License plate bulb replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 96 Grand Marquis and the license plate light went out. I have never had to change one before. Is it a fairly straightforward process? Any suggestions. Do they offer LED alternatives? I looked online it says it takes a T3 bulb that looks like it just slides in.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-...uis--/38-590--/

go down, click on exterior rear.
Careful, guy, you'll incur the "Wrath of Khan" by suggesting a not "approved by Good Houskeeping" LED taillight lamp.
smile.gif
BTW, go for the "warm white" and they'll never tell.

Last edited:
I replaced all the license plate lights with LED's and they are the bright white. Now my tag lights look just like the LED ones on the new Lexus vehicles. Big difference and I like it.

I noticed they say not to use a CAN bulb in a non CAN application. Anyone know what this means? I picked a couple of LED bulbs at Walmart while I was there a bit ago. Don't want a license plate bulb to cause my cars electronics to go whacko if it is not the right application.

The "CAN Bus" is a little network which lets verious computers in new cars talk to each other and to lights and other accessories.
It eliminates a lot of wiring by having each device fed from a common 12 volt supply and turning on and off with a computer signal. Great while it works.
smile.gif
I suspect a CAN enabled bulb will not turn on in a non CAN socket, it will be waiting for a signal the car doesn not produce.

I always use LED license plate lights. Catch them on sale, Superbright usually has discount codes for 5-15% off. Google them. A grand marquis is a non CANBUS car.

Superbrightled provides a fair product. Better is VLED or diodedynamics. Personally, I prefer diodedynamics.

Philips now makes LED lights for cars. They offer Vision LED and X-tremeVision LED. And they offer a 12 year warranty. Even DiodeDynamics only offers a 3 year warranty. And VLED offers a 1 year warranty.

For your car, the Philips LED bulb type is a T10, which is an upgrade to the 168 your Owner's Manual probably calls for. They offer it in both 4000 Kelvin or 6000 Kelvin. I bought mine on Amazon.

I got 1 in and it looks great compared to the old yellow one. Very pleased with it and it was a Wallyworld 2 for less tan $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back