Need some gear oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Going to service the differentials on my grandparents cars. The 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ has the G80 limited slip with 3.73 gears (2 wheel drive) 102k miles, I don't think its ever been touched and the 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 has a limited slip rear end, 135k miles, I believe it was serviced at one point in its life. I was thinking of using Mobil 1 75w90 in both cars but I'm not sure it meets the requirements of the cars or not, the couple dollars extra for Mobil 1 isn't a big deal either so don't worry about price.

There is a LS version of the Mobil 1, which you could use in both.

Folks here on BITOG also seem to like the Valvoline Synpower (also LS), which you should be able to get at Autozone. It is slightly cheaper than the M1 and is a J2360 fluid, which is a civilian version of a gear oil MIL-SPEC. The current listing of J2360 lubricants can be found at http://www.pri-network.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/LRI-QPL-8-26-14-on-line.xls . BTW, M1 is not on the approval list. They may meet the spec, just not pay for the testing or to be on the approval list, for all I know, buy I do know that some Delvac gear oils are on there and it seems strange to get some product lines approved and not others. My point is that Synpower can be used with utmost confidence. If I was to buy local (instead of online), I would have gone with the Synpower.

When I did the diffs on my Burb, I went with Renewable Lubes. Maybe check out Renewable Lubricants on Amazon if you are looking for another option.

Check Zoro for a fair price and free shipping 'till Christmas.

Last edited:
I would use whatever meets the required spec. I doubt any particuliar brand will make any difference.

You would need to read your owner's manuals. Some vehicles take 75w140 gear oil, and I don't know if that is what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back