DIY snowblower impeller enhancer..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lars11
you do that, I think mine is boggs down less with the paddles in place and it's only an old hs50

Darn it. You've got me worried since my old Ariens has a HS40 on it. I sure hope it doesn't bog that badly.

What is it about the impellers that makes the machine bog down? Is it their extra weight/mass or the friction of the impellers on the case?

Well, maybe there are different opinions on this: My machine bogs down -Less- with the impeller kit. The first minutes they touched the blower housing due to slight off-alignment of the axle but when the flaps were worn-in, the blower seemed to throw snow farther and bog down less. Maybe because it doesn't choke in the auger feed with an efficient impeller.

However, theoretically I could see that it would make some engines work -harder- too:
With a impeller kit, the impeller size AND the pump efficiency increases a bit which would make it perform more work per revolution, ie. use more power.

But, for me, it seemes that less choking offsets the increase in power required for the impeller so... It works better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
What is it about the impellers that makes the machine bog down? Is it their extra weight/mass or the friction of the impellers on the case?

Bror, my theory is, when you make the clearance tighter, there's less 'slippage' allowed for material being rotated in the impeller housing as it's being scooped and accelerated.

In essence, stock form allows for bypassing. Tighten the clearance, the machine is forced to 'pump' it.

The other issue I've encountered is more impeller freezing. You've got to make sure to knock as much loose snow off as possible. Rotating the impeller so one blade isn't left pointing down to the low point helps.

Like I say though, everyone's experience is going to vary on this!! I'm sure higher dollar, heavier built machines (such as in Lars11 case) wouldn't even notice. A 7hp, 24" MTD does notice. It asks more out of the engine and auger belt. Would I do this mod again? Sure.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I've been thinking about this .. but have been hesitant to drill into my Ariens with just 20 hours on the clock.

Also, my machine is also stored away from where I live so working on it is not quite so easy. I have to transport tools, lighting, etc ... and the project is not easy to stop and start.

These enhancements vary widely according to the owners preference, materials availability and mechanical skill. I'm not surprised that different owners have had completely different impressions.

My machine is a 11528 ... 11.5ftlbs, 28" path. The 250cc B&S motor is perhaps a bit smoother than the equivalent Tecumseh Ariens used to use, but I remembered the Tecumseh 11.5hp having more power and not bogging down so much in the 6"+ snow falls. I wish the 28" machine came with the 305cc engine.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still on the fence about changing mine. It definitely would have helped during that wet storm we had right before Thanksgiving.

Probably.
The biggest difference is with the wet stuff. With my original impeller, the wet snow just kind of "puked" out the chute. With the improved impeller it actually throws it quite far. Just keep the right pace.

I was able to test out my little Ariens with its DIY enhancer on some 5" high drifts about a foot wide. It did pretty well, and a lot better than I thought it would do. I did need to go faster to keep the impeller fed, as there wasn't a terrific amount of snow to blow.

I've done the mod to over 20 snow blowers, and every result has been positive. It doesn't bog down the machine from rubbing on the side, since they only rub for the first few revolutions until the paddles have worn in.

The paddles decrease the clearance between the impeller and the housing, making the machine more efficient. I've actually noticed it helps machines not bog down, because most of the bogging is the result of slush sticking to itself on the wall of the housing. This is why machines will bog down in heavy slush and clog up.

I do recommend that when you do this mod you do two other things. Replace the auger belt (if its a few years old) and wax the inside of the chute. These two things help tremendously on older and smaller machines.

If the machine bogs down it means the carb needs some adjusting, and you probably had problems with it bogging in heavy snow before you did the impeller mod. I like Tecumseh snow engines, but I still have nightmares about their carbs.
grin.gif
The carbs must be perfectly clean and tuned correctly for the machine to run properly. If you have to use the choke at all besides starting, then the engine is not getting enough fuel.

I would not hesitate to do this mod to any 2 stage snow blower, it simply makes the machine more efficient and is a night and day difference for the slushy stuff.

This 7hp OHV Tecumseh is an excellent runner. One of my favorite little engines. Starts 1-2 pulls, nice smooth idle (actually has throttle control) and loads up nice at max governed speed. I've never had to keep the choke on.

I really shouldn't say 'bogs down', because you can overload it the same with or without the enhancement if you try to take too much, too fast or too wet.

I was able to rectify much of the auger belt squealidge with a tweak to the engagement lever tension, and I'm sure a nice new belt is in order. I still gotta stand on my statement that doing this does put more of a load on the auger belt. It's basic physics. You've got more mass and volume to throw.

I second Jeepman's waxing too. I did it another way though; I painted the chute and impeller housing with teflon based paint. That reduce some drag and makes it throw farther and I haven't had a single clog-up since I painted it. Rusty surfaces can really make it suck.

For rusted impellers and discharge chutes, I just found out how great POR15 works. It encapsulates the rust and also cures to a glossy smooth finish that the snow just slides across.

I was thinking of getting this material and bolting 2" wide shims onto the impeller blades. $4.99 + $5.00 S&H.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HG-Neoprene-Strip-3-16-THK-2-W-36-L-30-F-225-F-DUR-60A-E-300/331336626793?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3D921e74b2cda846fdbb0389f14bf535bf%26pid%3D100204%26prg%3D20140407115239%26rk%3D15%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D321519285854

Neoprene too soft?

As for the chute, I give the machine a quick spray with silicone. Seems to work OK. Machine is still too new to repaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back