Car with worst cruise control you had?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2000 CRV- the controls were easy, but it was slow to add gas and eventually you'd be at 5000rpms because of a mild hill. I had to pay attention to my speed with the cruise set unless it was extremely flat.

ref

Probably the same as the cruise on my '87 LeSabre.

The idea of putting the cruise control on the turn signal stalk was not one of GM's better ideas.

Originally Posted By: brandini
1991 Pontiac bonneville
Horrid controls, had to be a contortionist to use that stalk, and didn't have enough gain so it reacted too slowly and with a never-locking torque converter it'd coast way over speed.

My 97' Camry - 2.2L Auto. I think the cruise cable was out of adjustment or something, it couldn't do full throttle with cruise control. It would slow way down on hills and I'd have to step in and speed it back up with the gas pedal.

I never had any complaints about the cruise on the turn signal stalk. I prefer that old set up over my newer vehicles with it on the wheel. I don't like all the cluter on the wheel. My CTS has so many buttons I have to read and think each time to use them.

I don't think cruise on the turnsignal stalk was that bad, a lot of newer cars have a smaller stalk dedicated to cruise down at 5 o'clock and it's really tough to see what direction does what.

I do like that newer cars tell you what the speed is set to on the display, and you can knock the shifter into manual mode to keep it from downshifting up every little grade.

78 pontiac firebird - at steady speed, a/c would click on, rpm /speed drops, cruise then jerks the speed back up, then cycle repeats in reverse.

my toyotas I can't feel the a/c compressor or the cruise

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Our Saturn doesn't even have cruise control, which I don't understand because it has pretty much every other option you could get on a 2000 Saturn...power windows/locks, A/C, CD player, fog lights, spoiler, 3rd door, even the power sunroof, but no cruise control.

Then there was the 95 F-150 I had that had no options... crank windows, manual locks, plastic floor, no A/C, plain bench seat...but it did have cruise control.

You can add cruise control to the Saturn very easily. I added it to mine, just find a donor car with cruise and nab the steering wheel, cruise module that controls the pedal (get the bolts and grommets too) and nab the underhood engine pcm (make sure you get the correct one, sohc/dohc, auto/manual are not interchangeable in this case)

My worst is my mom's car, an 02' Mercedes E430. Honestly, there's just not much about that car I like at all. It is kinda quick though.

Last edited:
2006 Subaru Forester. It would drop 5 mph on a hill before deciding to add throttle/downshift. Then, as you came over the hill it would keep the throttle until it was 10mph over where it was set before it cut off. What a great way to get a ticket.

My Tundra. It drops a bit of speed on a hill (understandable) then downshifts twice and winds out. Then if I'm unlucky it will hunt a bit between gears.

The Camry doesn't hunt but it doesn't hold speed precisely.

My Jetta does pretty good, but I can feel go wot at times, and it can overshoot a bit.

These days I use cruise on flat roads, and most of the time not even then.

I've never had really bad cruise control - except on a '76 GMC Truck.

My current G35 has an issue which is not so much the cruise control as engine management, on a long down hill the throttle will close and the car will decel. The slightest crack of the throttle will cause the car to accel. So on a long downhill, rinse and repeat. There is also typically a lurch as it transitions on/off throttle. My last G35 did the same thing - I think it only affects manual transmission cars.

The best is probably my wife's BMW - it just works perfectly including using the brakes and downshifting to maintain distance and speed on hills.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I never had any complaints about the cruise on the turn signal stalk. I prefer that old set up over my newer vehicles with it on the wheel. I don't like all the cluter on the wheel. My CTS has so many buttons I have to read and think each time to use them.

Me too. My WS6 is that way on the turn signal stalk. Single stalk operation, the rest of my GM stuff went "import" I don't like it. Love the single stalk operation.

I like the cruise on my 96 Saturn a lot... But only after it was fixed. It had a runaway cruise module that would accelerate on its own after you set the cruise.

The Civic's cruise I don't love.. Hard to get the speed you actually want and with a digital speed readout, its kinda annoying. Doesn't set right away when you release either. Set and the speed drops, and then goes back up. Meh. But it technically works fine so I really don't hate on it.

93 GM Pontiac GrandPrix SE , it was vacuum controlled and got stuck open when I was on I 70. Had to stop, turn off car and pull all hoses. Scary for me, luckily I rid myself of that lemon. Only excitement Pontiacgave me was getting away from it. Now thats driving excitement.

If you have ever driven a mercedes 300d with a bad cruise control amp then every other working cruise control seems like the cats meow. If i put on my cruise control it constantly accelerates then decelerates at least 60 times a minute.

Originally Posted By: Fordtrucktexan
My worst is my mom's car, an 02' Mercedes E430. Honestly, there's just not much about that car I like at all. It is kinda quick though.

The cruise control of my '00 E430 is on a small stalk on the left side of the steering wheel, it wasn't as intuitive as in a Honda but it wasn't as bad as 2006 Volvo V70.

First worst was a $49 K-Mart one with an electric servo motor, that barely had enough torque to move the throttle plate, so had a huge delay. Got tired of thinking up Archimedes' solutions with the stock air cleaner so tossed that unit and bought a proper, $99 vacuum servo motor unit.

It worked much better, but one time the attachment point stuck the throttle at WOT, and I found out you lose vacuum assist brakes when there's no manifold vacuum (something Prius owners would discover decades later). I learned neutral, then a key off in quick succession is the way back from that, but there's only manual brakes and manual steering afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back