CARQUEST Red and Blue filters by Champion Labs

Status
Not open for further replies.
no longer Wix eh?

and they even seem to claim that the OE FO MO CO Filters are champ now.

makes me wonder, are the off the shelf Motorcraft switched, or are they still Puro?

Thanks for posting, cool video, they do a great job detailing the filters, I think I will try a red one.
I bet they will be changing over the air filters also.
TOTO.

Wow. Looks like the older traditional Fram base plate and a non ecore Champ element. Interesting. I'd use the blue in a pinch if the MC's weren't available.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
I priced the blue one online.. $9.09 in my area.

With the specs it's carrying it's similar to a Mobil 1 filter.

Car Quest was bought by AAP,and is slowly being phased away.They are closing stores that compete in the same territories with AAP,and one day I bet they will be gone.

Interesting video. Thanks for sharing.

Interesting to see WIX no longer makes these.. I never shopped at Carquest anyways though.. There is one "local" to me like 30 miles in the middle of nowhere. Anyways, how long ago did this happen? AAP still sells WIX made Carquest air filters for my Jeep on their site.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
no longer Wix eh?

and they even seem to claim that the OE FO MO CO Filters are champ now.

makes me wonder, are the off the shelf Motorcraft switched, or are they still Puro?
Believe he's referring to the factory installed filters, which have been Champ for a while. The aftermarket MC filters I've seen are still Purolator.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Believe he's referring to the factory installed filters, which have been Champ for a while. The aftermarket MC filters I've seen are still Purolator.
This.

Very interesting comments on the leaf spring, I've not heard that angle (distribution of pressure) mentioned in regards to those before. Interesting.

I read it right here that metal endcaps " are going away in the filter industry". Or does that only apply when one is dissing competitors.
56.gif

I do note they are not using Champ ecore felt endcap construction used in current AC Delco's. Nor are they using Champ's combo valves in combination with ecores and felt endcaps found in many STP, Firestone, Wally TLE and their Defense filter line. That's a plus.

As for the leaf spring v coil spring discussion, all in the point of view. Leaf springs work but so do coil springs as the previous maker of the Carquest and current maker of the O'R oil filter line and several other respected manufacturers have proven over years of sales. Just a manufacturer preference in combination with overall construction of a filter. Anything else is marketing blather imo.

I also note that the filter dissection presentation doesn't include mention of difference in bypass location and/or shows one of the applications with engine block bypass. Previous maker uses thread end bypass in the majority of applications, as opposed to dome end for the new Carquest line.

As an aside, I see the much discussed GM 1988 filter study of used as reference. There is at least one long time respected member here that disputes the validity of that study to real world use. If interested, easy to find with a google search.

All that said, construction and efficiency specs of the new Carquest line look solid. Price point will be a telling factor. It does seem extraordinary though for a perennial advocate of fiber endcaps acknowledging metal endcaps work just fine.

My .02

I am wondering if the E Core will be used? After watching the video, I noticed that the inside tube portion was not shown.

No these aren't 'ecores'. Ecores don't have metal end caps as that would defeat the 'e' in ecore. Confident these have metal centertube similar to M1 and the older classic AC Delco's

The latest/newest AC Delcos as posted here are ecores, still with nylon centertube cage and felt like endcaps. However, they have modified the design to use Champ/Fram classic metal spring dome bypass. In other words, no Champ combo valve for ACDelco GM applications now using a filter integral bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back