2015 Colorado oil chioce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

A friend of mine picked up a 2015 Colorado Z71. It has the 3.6L. I have to say I am very impressed with this truck! Anyways, he drives about 20 miles to work each way pretty much all highway. What are you guys thinking on an OCI? How are things coming along with the D.I. issues? Or any issues with this engine?

Use something like a mobil 1 or Pennzoil platinum and follow the OLM, or maybe a napa synthetic and change it out at 5k which can be had at $3 a quart when on sale? He uses Napa gold filters.

Thanks

If he's planning on following the OLM, Id probably try the Pennzoil 5w30 blend first. Its cheap and Dexos approved. Plus chances are, it'll last as long a synthetic since the OLM will be followed and he's doing highway miles.

If he wants to get adventurous, try a synthetic after that to see how long it lasts and go from there.

Go conservative the first few changes, and then pull a sample to UOA. If the syn blend will meet the mission, use it.

Your call, but I would change out the factory fill before 2,000 miles, then just use a oil that meets the specs in the manual and follow the OLM. No need to make it any more complicated than necessary. Synthetic or blend, it will not make a lot of difference.

Since the DI 3.6L GM engines are hard on oil, I wouldn't use anything less than a high quality full synthetic.

GM recommends and endorses Mobil 1 and it's Dexos 1 approved.

I would say have him run Mobil 1 after the first 1,000 miles. Mobil 1 and a Fram Ultra 15K oil filter would be the best and cheapest way to go since both are available at any Walmart.

Last edited:
Hello MuzzleFlash40, considering your questions may have warranty implications, we looked up the Owner’s Manual for a 2015 Colorado with a 3.6 L engine. We show the following as important notes concerning the motor oil and motor oil maintenance:

1. A Dexos 1 rated, 5W-30 multi-viscosity oil is required (hence, Pennzoil would recommend the following semi-synthetic and/or full synthetic products for this application: Pennzoil Gold Synthetic Blend 5W-30, Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-30 motor oil with PurePlus Technology, or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-30 motor oil with PurePlus Technology. All three of these products carry the GM Dexos 1 rating/approval.
2. You should not arbitrarily extend your oil drain interval (whether you use a synthetic motor oil or not), as the Owner’s Manual stipulates that you should change your engine oil within 600 miles of the Oil Change Indicator Light coming on.
3. If your Oil Change Indicator Light happens to be reset accidentally, you should change your oil within 3,000 miles of your last oil change.

Hope some of this info helps MuzzleFlash40! - The Pennzoil Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back