2008 VW Polo GTI Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have a 2008 VW Polo GTI with 42,000 KM on the clock. Currently on a 6 month oil change schedule with Castrol Edge 5W 30 when it's serviced by VW.

I'm looking to get a bit more hands on and change the oil myself every 6 months, and only have VW give it a service every 12 months.
Being a complete novice in choosing oil I'm looking for some help.

Hopefully the below info is OK for a few recommendations;

1. Car: VW Polo GTI
2. Owners Manual Recomendations; VW 501 01, VW 502 00, 504 00
3. Location; Sydney, Australia
4. Drive Style; Easy
5. Daily Drive: Short 10 KM trips, average around 7,000 KM annually.
6. Issues; No known issues.

Based on my research because I'm in Australia and it never goes below freezing and is hot in summer, I should be looking for a 5W 40 oil?

Hopefully the oil experts around here can help me out....

If you care about the warranty, use whatever they suggest.
Out of warranty, redline 5/w40 is the way to go
wink.gif

If you're only doing 7,000km per year, just service it every 12 months, at 6 years old it's well out of warranty so 6 monthly is a little bit of overkill. Edge 5w30 is what Castrol recommend for your vehicle, I'd stick with that. Cheers!

Welcome to BITOG!

I don't see the need for a 5w40 but it wont hurt. You will be restricted to a VW502 oil though if you do. VW prefer the VW504 spec and it does meet higher performance, on paper at least. However it does not mean VW502 is inferior, many on here will argue the reverse. In short, given the enormous price difference when on sale I would buy whatever is cheaper, Edge 5w30 (VW504) or the other Edge 5w30 A3/B4 (VW502).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back