Adventures in checkout charity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was doing bank business with a teller a few years ago. The teller after finishing my transaction, loudly said "You know you can do this online don't you?" I said (equally loud) "Sure i could, but if everyone did , what would any bank need you for? Don't you like your job?" She look at me funny for a moment as the realization set in then wished me a good day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Not long ago, I went with some co-workers to lunch at Taco Smell. As the garrulous cashier went through everybody's orders, she hustled each of them for a donation to some kind of charity to add to the receipt.

I feel this practice is abhorrent.

When she got to me, I gave her my order and refused the charity. She loudly made some comments about it and embarrassed me in front of my colleagues. Then she handed me the receipt and said that I could fill out the survey for a chance to win $500.

Unhappy with my experience, I filled out the survey as I ate the grade-D slop. I detailed my experience truthfully.

Fast forward a week later. My colleagues go to Taco Bell and when they returned to work they started giving me all kinds of grief about how I got this cashier fired.

I didn't want that to happen, a talking-to would have sufficed. They don't fire people in that high-turnover industry just because of one customer survey indicating dissatisfaction with the professionalism of the cashier and with the corporate begging practice. Now my colleagues think that I'm some kind of monster for making her lose her job.

The way I see it, the only thing that is necessary for evil in this world to thrive is the silence of good men. And the next time I get lousy service and get a survey offer waved in my face, I will not hesitate.

Who else here stands up to checkout charity and/or poor customer service?

Not reading all other posts, but I doubt YOU got her fired because of your comment. I am betting they had other stuff against her. Maybe she was fired for another reason? I'd be disappointed in your friends for blaming you as the reason.

I also want to add that as a cashier I have a hard time panhandling charity too. Every time they tell me at work, (which hardly happens now) I simply ignore and "pretend" to forget. We have a table off to the side with a bunch of things people can do to help the community. It's present but not forceful if that makes sense. We still sell plenty of them. I make a terrible salesman so offering additional sales is something I'll always struggle with.

I dated a girl who was into every sort of community service under the sun so naturally I had to accompany her on nearly everything she did when my schedule allowed. One time I had to ring a Salvation Army bell for 2 hours (at the store I work at ironically.. Didn't at the time though.) While I did hate it, it was interesting being on the other side for once. Got called an idiot for wishing a guys wife Merry Christmas after she donated too. Ehhh. Glad that's over.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
my job pushes United Way and every charity out there to automatically deduct from our paychecks. I haven't gotten a raise in years. They wonder why there is less than 30% of employees donating. The CEO and executive VPs are pulling in millions of dollars of year. they harass us with emails for charity donations during open enrollment. I get sick of it.

Me too. My former employer would harass and intimidate employes who would not sacrifice at the United Way alter through paycheck deductions.

I was pulled aside and my blank deduction form was THROWN at my face by my supervisor. He glared and said "I guess you don't appreciate your job, do you?"

Originally Posted By: Subdued
I give plenty to charity in the form of taxes.

Yes, although most of us are compelled to comply with various forms of legalized extortion!

A simple "no, thank you though" invariably suffices with check-out clerks.

I willingly (and privately) give to our church, Rotary International, Make-A-Wish and donate time and expertise to Habitat for Humanity.
A grateful man of relatively modest means, doing so just makes me feel good. I try to never forget there are many who've a lot tougher go of it. Knock wood.

The cashier at the TB seems a bit too enthusiastic about that
charity effort. I wonder if some of the employees were
taking some of the donated money for themselves?

It does happen.

I was brought up with the idea that your sex life, your religious beliefs, and your financial affairs are your business, and your business alone. If pressed, I tell people that, and nothing else. If someone is going to try to embarrass me, they will be very unsuccessful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back