Coming out of ext warranty V8 4Runner... new oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Climb14er
My 4Runner V8 2007 4 x 4 Sport will be out of extended warranty at the end of the recent oil change. Been running Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and premium oil filters since the break-in at approximately 6K miles. Oil has been excellent, through the super hot SW summers and the very cold Colorado mountain winters. The Platinum rocks!

Due to warranty, I've been changing oil every six months or approx 6K miles give or take. miles. Since warranty will be expiring, I'd like to extend the oil change frequency to 1X a year if possible and change 'er out at approx 10k-12k miles.

I've read that the Platinum in reality should not be pushed to go that long, even though the 4.7 V8 is fairly easy on oil. And I don't want to send out samples to Blackstone. Just want to keep it simple if possible.

What would your recommendations be for an extended full synthetic oil and weight... and filter to handle the extra mileage, 1X a year frequency?

BTW, if I run more mileage, I will change the oil at the time/mileage recommended for that oil.

I appreciate the forum's input.

The Pennzoil Platinum you have used has worked well by your account to this point at 6/6K intervals so no need to change oil/filter brands yet. If you are unsure if that combo is safe to take out to a year and 10-12K+ then have some UOA's done and see.

1st step, IMO, is to do a 6/6K OCI and then do a UOA w/ TBN and see what things look like. If there is still a lot of useable life left try a run to 9-10K and then do another UOA's and see how the PP/filter you use held up? If it still has some life left then take the next OCI out to 12K and see.

Lab's like Blackstone will give you an idea about how much useable life they feel is left on an oil if you ask when submitting the sample. IF you take it to 9-10K and they say it is done then you know that is your max range and you can see how close to a year it took to get there.

If you fall short of your desired OCI range with PP then you could try going up a level to Pennzoil Ultra( or Ultra Platinum - whatever they are calling it now ). IF you come close with regular PP then the Ultra should be able to take it home( I would still do a UOA to see ).

Another benefit, IMOA, of going to PU if PP fails is the formulation is probably close enough that you could just do a UOA right on the 1st OCI and get a pretty accurate idea of how it will do whereas if you switch to an entirely different oil line like M1, Valvoline, RP, Amsoil, etc... you really should do at least 2 if not 3 OC's before doing a UOA to get an accurate idea of it's performance.

Good luck with it and hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have an 03 limited 4x4 with the 4.7 and 182k. Running M1 5w30 high mileage and M1-209 slightly oversized filter. I change the oil at 7500 miles and no problems whatsoever. Still starts and runs like brand new. I know I can run it longer, but I reach 7500 every 6 months so I just do it to coincide with other routine maintenance. I have a 3" lift and running 33" tires, so I know its working a little harder to turn the bigger tires and my true mileage is actually closer to 8k with the size difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back