Do they make an LED bulb for this application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Above stove microwave. They are small 30 watt appliance bulbs. I had to switch bedrooms recently thus I have to go through the kitchen to the bathroom so I've been using the microwave light for a nite-light and was wondering if they made a replacement LED, thanks. I was in Lowes and Home Depot last week and nothing found.

Once you figure out what size bulb that is, just type "LED [bulb type]" into eBay or Amazon and take your pick.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Once you figure out what size bulb that is, just type "LED [bulb type]" into eBay or Amazon and take your pick.

I just started some research and found this statement on one LED site.

"Please note our appliance grade LEDs are not usable for Microwaves, ovens or any other appliance that generates a large amount of heat."

Originally Posted By: Blaze

"Please note our appliance grade LEDs are not usable for Microwaves, ovens or any other appliance that generates a large amount of heat."

I think they mean the bulb that goes inside the oven. For an undercounter bulb, you're fine with an LED.

I know it isn't what you are asking for but a cheap alternative would be a LED night light. I got a free energy saving box from my electric provider that included four LED night lights. They are flat squares with a LED screen that is somewhere around 1.5 X 2.0 inches.

You can get something similar from Lowes or Home Depot, two pack for $5.10 at Lowes and $5.97 at HD. They are only 1/2 Watt units. Just search for LED night light at either Lowes or HD.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Blaze

I think they mean the bulb that goes inside the oven. For an undercounter bulb, you're fine with an LED.

Not for above a stovetop that generates significant heat when cooking. LED bulbs need to shed heat, and assuming the original poster is talking about the under-microwave light above a stove, it would get hot enough to significantly shorten the lifespan of the bulb.

How about CFL bulb, is it usable inside microwave ? I think LED inside refrigerator/freezer is okay but not inside microwave or above stovetop.

I have an LED (40 watt from Lowes, $3.98) above my stove.

I don't do any heavy duty cooking, however.

It seems heat is the issue. The area is also enclosed with a piece of glass. So the glass will also retain heat plus being above the stove. Maybe its not a good idea after all?

I ran into this about three years ago. I couldn't find an LED to replace mine so, I found a three pack of puck lights at Lowes with peel off adhesive, wired them into the light, stuck the on underneath, and they've been burning non-stop ever since.

They likely won't dim if you have that type switch but, I don't care. Most LEDs don't anyway. There may be better options but, I'm happy with mine. You can't see the lights themselves unless you get down low and look up.

Also, you may be able to find an adapter for another type bulb if you can figure out what your current type bulb is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
How would the moisture, from say boiling water right under it, affect the longevity of the bulb?

Three years... Six LEDs (2x3) ...all still burning 24/7.

This is a gas range that works pretty hard too.

I think a big issue with LEDs is they're really not suited for the 100+ year old fixture designs due to the low current draw. I've replaced a few fixtures rather than installing LED bulbs in incandescent fixtures and I think they perform much better.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
How about CFL bulb, is it usable inside microwave ? I think LED inside refrigerator/freezer is okay but not inside microwave or above stovetop.

That also has power electronics in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back