Are Ridgid power tools any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have a 5 year warranty. Others I'm considering are Milwaukee and Dewalt. More specifically, I'm looking at a drill and impact 2 drill set.

My dad swears by Milwaukee but he uses his tools for work. I'm just using them around the house from time to time and would use the impact to save time while working on cars instead of manually turning wrenches.

The Dewalt comes with a 3 year warranty, not sure on the Milwaukee.

I know I want lithium ion powered set in 18v or 20v.

Any suggestions?

I have a lot of ridgid tools I have the X4 18v. Do they not have the lifetime warranty anymore?

Mine have held up well as a consumer.

Edit. The Home Depot still has the lifetime warranty on these.

Last edited:
I misread, I thought the lifetime was on the batteries only. But that's nice having a lifetime warranty.

Even though I am happy with DeWalt, if I were to buy anything going forward, it has to be M18 Fuel Brushless; nothing else will do!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Even though I am happy with DeWalt, if I were to buy anything going forward, it has to be M18 Fuel Brushless; nothing else will do!

What's the benefit of brushless?

I'm happy with my Milwaukee stuff. That said, if the warranty is good, the ridgid is worth a look. Feel in hand, what tools they have and how much they and the battery costs is a lot to consider too.

I have a Ridgid drill and impact driver combo I bought wkth the lifetime warranty from Home Depot a couple years ago. I have zero complaints, the batteries bold a charge forever and the price was great. The lifetime warranty on the batteries was the deciding factor for me.

Originally Posted By: Edmond

What's the benefit of brushless?

I would assume one benefit would be that you never have to change brushes....
I've got the M18 Fuel brushless drill and impact driver set. My employer has gone away from DeWalt and is now buying Milwaukee and they don't plan on ever going back to DeWalt. I've got a co-worker who praises DeWalt and bad-mouths Milwaukee, but it's funny that he's always borrowing my set and his DeWalt remains in the case.
YMMV.

Last time I looked at a Milwaukee power tool, it was made in China. Don't know if they're making all of them there now, but if they are, I would just get what's cheaper.

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
I have a Ridgid drill and impact driver combo I bought wkth the lifetime warranty from Home Depot a couple years ago. I have zero complaints, the batteries bold a charge forever and the price was great. The lifetime warranty on the batteries was the deciding factor for me.

Same reasons I bought their cordless hammer drill after my Milwaukee batteries died. That was 4-5 years ago. Its fallen off the roof and been used as a hammer the odd time...
What do people use these little impact drivers for though? My drill does 40ft/lbs which drives a good size lag bolt, let alone 3" deck screws. And with an impact attachment it easily does lugs on the car. Pretty much matches my 250ftlb corded impact gun.

every single one of them will be made in china; that boat has already sailed.

for equivalent amount of weight/voltage brushless delivers 20-25% more torque/battery life. also no sparking and less parts to wear out. very few brushed motors make it easy to replace brushes yourself [unless you buy Harbor Freight; they INCLUDE spare brushes in the box!], so unless you are willing to do the brush replacement job yourself, figure out how to get to the brushes without having the rest of the tool explode on you during the disassembly and find matching brushes on the internet, brush replacement would be the end of life for the tool.

you will pay premium for brushless but in my opinion it will be worth it.

having said that, often HD has Ridgid or Ryobi two 18V lithium tool set under $100 and that is one heck of a deal. That impact driver can take off correctly torqued lug nuts with the hex to 1/2 drive adapter!

So if you want cheap and good get that but if you want the best with price no objective it would be M18 Fuel for me.

I mostly agree with the above. For a homeowner, I felt that the price difference and Lifetime Service Agreement for the Ridgid tools was good enough.

Assuming that price somewhat equates to quality, I wanted something slightly above Ryobi, but not as much as Dewalt/Milwaukee/Bosch.

I've had my X4 Drill/driver set for over a year now with no issue. I bought a tool only circular saw and that's been fine as well (although I wish I had the extended battery for saw use).

My next tool will likely be the tool only Impact Wrench for removing lug nuts.

Based solely on anecdotes I've read, if I were to purchase an 18V set for heavier duty (work) use, I'd probably be getting the Milwaukee M18 Fuel line.

IndyIan, I was thinking the same thing, I almost never use that little impact driver, I don't really know what niche application it I would use it for. Is the torque wrench adapter something like this: http://toolmonger.com/2010/04/14/turn-just-about-any-drill-into-an-impact-driver/

I saw that a while ago, looks interesting, but I have no idea where to buy one. I would love to skip buying a impact wrench and just use my cordless drill.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Same reasons I bought their cordless hammer drill after my Milwaukee batteries died. That was 4-5 years ago. Its fallen off the roof and been used as a hammer the odd time...
What do people use these little impact drivers for though? My drill does 40ft/lbs which drives a good size lag bolt, let alone 3" deck screws. And with an impact attachment it easily does lugs on the car. Pretty much matches my 250ftlb corded impact gun.

Once you buy an impact driver (or wrench), you will never go back to regular drill for this type of jobs. You will be wondering why was I trying to use drill on screws or bolt!

Originally Posted By: EdwardC

IndyIan, I was thinking the same thing, I almost never use that little impact driver, I don't really know what niche application it I would use it for. Is the torque wrench adapter something like this: http://toolmonger.com/2010/04/14/turn-just-about-any-drill-into-an-impact-driver/

I saw that a while ago, looks interesting, but I have no idea where to buy one. I would love to skip buying a impact wrench and just use my cordless drill.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

That's the impact driver attachment I use for lugs, Mastercraft is Canadian Tire's own brand. Its loud but with a healthy drill it works well for occasional use. The body is plastic and didn't appreciate a autocross whole season of zipping the Neon up and down on the scissor jack(it also wore out the the jack), and 20 tire changes, but I got another for free and the odd time Can tire had them on sale for $10. Try ebay I guess.

Having owned all 3 of those brands I'd rate them as Milwaukee is by far the best with rigid taking a close second.
I wouldn't rate dewalt as third ,rather I'd rate them last. As in dead last. As in junk,garbage,not work buying.

Once you buy an impact driver (or wrench), you will never go back to regular drill for this type of jobs. You will be wondering why was I trying to use drill on screws or bolt!

So you think I can just get an impact and be done? I won't even have a need for the drill?

What do you guys think of Makita?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back