USA made wrench set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm having a difficult time finding a set of USA made metric combination wrenches that don't cost a fortune. I know snap on mac and sk are american made but even the sk set is $160. Anyone have any suggestions? I was disappointed to see sears craftsman's are now Taiwan too. Thanks. I'm not a professional mechanic so they won't be used every day but I don't want china junk either. Thanks

One standard line you will often see is to look used. That is an option, there can be plenty of opportunity for used stuff.

Another option if you have good ratchets and know what you typically use, is to buy fewer wrenches to save money and still get the good usa stuff. You could even do onesies-twosies ordering from mcmaster care, snap on, Amazon, etc.

If you went that route you could always fall back upon running to the store or using a ratchet in a pinch.

I had someone from harbor freight come into my shop and put their wrenches and sockets up against the ones we use and i was really impressed with their performance and guarantee for 1/8-1/4 of the price of the big guys.
My dad always bought craftsman back in the days but today sears made a complete turn around for the worst. Snap on are very good tools but they are expensive. We have mostly snap on and matco but we also have some good harbor freight tools lately its up to the guys what they like.

I have a Gearwrench (Taiwan) set, a Harbor Freight (China) set, a made in USA Craftsman set, and a made in USA SK set.

Honestly, the Gearwrench is the best set, followed by the Harbor Freight, followed by SK, followed by Craftsman. Unfortunately, American tools are a dieing breed, and a lot of them are not as nice as the offshore tools.

Wright Tool (made in USA) makes some nice combo wrenches.
http://www.amazon.com/Wright-Tool-750-11...tool+metric+set

JH Williams made in USA is really nice too.
http://www.amazon.com/Williams-MWS-5A-10-Piece-Super-Wrench/dp/B001DO0V0Q

Taiwan is different from China and they're manufacturing is waaaay better than China's. If you bought them, they'll last a lifetime just like USA. Taiwan tools rivals USA's. I bought some Taiwan made Craftsman several months ago to rebuild my engine and they took a beating but still works and looks like new. I also bought Armstrong and CDI from Amazon.com. I also bought some Snap On tools and impact wrench just because.

Last edited:
My favorite combination wrenches are Cornwell Extra Long combination wrenches, but you gotta find a mobile distributor to get them.

Originally Posted By: anndel
Taiwan is different from China and they're manufacturing is waaaay better than China's.
While Taiwan is governed by the ROC (Republic of China), which is separate from the PRC (People's Republic of China), anndel is correct in that Taiwan has been manufacturing goods for international sale a lot longer than the PRC so their skill level is more mature.

While the Chinese are perfectly capable of making very high-quality stuff, most of what we get in the US is made there solely because there are so many manufacturing companies willing to make junk for pennies, and US companies are willing to have them do it to maximize profits.

I don't have a set and I've never used them, but Menards has their Masterforce 10 piece SAE or metric tool sets on sale for $23. Sale flier says it's American-made and has a lifetime warranty. Sometimes the lower-priced sets don't have all the sizes that the high-priced sets do, but for the occasional use, they might be okay.
I realize you probably don't have the Menards chain in your area, but perhaps they sell online or if you have a buddy in the midwest that can buy them for you....

Originally Posted By: Kruse
I don't have a set and I've never used them, but Menards has their Masterforce 10 piece SAE or metric tool sets on sale for $23. Sale flier says it's American-made and has a lifetime warranty. Sometimes the lower-priced sets don't have all the sizes that the high-priced sets do, but for the occasional use, they might be okay.
I realize you probably don't have the Menards chain in your area, but perhaps they sell online or if you have a buddy in the midwest that can buy them for you....

USA made! I would try them at that price. I need a few midget wrenches and they have a set for $14.99, better than buying china made!!

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardwa...3359-c-9157.htm

I started using mostly Williams and Proto after seeing how well they hold up to the severe abuse the maintenance department I work in puts them through. You won't find much of anything from Proto that's cheap, but they are some of the best tools that can be had. They have been used by the military and NASA for many years.

I'll 2nd Wright Tool, I have both the fully polished & satin sets. Both available from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Wright-Tool-958-18...tric+wrench+set
http://www.amazon.com/Wright-Tool-758-18...tion+wrench+set

DSC00017.JPG

I also have the SK 6 point combo's
DSC00017.JPG

The SK flex socket wrenches
DSC00021.JPG

Stahlwille deep offsets (Made in Germany)
DSC00027.JPG

Facom Angle socket wrenches (Made in Czech Republic)
DSC00137.JPG

I like many choices in my wrench sets.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I have a Gearwrench (Taiwan) set, a Harbor Freight (China) set, a made in USA Craftsman set, and a made in USA SK set.

Honestly, the Gearwrench is the best set, followed by the Harbor Freight, followed by SK, followed by Craftsman.

Gearwrench are made by Apex Tool... so is Armstrong, Crescent, Belzer, K-D, Mayle and Sata.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Here are the USA made Craftsman sets. It's there professional line.

http://www.sears.com/search=craftsman professional metric wrench set

Some of those are USA made, but others are Chinese.

The ones just branded "Craftsman Professional" have a good chance of being Chinese unless they send you old stock they have laying around. The Professional wrenches turned Chinese quite a while ago.

But the ones in that link branded "professional use" are actually Craftsman Industrial wrenches. Sears seems to release some limited parts of the Industrial line on its website from time to time. They're normally sold by industrial outlets like Grainger. The Craftsman Industrial sets will be USA made.

I may just have to cough up the money and go for the sk set. Those in the picture look nice. I have an sk 3/8 socket set I bought 10 years ago and they held up very well. I put my sk ratchet through [censored] and it never slipped. Even used snap on and mac wrenches go for a premium on ebay when I checked. I just want a good set. I have been pleased with my craftsman sae wrenches but I can't say the same for even there older USA made ratchets. A few years back I had one of there ratchets slip causing me to smash up my knuckles pretty bad.

Originally Posted By: Jschreffler81
I may just have to cough up the money and go for the sk set. Those in the picture look nice.

Please allow me to save you from those behemoths. The beams are square with sharp corners and for some reason - SK feels the need to amass a huge amount of steel around the box area. You can thank me later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back