Is Royal purple worth the extra $$?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: deven
You got the short version answer. I'm done with this thread.

This happens when you fudge the data. You lose creditability.

How did deven fudge anything? The answer you got is just a shorter version of what he posted. Nothing you posted there contradicts what he posted. Sorry but you are stretching in your never ending quest to convert all to be anti RP like you. Talk about credibility loss. Wow.

So as to the composition of our basestocks, we here at Royal Purple use only the finest basestocks that consists solely of Group 4 and 5(PAO/POE basestocks). This is true for all our API, HPS and XPR line up of oils. The differences between the three are our proprietary additive Synerlec and the amount of zinc and phosphorus additive used.

Originally Posted By: dave12511
Royal Purple synthetic oils use a proprietary blend of premium synthetic base stocks including Groups IV(PAOs) and Groups V. The only non-synthetic consumer engine oil we offer is our Royal Purple Break-In Oil.

Seems to be the same answer. One short to a general customer and one a bit more detailed to someone the guy at RP knows better. Both essentially say the same thing.

Thanks NHHEMI.

Originally Posted By: Al

See the UOA below at 9700 miles. Could RP do better? I think not.

Al;

That is a great UOA for sure. I notice some info people usually give here( that also goes on your test slip to Blackstone )when posting a UOA is missing though. Was any top off oil added? Just curious if the 9700 miles was solely on the initial fill oil or was any added at all to top off during the OCI.

Also, in response to your comment... "Could RP do better? I think not." I am curious if you have ever run it to see? Not being a tool but how do you now it couldn't do better than the ST you used? Even Blackstone opened their comments with "Wow!" in reference to 9700 miles of use with ST.

Don't get me wrong very good UOA! Nice. I would like to know if any oil was added at all during the OCI however. And again, unless you have used RP and seen it do worse how can you say it( or any other oil )wouldn't do better? You don't know it couldn't.

11.gif

deven;

We really need to just move on. We have done our best to help the OP and others who may have looked to the thread for real answers that have some basis in reality. Staying now, with the thread deteriorating into the typical for BITOG when RP comes up name calling, personal insults, and same old tired RP bashing is just a waste of our time.

I will always deal with respectful people who genuinely want to learn or who will at least give RP a fair shot if they have never used it. I am tired of dealing with people who have never used it, never will use it and give it a fair chance, and who insist on telling others, including people who actually have used it, not to use it with nothing to base that on at all( other than color or some fictional overpriced myth they continue to perpetuate ).

At this point it is a handful of the usual suspects challenging everything we post and just trying to provoke us. For all their claims that we have proved nothing neither have they. Saying RP is no better than brand X, Y, or Z, if they have never used RP to know, just shows how insubstantial their claims are. Not a one of them has provided a shred of real data to show any brand is superior to RP but they sure do claim it.

We at least have a lot of use with the product, have done engine tears downs, have e-mails from the company, have UOA's, and even have that great cam thread on the Mustangs showing RP to be a top notch performer. WE actually have shown RP to be a good product with real info, real data, and through personal experience. They have provided NOTHING to show it is no better than or worse than any brand. NOTHING!

If you or I told them that their preferred brand was no better than another brand they would be up in arms hollering about we can't say that unless we have a bunch of UOA's showing it is better, actually own the same vehicle they do so the comments apply, have used it for a long time like they have, and so on. Basically they would want real world use, some UOA's, and other data to back up claims made about "their brand". It is ok though for them to bloviate about RP without ever using it or providing the same info they ask of us. Amazes me they can't see the hypocrisy in their words. Double standard anyone?

Let them have the last word and have their self perceived victory. I have better things to do than try and discuss this fine product with people who have no genuine desire to even give RP a chance and who refuse to listen to the views of, or even be respectful of, those who have used it.

We have both provided factual info and data along with our personal experience( which we have and these naysayers do not ). No point in even trying any longer with the people still here going after us. I for one will not even read the thread any more and that way I won't be tempted and dragged back in as I have been once already.

Have a good Christmas and job well done in this thread.
thumbsup2.gif

Bought on a Amazon deal awhile back, 6 qts of RP 5W-20 HPS, and a RP filter for 42$, running it now, runs smooth on a engine with 86,000 miles.
Probably buy it from now on, because I like it.

deven;

We really need to just move on. We have done our best to help the OP and others who may have looked to the thread for real answers that have some basis in reality. Staying now, with the thread deteriorating into the typical for BITOG when RP comes up name calling, personal insults, and same old tired RP bashing is just a waste of our time.

I will always deal with respectful people who genuinely want to learn or who will at least give RP a fair shot if they have never used it. I am tired of dealing with people who have never used it, never will use it and give it a fair chance, and who insist on telling others, including people who actually have used it, not to use it with nothing to base that on at all( other than color or some fictional overpriced myth they continue to perpetuate ).

At this point it is a handful of the usual suspects challenging everything we post and just trying to provoke us. For all their claims that we have proved nothing neither have they. Saying RP is no better than brand X, Y, or Z, if they have never used RP to know, just shows how insubstantial their claims are. Not a one of them has provided a shred of real data to show any brand is superior to RP but they sure do claim it.

We at least have a lot of use with the product, have done engine tears downs, have e-mails from the company, have UOA's, and even have that great cam thread on the Mustangs showing RP to be a top notch performer. WE actually have shown RP to be a good product with real info, real data, and through personal experience. They have provided NOTHING to show it is no better than or worse than any brand. NOTHING!

If you or I told them that their preferred brand was no better than another brand they would be up in arms hollering about we can't say that unless we have a bunch of UOA's showing it is better, actually own the same vehicle they do so the comments apply, have used it for a long time like they have, and so on. Basically they would want real world use, some UOA's, and other data to back up claims made about "their brand". It is ok though for them to bloviate about RP without ever using it or providing the same info they ask of us. Amazes me they can't see the hypocrisy in their words. Double standard anyone?

Let them have the last word and have their self perceived victory. I have better things to do than try and discuss this fine product with people who have no genuine desire to even give RP a chance and who refuse to listen to the views of, or even be respectful of, those who have used it.

We have both provided factual info and data along with our personal experience( which we have and these naysayers do not ). No point in even trying any longer with the people still here going after us. I for one will not even read the thread any more and that way I won't be tempted and dragged back in as I have been once already.

Have a good Christmas and job well done in this thread.
thumbsup2.gif

Agreed. I'm moving on as well after this reply. Merry Christmas and thanks for your support in this thread!!

Al said:
Don't get me wrong very good UOA! Nice. I would like to know if any oil was added at all during the OCI however. And again, unless you have used RP and seen it do worse how can you say it( or any other oil )wouldn't do better? You don't know it couldn't.

11.gif

This is my daughters vehicle and it was very tight early on. I doubt any oil was aded. I have been on BITOG since 02, and earlier on I was very anal with oils. I finally came to see that oil is oil. I could never conclude one oil was better than another no matter how expensive or cheap...no matter if the add packs were "strong" or "weak". Plain old wallyworld oils seemed to do as well as the expensive syns. Different oils on the same vehicles didn't seem to matter unless other things were going on. That's why I stopped being "active" in BITOG. But I still checked it every month or two.

Dozens of UOA's on at least 8 vehicles that I tested with at least a dozen different oils didn't lead me to change my conclusions. Also 'back in the day' it was common knowledge that RP seemed to shear back more than it should have. I don't think anyone though concluded that it produced inferior results.

RP certainly has a low-tech add pack. No Titanium or Boron AW. Lots of sodium and nominal moly as AW. I have rarely or never seen a better UOA for that mileage than the one above. But then again the Subaru EJ is known for good. UOA's. Can I prove that RP will not give better UOA's?...No. But I 'know' it won't.

Maybe, maybe not. I change oil every 13 days so I just use PP or PUP because its cost effective. I used to sell royal purple in 2000 and the old synerlec oils were great at 6-7 bucks each. Havent used the new stuff yet. I will say that the synchromax is great gear oil/transfer case oil for toyota tacoma. Most I ever spend on oil was Motul 300v 5w30 and it ran awesome but over 30.00 for 2L isn't cost effective. If RP makes you get a buzzing sensation and you feel good; then keep using it.

deven;

Thank you and deven too.

Bottom line is the RP haters are just going to hate. They want to provoke an argument, they will not acknowledge simple facts about RP because of their eternal efforts to smear a fine product.

Saddest thing to me is that they MISLEAD the casual BITOG reader with all the garbage they do post. They have torpedoed the credibility this forum with their blind hatred, at least far as RP is concerned. Sad, sad, sad.

Once again, thanks, NHHEMI & deven.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
This has got to be the most controversial motor oil on the face of the earth.
smile.gif

I wouldn't go that far, I'd say maybe one of the most controversial motor oils on the face of the earth.

Well, in the final analysis, spending $8, $9, $10 or whatever is not a waste, if the buyer is satisfied with the results and is willing to separate themselves from the money it takes to buy a product. Each of us is different in that regard. That is why there are so many oils available. To fill each and every market niche. This is the same with why there are so many cell phone varieties, desktop and laptop computers, autos and pickups. Each person has in mind what they want, the price level they are comfortable with, and all is well.

To say any boutique oil is a waste is analogous to saying that a Corvette is a waste. After all, the Vette is a lousy vacation vehicle for a family. It can't really haul anything beyond a few bags of groceries and a passenger. So it must be a total waste of money to buy one. But those that buy them, do not buy them for their versatility in a broad range of situations. So, it is not a waste to those that find they fit their needs and are willing to pay the price for one. I wouldn't buy one, but then, a vehicle I would buy has to be more versatile, and is called upon to do a lot more than commute. Same for an oil. I would not be inclined to shell out for something like RP, Redline, whatever boutique oil, but I really could care less if others feel it is the cat's meow for them. They are happy, so no problem.

No retort to Al's UOA from the RP supporters? They picked now to bow out? Interesting. I'm left to conclude that RP can not produce better UOA than regular OTC oil. Wait. I already knew that.

Originally Posted By: WillB
Is RP worth paying the premium for? Gesr oil? trans fluid? engine oil?

Hello, fanboys! The OP was quite clear in his question.

The answer is very simple. ANYTHING is worth it if you want to buy it. We all seem to be a bit different, eh?

Perhaps that is why there is more than one kind of oil?

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
No retort to Al's UOA from the RP supporters? They picked now to bow out? Interesting. I'm left to conclude that RP can not produce better UOA than regular OTC oil. Wait. I already knew that.

Let's see in the 9+ years I've been on BITOG I have read literally thousands of UOA reports and I do UOAs on my personal vehicles virtually every oil change and in all that time I have probably seen maybe 10 or less horrible UOAs. Even then in those bad UOAs not all of them if any were the oils fault.
As I have said before even the most cheapest API certified motor oil will in all likelihood give you a long healthy engine life. So why do many of us here choose to pay more for motor oil? Because we choose to equate "synthetic" oil to be better than conventional oil thus wanting "better" for our substantial investment(I.E. we rarely see someone using supertech oil on a brand new car but usually its on an old beater car).
Why do I choose to spend extra $$ on Royal Purple? Do I think its a better oil than other synthetics? Yes absolutely. Do I think its going to give me better longevity? Yes if I'm keeping the car for over a million miles but no if I'm only keeping it for 300,000 miles. ANY modern oil will do that!! I CHOOSE to use Royal Purple because I have NEVER used an oil that gives me a combination of a little more power AND my engines are the quietest/smoothest on Royal Purple. To me those two reasons are good enough to warrant the extra $$ spent on motor oil.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

Let's see in the 9+ years I've been on BITOG I have read literally thousands of UOA reports and I do UOAs on my personal vehicles virtually every oil change and in all that time I have probably seen maybe 10 or less horrible UOAs. Even then in those bad UOAs not all of them if any were the oils fault.
As I have said before even the most cheapest API certified motor oil will in all likelihood give you a long healthy engine life. So why do many of us here choose to pay more for motor oil? Because we choose to equate "synthetic" oil to be better than conventional oil thus wanting "better" for our substantial investment(I.E. we rarely see someone using supertech oil on a brand new car but usually its on an old beater car).
Why do I choose to spend extra $$ on Royal Purple? Do I think its a better oil than other synthetics? Yes absolutely. Do I think its going to give me better longevity? Yes if I'm keeping the car for over a million miles but no if I'm only keeping it for 300,000 miles. ANY modern oil will do that!! I CHOOSE to use Royal Purple because I have NEVER used an oil that gives me a combination of a little more power AND my engines are the quietest/smoothest on Royal Purple. To me those two reasons are good enough to warrant the extra $$ spent on motor oil.

I didn't realize an oil could produce more power. I switched to RP two months ago and 4000 miles later, I haven't noticed any difference (nor was I expecting any). I agree with you on the quiet part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back