Shell engine teardown of experimental low-viscosit

Status
Not open for further replies.
No... it is called a Glider, not Slider. International does not offer them, I checked with International before I ordered my Freightliner. Freigthtliner is the 500 lb Gorilla when it comes to glider truck offerings in both Freightliner and Western Star varieties. Pete and KW do it also, but very limited in comparison. No one else offers a truck this way. Not Volvo, Mack, International... no one but Freightliner, Pete, and KW. Now, International could really improve their dismal profits if they would pull their head out of their back side and offer the 9900 as a glider. It would sell like hot cakes.

Detroit shelled out 350 million to expand its engine remanufacturing facilities to meet the demand for the Detroit Series 60 being dropped into many of these glider trucks. They had an article recently, where they had perfected a way of "spraying" metal to rebuild a block that had been busted or punched thru by a rod. And it had an equal or greater strength than an original block. The Freightliner dealer where I got mine, near Waterloo, IA, has 21 crews, 7 on each shift around the clock, finalizing glider trucks. When a chassis/body from the factory gets pulled in to their shop for final assembly, they can have the completed truck, ready to go to work, done in less than 21 hours.

I stand corrected! Ask your Freightliner rep if you can order a 2015 Glider without a DPF. You may be surprised by his answer. Take the info with a grain of salt since it came from a KW rep.
Curious to find out the truth...

I am in continuous contact with my dealer on new glider offerings. Now, to be fair in all of this, and lend a little insight to the emissions issue, only certain states, mostly California, require a DPF, even on a pre-emissions diesel. This is NOT a requirement for the nation at large. I was talking with my dealer, Phil Woody of Harrison Truck Center in Elk Run Heights, IA, 800-582-5789, who is in overall charge of their glider build program, and they are offering 2015 Cascadias and Coronados, and they DO NOT have DPF units on them. And it depends on the year of the engine that is installed in the glider. If the original engine was designed as EPA '07 compliant, then yes, it would have to have a DPF on the chassis. An EPA '98 or EPA '03 would not.

http://www.htctrucks.com/freightliner-trucks/glider-kits-by-freightliner/

I have seen dozens of 2015 completed glider trucks on the dealer lot, and have yet to find a DPF on any of them. Of Course, they all had EPA '98 compliant, rebuilt engines in them.

All of the KW glider offerings require a EPA '03 or newer engine as part of the build. That could play into it compared to Freightliner. This is the major reason I have avoided Paccar when it comes to a glider. They are playing a finger tickling game with the government over this when they do not have to, all at the customer expense.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Yet more evidence that thin does not = disaster.

Those engines were not designed (optimized) for thinner lubes, and yet the "new" PC-targeted lubes did just as well in cleanliness and wear protection. It is concievable that as newer engines are designed with the lube in mind, it could become even better.

The lube has no effect (as an input) to the DPF/DEF issues. Indirectly, regens may affect the lube with dilution, but the lube does not affect that DPF/DEF. Why even bring that up?

Lube can have an effect on DPF service intervals to the extent it affects oil consumption. Thinner lubes often have higher consumption, and this means a higher rate of ash accumulation in the DPF, reducing service intervals.

It will also increase soot loading and lead to more frequent regens, though I doubt this would be enough to be measurable unless you had a serious oil consumption problem resulting from thinner lube-- which isn't likely, imo.

But these engines have been designed for some time for "thinner" lubes. Just that many have been caught in a time warp regarding oil viscosities and have failed to open the user's manual. The "thicker is better" idea has really stuck in the trucking community, to wit, the almost cult like following of those that use Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Many heavy diesel OEM's have clearly listed xxw30 weight oils as ok to use. We seem to be talking around the newer engines, but Detroit Diesel, for one, has clearly authorized 10w30 oils, for year round use, in their engines since the 1990's.

Not only Shell, but Delo has done some pretty extensive testing on fleet engines using 30w oils and there is no appreciable problem in doing so. Several fleets I know of are using 30w oils from Shell, Delo, or Schaeffer in all their company semi trucks. All of these fleet trucks are diesels with SCR and DPF systems on them. There has been no evidence that using a "thinner" lube causes any problems with the downstream emissions stuff.

When we cut thru all the clutter, many SCR and DPF issues arise from a lack of proper maintenance and improper engine operation. There is hardly a driver who actually reads the operator's manual, and fleets, generally, don't really instruct drivers on the details of operation regarding DPF equipped engines. Most techs do not even do their proper research on how to properly operate these engines. When techs will still add SCA's to coolants like Red Extended Life coolants that neither have nor require SCA's, (and adding SCA's to such coolant will diminish the life of that coolant) it is a stretch to think that the tech actually understands the nuances of these newer emission equipped engines. And if the tech sure isn't up to speed, the drivers can hardly be expected to be on top of their game regarding this either.

The vis of the oil is hardly a culprit of DPF regens and reliability in comparison to the idiotic operation of these newer engines.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Now, to be fair in all of this, and lend a little insight to the emissions issue, only certain states, mostly California, require a DPF, even on a pre-emissions diesel. This is NOT a requirement for the nation at large.

I wonder who does the calibration of the DPF on the pre-07 emissions engines. Seems like ample opportunity for problems to occur on both the engine and DPF if the system is not controlled properly. But I suppose little problems like that don't register on the radar at CARB.

………….Micro spec'd thing right down to hub seals. And arctic insulation package and premium noise abatement package, Webasto bunk heater, signature interior, built in fridge, and every gauge available in a wood grain dash. Airline style wrap around sleeper cabinets along with standard shelf cabinets and full length clothes closet. All in a 70" midroof sleeper. Meritor dual drive axles with full lockers in each axle. Alcoa durabrite wheels all the way around riding on Michelin rubber. 10 way adjustable air ride, high back seats. Xantrex inverter charger that acts as inverter on batteries, then as a battery charger when connected to AC shore power.

No toilet and shower?
grin2.gif

Just a matter of room! Only so much one can do with a 70" sleeper. That would be a great touch though!! I know of several custom haulers that have stretched out sleepers that have showers and toilets.

Hi,

TiredTrucker,
Just a matter of room! Only so much one can do with a 70" sleeper. That would be a great touch though!! I know of several custom haulers that have stretched out sleepers that have showers and toilets.

WE have a large and vibrant Owner-Driver (OD) trucking component here and have had for many decades. The distances travelled here are vast and the geography varied (Snowy Mountains to Tropics) - as are the commodities involved - livestock to fresh-frozen foods and all else in between. Just look at a map

Most ODs here opt for simple variances to the typical Prime Mover in order to have a sensible Tare weight and of course to observe the various overall length requirements. And of course in the end to have an insurable and re-saleable asset

Interesting - of course off the shelf European trucks are becoming more popular than ever before

Interesting idea with the new truck / rebuilt engine without the emotions stuff.

I recently bought a 2014 Ram 3500 HD that use to transport freight on a 32 foot gooseneck flatbed. It obviously has all the goodies on it and I already felt the pain from these systems while driving through Miami when the "Low DEF" light came on, saying that the truck will be limited to 5mph in 200 miles if DEF is not added... That's right, I'll be on the shoulder, moving at 5mph looking for DEF fluid.

There's none of the name brand truck stops down in Miami for some unknown reason and I came really close to the 5mph limit (40 miles left) when I decided that enough was enough and bought several gallons of DEF at the nearest autozone (was looking for a truck stop to get DEF from like I usualy do).

I now can't wait till the warranty is up and I hit a pothole, causing all of the emission stuff to fall off, hopefully.
wink.gif
hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back