Good "starter" double edged razor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel is also very nice, especially if you have sensitive skin. Most Walmarts carry it, otherwise Amazon.

Originally Posted By: opus1
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
sciphi- are there any chain stores that carry Nivea products?

Target carries their shave gel.

CVS carries the gel and aftershaves. Meijer does as well, but I don't think they have any stores in Iowa.

The only place I've seen Nivea shave cream (in squeeze tubes) is a place in downtown Chicago called Merz Apothecary.

....anywhere you can find a german grocery store...
also PM Trav, he may have a few in his sleeve...
Opus, try lawrence and western area, across the German House bulding....

This stuff is what I have used for ten years with my Merkur 34C (aka Heavy Duty). I've had the razor for twenty years and I stick with what works. Better still, it's cheap and easily obtained. This the generic for Clearasil. There are also generics for this at CVS and, probably, Walgreens.

Face Wash

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Also retailmenot has promo codes for Dorco which makes them even cheaper.

I have bought two of their packs, and a pack lasts me about 9 months.

Razors are very good quality, even the 2 blade ones work fine for me. The six blade ones are very smooth.

I just checked said website and ddin't find anything from Dorco but found razors from www.razorsdirect.com; are they made by Dorco? Not the name brand ones obviously, but the bulk packs of disposable and cartridge multi-blade? That is by far the best price I've seen for razors!

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: opus1
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
sciphi- are there any chain stores that carry Nivea products?

Target carries their shave gel.

CVS carries the gel and aftershaves. Meijer does as well, but I don't think they have any stores in Iowa.

The only place I've seen Nivea shave cream (in squeeze tubes) is a place in downtown Chicago called Merz Apothecary.

....anywhere you can find a german grocery store...
also PM Trav, he may have a few in his sleeve...
Opus, try lawrence and western area, across the German House bulding....
Good to know, thanks. I'm downtown often enough that Merz is not too inconvenient, but it seems a bit pricy. This makes me wonder if Caputo's has it as well -- despite beinng an Italian grocery chain store, they have a lot of products from other countries. Good excuse for me to go check I guess....
grin.gif

I've been using one of the Merkur double-edge safety razors, not sure which model number but it has a fairly long handle, for a year or more now. The Japanese Feather blades proved too sharp for me; I use the red package Personna Platinums without incident. As for shave cream/gel, I've been using Aveeno's foam and good old-fashioned Barbasol as a backup. Recently, though, I've tried the Gillette gel (a $1 travel size from Target), and find it even easier to get a close shearing without nicking myself. A little aloe-filled moisturizer cream and a splash of the classic Clubman aftershave, and I'm ready to go.

Yes, get one razor for each of you.

http://brotherhood.theartofshaving.com/barbertips

which ever razor you decide on, here are some other shaving tips.

i use a brush and soap in a bowl and try and shave after shower, use baby soap on the face skin in the shower.

shave at least twice, one down ward with the grain and once up ward against the grain, if i have time i go across the grain too...

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to give your input guys.

We got the razor Wednesday, along with an assortment of blades, some Proraso shaving soap and a tube of their shaving cream.

Still working out which we prefer, but the Astra blades were good and the Feather blades are better yet. Would like to try the Personna blades yet too, but they weren't in the assortment.

So far, it's worked better than the 5 bladed Gillette Fusion razor and with a lot less drag. I'd read remarks about that, but was having a hard time understanding- now I do!

Another razor may well be in our future, as I'm still unsure how much I like the short handle of the 34c. When they said short, they sure as heck weren't kidding!

Also as a side note: After re-reading the thread, I see that I made an egregious spelling error. In my first post I said that my interest was "picked"... Oops. As I'm sure you can all guess- it should have been piqued. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Cool. I've been dabbling with a DE razor myself for the last 6 weeks or so, on days off when I have time to play around (i.e., I don't have a train to catch).

I don't know if anyone mentioned it earlier, but if you like the Proraso shaving cream, you can get the tube form under the C.O. Bigelow name at Bath & Body Works. Normal price is $10 for the large tube, and $5 for the smaller one, B&BW has a quantity discount, and if you have any of their sale coupons, that makes the cost even less. You have a wife so at least you don't have to deal with going in there yourself but I survived my excursion there.
crackmeup2.gif

If you go mail-order, Maggard Razors (http://www.maggardrazors.com/) has been good to deal with. Their shipping is extremely quick; I placed an order late on a Friday night, got an e-mail from them the next day (yes on Saturday) that they've shipped my order and the PO left the box on my porch on Monday. You're a little farther west than I am, but I'd bet you would see a similar turnaround time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back