Why Oil Changes Should... Make your Rear PUCKER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: brages
This thread is monumentally stupid. Don't feed the trolls.

x2

I also heard Prius batteries cost $8k and are dead by 100k miles
wink.gif

but if you use Royal Purple 0w20, you'll be fine

Saw $3500 bucks estimated for a new head, no installaton, for a Smart Car recently. I doubt if you will find any car maker any different in terms of parts costs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Just browsing some information today on parts etc. and I see that a new engine complete for my 2013 Camry 4Cyl is around $12,300 pls 21 hours of labor.

My car has a composite plastic Oil Filter Cap and an O-Ring. That's beside the point (except for the O-Ring positioning attention)

Fellas, take it slow and take care. And stay away from the Quicky Lubes. My rear puckers just driving past one.

Thats why cars have low oil lights

GAHHH!!! That's a pet peeve of mine. Most cars don't have "low oil lights." They have a dipstick and that's why the dipstick behind the wheel NEEDS to know how to chck the dipstick under the hood.

Most cars have low oil PRESSURE lights, and yes that should turn on immediately if the filter gasket blows out. But the dipstick behind the wheel still needs to know that a low oil pressure warning means "pull over NOW!!!" and not "throw in a quart of oil when you get done with your trip for the day."

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Just browsing some information today on parts etc. and I see that a new engine complete for my 2013 Camry 4Cyl is around $12,300 plus 21 hours of labor.

I read some years ago an article about cost of parts, it said that the total cost of individual parts at dealer price of a family sedan is about 4-5 times new car price, this cost doesn't include hundreds hours labor to put everything together.

That was an article based on a lumina. 300000 dollars if it was built with new replacement parts sold at retail prices.
There may be more articles like that one but it's the only one I remember.

My rear puckers just driving past one.

Have you considered visiting a doctor for help regarding your rather bizarre medical condition? That sort of aberrant behavior isn't normal.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I think buying used motor(total) for something that recent makes more sense.

I just looked it up and I can get a 4 cyl 2012 Camry engine with 10,000 miles for around $2000.

Originally Posted By: anndel
A tricked out 22RE engine from 22RE Performance costs $3500 plus about 6-8 hours of my labor to install it in my truck. $12K is kinda high.

Sure, but how much simpler is a 22RE when compared to the current Toyota engines? Also, installing an engine in a RWD or 4WD truck is usually easier than installing an engine in a FWD car.

But I agree that the price of that engine is too high. You could have a forged bottom end stroker engine built from that DOHC VVT Toyota engine.

BMW engines are more expensive than a camry, sometimes 5 times as much we do a lot of BMW engines the parts are much more than the toyota engines but in most cases the Toyotas are much better.

bought a used beta 2 with only 52k on the odo and its going in an 07 spectra for $500, go figure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
My rear puckers just driving past one.

Have you considered visiting a doctor for help regarding your rather bizarre medical condition? That sort of aberrant behavior isn't normal.

crackmeup2.gif

As for the $12K engine, it would be interesting to see how many times that part number has been ordered. Probably never. Complete OE engines can be really expensive, but are rarely used. I would bet that part # isn't even available, crated up, and ready to ship.

Why on earth would ANYONE order a Brand New engine from the Dealership into an old Camry that isn't even worth 12k (assuming the car has some miles on it before the original engine SOMEHOW failed to the point that an entirely new block is needed)

You can get a nicely used engine FROM JAPAN for under $3,000 and find a local mechanic to install it for $500.

You guys are crazy.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
I have changed my own oil since I was 16 years old. If you can't correctly change your oil well enough to not worry about it all the time you need fat crayons and lincoln logs.

I have about the same thoughts as you.

I've also been changing my own oil since I was 16, so 20 years now, and have never fretted about it. Also change oil on customer cars- don't fret about that either.

Knock on wood, I've NEVER made a mistake while doing an oil change!

Since we do multiple oil changes every month right here in my driveway it seems the "dangers" are a bit misrepresented here.

It's not rocket science. Heck, it's so easy the lowest guy on the totem pole can do it at a dealership (and usually he does do them!)...

My OEM factory remanned Detroit engine was $17,000 after the core exchange. Without core, $23,000. That was 2012, so prices are up. I have no problem taking it, as I have done with past engines, to a truck "quick lube" and having them do it. 10 gallons of oil is a pain to deal with at home. I just bring the oil I want to use, they stock the filters I want to use, and I let them do the job. Drive in, have a cup of coffee, let them get messy, and drive out and go right back to work.

I do my own personal vehicles at home, but that is more of a bonding thing than any fear of having someone else do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back