Opinions on the Purafiner bypass filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed these for sale as NOS. The one advantage they appear to have over the Frantz or Motorguard filters is the electrically heated evaporation chamber. I have an 04 Sienna which has the usual inadequate venting and dirty oil as a result. I thought one of these might help.

if it has the oil that is heated. that will help drive moisture out of the oil. if it doesnt get to hot, and burn the oil. with the moisture gone that will reduce acids in the oil. most or all acids are water base. for every gal of gasoline you burn you make all most a gal of water. gasoline has C and H water has O. the O and H combine the chamber to make water. H2O. why do you get so much water out of your tail pipe? there is NOT that much water in the air. it is MADE in the chamber.

It is my opinion that the unit will not add any appreciable lifecycle to your equipment.

It is my opinion that the unit will have the ability to add lifecycle to your lube, but only if you leave it in place long enough.

It is my opinion that you'll never recoup the cost of purchase and maintenance relative to any reasonable ROI.

many many years ago i found a "white paper" by Oklahoma O.U. on long engine life. the short story is to get 400,000- 500,000 miles of life you need to get the engine oil dirt down below 2-3 microns. i am sure there are other testing.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
It is my opinion that the unit will not add any appreciable lifecycle to your equipment.

It is my opinion that the unit will have the ability to add lifecycle to your lube, but only if you leave it in place long enough.

It is my opinion that you'll never recoup the cost of purchase and maintenance relative to any reasonable ROI.
I have to give you credit.Your opinion will save people money. I am curious.Do you test oil or use any special filter? What do you base your opinion on? Just curious.

Not needed. I have known some courriors that reach that mileage. The secret is putting on the miles with the engine at operating temps, because that is where the lowest wear occurs at any type of operation. Not to leave out a high quality air filter and sealed intake plumbing.

Quote:
the short story is to get 400,000- 500,000 miles of life you need to get the engine oil dirt down below 2-3 microns.
I've seen airport shuttle vans that make long runs and exceed 500,000 miles with nothing special added to the engine. Ordinary filters and oils. As said above, it is the usage more than the gizmos.

We just sold a service van that had 500k miles on it, ran perfectly and is still working in another state.

Never anything special, just on sale synth and a nice filter when the OLM said so. We ran bypass filters for almost a decade in our fleet with seemingly good results but dropped them when we changed to GM products on the advice of a G Team engineer that consults with our Factory Authorized Upfitter.

On a modern car (except in rare isolated cases) a bypass filter is unlikely to give any ROI...

Holy cow, you people are so misinformed about bypass filters... now more than ever they should be used, as the top quality synthetic oils have much more potential than how they are being used now. The oil can last between 3 to 10 times as long, depending on the engine; the engine experiences much less operational wear vs. non-bypass; you save money and just as important your time if changing the oil yourself; Used Oil Analysis need only be performed at 10k mile intervals initially and even longer when the oil analysis trend is known. You could even do away with UOA and go for simple 18 to 24 month oil change interval if engine is known to be in sound working order.

ROI... what a joke, of course it has excellent ROI. If looking at engine wear over the life of vehicle, it should maintain a much healthier condition right until the end.. is that not worth it at all for less than $300 investment?

Just my 2 cents.

I have a Puradyn bypass that I am just about ready to mount on my Buick with 192,000 on it. I will see if this can make the car last until my son is out of college. I do NOT understand at all why so many posters will spend 60-70K on a diesel pickup truck, then brag that they buy whatever oil is on sale at Wally world; and if you mention that a 3-400 dollar bypass filter can potentially double the useful life of their engine, all they heard was 300 dollar oil filter, and they think you're a lunatic.

I have already run bypass filtration for about 50,000 miles on my car and I'm now putting on a BETTER bypass filter. Oh, yeah, and I'm paying for UOA and partical counts. My oil currently has almost 20,000 miles on it and it is in 14/12/11 on ISO4406. It has far less contamination in it than new oil from the bottle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back