Lubriplate Motor Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody remember using Lubriplate motor oil in your car back in the '70s-'80s? Most people think of grease when they hear the Lubriplate name. In the late '70s my pop had a business repairing boat propellers and selling marine supplies to marinas in Minnesota and Wisconsin. He was a distributor for Champion spark plugs and Lubriplate products. My dad had a shelf in our garage with all manner of Lubriplate products. I remember using a chain lubricant spray on my bike chain as a kid, and dad used Lubriplate oil in our cars. They made gear oil for outboard motors and special water-resistant grease for boat trailer wheel bearings. I still have a 5-lb can of Lubriplate white wheel bearing grease that will probably last me until the second coming of [censored]! I just checked out the Lubriplate website; they still make motor oil but mostly straight weights and diesel engine oil. It looks like their bread and butter is food grade grease and other industrial applications. Anyway, you know how it is with childhood memories. I will always associate the Lubriplate name with happy thoughts.

My father ran a small printing and rubber stamp shop out of our basement. He had some Lubriplate products we used on the machinery. He also had some white lithium grease from a company called Farm-Oyl that was and still is based in St. Paul. I still have that can of grease. Funny how you remember this stuff from your childhood.

I remember Farm-Oyl! Back in the '80s my dad had a metal fabrication business in Eden Prairie, MN. There was a guy down the street with a body shop/industrial painting business who would paint some of my dad's products, and the painter had a friend who was a salesman for Farm-Oyl. I had a John Deere hydrostatic tractor at the time, and the Farm-Oyl guy was always telling me how much better it would be if I used his hydrostatic fluid and engine oil.

I lived in MN for 25 years. Then I took a commission in the USAF and Uncle Sam sent me to Texas and a few other places.

I was sick of the cold too.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back