to see how the engine trend in response to extending the intervals out.

My car doesn't see many short runs. 15 miles at a minimum but usually 30-60 miles at a time. I would waste the money on oil analysis. Spend $30 to save on an oil change? I would be adding a quart during that time which I don't do now. I'm usually down nearly a quart at the 7500 mark.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

My car doesn't see many short runs. 15 miles at a minimum but usually 30-60 miles at a time. I would waste the money on oil analysis. Spend $30 to save on an oil change? I would be adding a quart during that time which I don't do now. I'm usually down nearly a quart at the 7500 mark.

So, run it 10k, top it off, and get a sample (topping off before 7.5k ofc).
thumbsup2.gif

Definitely an amazing run, regardless of the oil type. I'm impressed with the 1.5L engine in the Fit more and more. Seems like Honda really nailed it with this one. Im sure it must be because it runs so efficiently, the oil lasts this long with ease because there isn't much contamination getting in.

I say you go longer, with results like this. I don't see this engine quitting anytime soon.

Post updated valve cover pics. I bet it's still spotless in there!

What the heck, let's just throw a by-pass system on there; swap him over the Red Line racing 0w-10 for maximum fuel savings and call it a day until we need to replace the cat. *COUGH* ..or engine? *COUGH*

stirthepot.gif

lol. Really this run was probably done at 18k or so if I had to guess because 1 quart of virgin added around that time skews the final numbers quite a bit at least wrt TBN.

What the heck, let's just throw a by-pass system on there; swap him over the Red Line racing 0w-10 for maximum fuel savings and call it a day until we need to replace the cat. *COUGH* ..or engine? *COUGH*

stirthepot.gif

lol. Really this run was probably done at 18k or so if I had to guess because 1 quart of virgin added around that time skews the final numbers quite a bit at least wrt TBN.

Agreed, that qt right before the uoa is going to skew the results alot; 2hat is the sump capacity on that 1.5L? Looking at the iron ppm after 14k mark, the number goes up alot more, even with 25% or more of new oil increase. I think 15k would b3 a good number to shoot for, scrap the uoa.

So in my application it would be better to add oil say a 1/4-1/2 quart at at time rather than wait until it is down a full quart at 7500 miles while changing at 10000 miles?

Or course it is, 1 qt add would be way below the min line. I usually add oil 9nce it gets half way down the dip stick marks, which is about 1/3 qt in my CRV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back