Salvage yard in the snow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been raining pretty heavily today so I'm gonna wait until Sunday to go to the salvage yard.

I was thinking to myself, "what do guys back east do when it snows this time of year?"

What's it like going to the salvage yard in the snow?

I know it's cold, but it's kind of a dry cold isn't it? Over here whenever it's cold, the air is wet.

It can get messy.

There might be some paths cleared to the general location of the vehicles but you're often walking in snow/slush/mud. Then you slip and slide on sheet metal parts that are buried - hoods make a great slide just watch the ornament!

Once you get to the vehicle you might have to dig it out. Sometimes the interior is full of snow so you're sitting in a puddle to strip parts. Then you're dragging everything back to check out.

It's not so bad. I enjoy my visits to the boneyard.

What sucks worse is salvage yards on a dirt lot after a rain. Your walking on the surface of the moon with craters full of water you gotta hopscotch around.

All of the above. Bundle up. Old coveralls and layers are a must. Waterproof boots. At least the place won't be very crowded. Generally, the yards that have a decent turnover rate will get the aisles kind of cleared of snow occasionally, or at least back-dragged. If not, be prepared to follow the other paths the guys who went before left in the snow.

Muddiest junkyard I've ever seen is Victory Auto Wreckers in Bensenville IL near O'Hare which I've never been fortunate enough to see in snow. But the rest of the year, if its wet its a horrible, shoe-sucking thick, oily greenish mud unlike anything I've ever seen before. I can only imagine the mess when it gets some melting snow! But even there the times are changing and they are slowly starting to pave the lot with asphalt.

It's disgusting.

You'll go on a warm day so the snow and ice will form humid fog that lingers.

Oil will form a sheen over the puddles over the ice, so it gets slippery and ugly. The big wheeled equipment they cruise around in compresses the snow into ice in the ruts, and the tire knobs make boot-sole size indentations.

Snow drifts between the cars and sticks around into spring. They pile the cars so you can barely get the doors open anyway. It gets impossible with the snow drifts.

I wear uninsulated rubber garden boots. Typical snow boots can't handle the wetness.

If a car is resting with its wheels off, on its brakes and rocker panels, you can guarantee that ice forms there and you'll have a heck of a time getting a jack in. This also wrecks stuff with rust, like if you want a spindle for its good bearings.

If a car gets its windows smashed, the 40 degree air and perpetual humidity from a winters' worth of snow makes them a moldy mess.

Since I'm there for tires though there's less competition and more idiots putting new all seasons on right before the car gets retired, or wrecked.

Oh, and dropping tools or fasteners in the snow stinks.

At least the hornets, skeeters, and black flies are dormant. And you can exert yourself, shedding layers to not sweat. If you go on a cold dry january day with a milky blue sky it's close to heaven.
01.gif

It becomes a case of you only go if you absolutely have to have it now. Its cold, damp, wet, dirty, and no fun. If it can wait, it does.

I've been in every weather condition. Snow ain't too bad, but then again, I am also used to the white stuff.

I have been in near blizzard before. The fun is in the hunt, and the hunt is still the same no matter what.

I love going to the wreckers.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It's been raining pretty heavily today so I'm gonna wait until Sunday to go to the salvage yard.

I was thinking to myself, "what do guys back east do when it snows this time of year?"

It's sloppy but someone has to do it. I believe its better than discovering a hornets nest in an old heap during the summer time though.

Heck, most of the boneyards I've gone to in the past are gone now. I don't mind getting a bit out of couch potato mode-just dress properly for conditions.

If you have to go to a yard during the winter, you dress for it, simple as that.
Properly dressed, you'll be comfortable in real cold.
I'd rather deal with 10F and a few inches of snow than 70F and a few inches of mud. You can always stamp the snow off of your boots and go inside for a bit if you get too cold.
The best plan is to save your yard visits for the dry days of July, August and September, but you then sweat like a pig in the heat and your need for parts may not respect the calendar.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Bloody miserable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back