Mobil 1 0w40 vs 20w50 Which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw on another post that Mobil 1 0w40 is better than 20w50. Only for car engines. Is there some application were it might not be? Like motorcycles or hydrostatic transmissions on lawn mowers if they don't have other spec. requirements other than an API certified oil?

Last edited:
They are for different applications, so there is no better.

In the US, Mobil 1 20w-50 is only sold as a motorcycle formula. There are 5w-50 and 15w-50 auto formulas.

0w-40 is designed for European cars, but can certainly be used in other things.

Is there a certain vehicle that you want to use one of these oils in? "Better" depends on the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
They are for different applications, so there is no better.

In the US, Mobil 1 20w-50 is only sold as a motorcycle formula. There are 5w-50 and 15w-50 auto formulas.

0w-40 is designed for European cars, but can certainly be used in other things.

Is there a certain vehicle that you want to use one of these oils in? "Better" depends on the vehicle.

I like to buy from Wal-Mart where they sell the cheapest. They don't have 5w-50 so that is out. I am resigned to go with 15w50 because its pretty much the 20w50 synthetic version(I might create controversy on this statement). I thought about using the 0w40 in hydrostatic transmission since I only use it for a half hour at a time and a thinner oil might be more beneficial. They recommend 20w50, but Mobil 1 0w40 would fall within there minimum requirement.

Are you asking which is better in a hydrostatic transmission?

You've posted this question in the automotive motor oil forum.

If you're looking for an oil recommendation, provide some information. What is this oil going to be used in? Type of vehicle? Year/mileage? Driving conditions? What specifically does the owner's manual state? Type it out verbatim.

Also, read this.

Ok, lets get back to the first question forget the rest, just stick to that one? Why is Mobil 1 0w40 better than 20w50? You can answer as a better than 20w50 in ---. But please provide the why?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NH73
Ok, lets get back to the first question forget the rest, just stick to that one? Why is Mobil 1 0w40 better than 20w50? You can answer as a better than 20w50 in ---. But please provide the why?

If the manufacturer recommends 20W/50, 15W/50 meets the same spec and exceeds it in several areas.

Since you are not putting it in an engine, why 0W/40 might be better than 15W/50 is moot. 0W/40 is oil made to spec for certain German manufactured vehicles. It has some other suitable applications, but that is what the original intent was.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
tig1 answered your question on the first post.

Yep.

For a more in depth answer we would need to know in what application the oil is used in. Ambient temps would be nice to know as well.

Most 20w-50 oils today are air cooled bike oils. No automotive oem currently specifies use of a 20w-50 so they are only manufactured for current applications which would be bikes,or air cooled motors being run in hot environments.
I am generalizing as a few decades ago some European oem's still accepted these thicker oils for use in their engines but once the 0w-40 long life oils came to market they were so much better in those engines the 20w-50 became a legacy type grade.
Again I'm generalizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back