Does anyone here with a Ram 1500 eco-diesel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
tow anything approaching the max tow capacity? How does the engine power handle the load? What happens to the fuel mileage? What are your overall impressions of the truck? I will be in the market in the next 6 months and I am torn between the 2500 with Cummins diesel and the 1500 with the eco-diesel. The mileage difference is substantial, and I will only be towing 10-15% of the time.

Last edited:
10 to 15% of the time?

I'd recommend the eco-diesel then.

The 5.7L 1500 ram handles 10,000lbs just fine, and the 3.0T diesel has even more low end torque. The 10,000lb rating is a chassis and running gear limitation, not a power limitation.

If towing over 8,000lbs I'd recommend 3.73s over 3.55, though.

Someone mentioned running gear. I would strongly suggest a heavier truck to get better (i.e. heavier) running gear (Brakes,shocks,frame,etc.)than what a half-ton truck provides when towing the type of miles you are talking about. With the truck you are talking about your still getting a half-ton.

I towed a 5,500 pound travel trailer with my half-ton gasser 8,000 miles around the USA a couple of years ago. If I were going to tow like you I would have purchased a bigger truck even for a 5,500 pound-30 foot trailer.

And remember - payload is payload and there is nothing you can do to increase what comes stamps inside the driver's door from the factory.

Last edited:
On a 2WD crew cab, some trim levels with the 3.0L hover around 8,000 lbs. towing capacity and other are closer to 9,000 lbs.

That much weight over that much distance?

Get a 2500. It's the right tool for your particular job.

I will get a crew cab 4WD. I might be off on the weight because I am only guessing at the trailer weight, I haven't bought one yet (motorhome for sale). I will be getting a trailer in the 28' range, probably not a 5th wheel.

The big three are complicit in forcing people to buy things they don't necessarily want in order to get a diesel truck. Fancy option packages that bring the price up to 50k+.

Not sure what the Dodge can do but the new f150 can pull the amount you mentioned. Only 10% of the time I can't imagine getting a new 2500 diesel for 10% of the time. The new diesels are over complicated and very expensive to work on. Wouldn't even consider one. Imo.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
The new trucks look like they have more technology than the Apollo spacecraft

A cheapy dollar store calculator has more processing power than the computers used on the Apollo missions.

Towing 8,000 lbs. is no joke. People talk about towing on the internet like it's just another trip to the grocery store. Most truck owners will never tow more than 5,000-6,000 lbs. Taking a 1500 and pulling at today's maximum capacities isn't fun. Doing it for 7,000 miles can be nerve-racking.

Going back to my tool analogy, a painter can get a lot of work done with a ladder or two, but sometimes, scaffolding works better. Sure, it costs more and they will certainly still be using the ladder, but you have to weigh all that against those few times a year when having the right tool makes your job that much more comfortable and safe.

I towed 7000 pounds with my c3 and never again. Drive was useless. Had to do 55 in 3rd,6mpg.
If I was to do it again I'd rent a diesel truck.

I tow about 5500lbs with a F250 supercab 4x4 with the 5.4L V8. I used to tow it with a F150. I can tell you without question the 3/4 ton is a WAY better tow vehicle for any kind of serious towing. No drama, smooth, stable. 1/2 tons are for folks who go hunting, haul stuff, and tow some things for short distances, not 3-7K miles at a lick. I pulled my trailer 4-500 miles a few times, and it would definitely do the job. It was not happy doing it though, and that was with 500lb helper springs in the back and 4.56-1 gear swap! Go with a 3/4 ton for that kind of towing IMO.

Originally Posted By: maximus
Originally Posted By: another Todd
The new trucks look like they have more technology than the Apollo spacecraft

A cheapy dollar store calculator has more processing power than the computers used on the Apollo missions.

The SR 71 plane was built with slide rulers ,,,SO ?

This is going to be a continuing debate when more truck manufacturers (Nissan is getting a light diesel as well) are putting these light diesels in half-ton trucks. All of a sudden there is a mind set that the truck is up to "heavy duty" use even though the other components are indeed "half-ton" grade.

The truck buyers need to open the driver's door and look at the payload figure before purchasing. The motor (whatever it is) will not increase payload on it's own.

Also, most truck buyers seem not to be aware that when you figure in everything you haul/tow together-most trucks (regardless of brand) will run out of payload if you attempt to tow the maximum the manufacturer states.

CKN, very true. My intended use will be mostly daily driver and towing a travel trailer around the country from time to time. I would be under the allowable gross weight limit, but in my experience when you tow and approach the manufacturers stated limits it gets kind of iffy. I think the 2500 diesel is over kill, and maybe the 1500 diesel is not up to the task, hence my questions. If I remain torn, I will error on the side of over kill and get the 2500.

My personal attitude is size the truck for the largest task you'll need it for and get something else to drive when you don't need to do truck stuff. At that point, the 2500 seems like a better pick. If you were talking a 5 - 6k lb trailer, the half ton would probably do the job just fine. With the heavier trailer, the long drives will be more pleasant in the bigger truck that's not working as hard.

Heck, I've pulled about 6300 lbs with the Jeep in my sig before (rated for 6500). It did ok, even on a 370 mile highway run, but I wouldn't want to do it regularly. It was definitely working hard to do it and didn't have quite as much margin for error as I'd like in the stopping and handling department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back