supertech st5 new box-new designe filter too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bought some supertech st5 for chevy trucks
got a mix of old and new style boxes.
new ones have a flat base vs a dished one on the older style.
lots of marketing technobabble on the box with an exploded view.

The only difference between the two construction wise is the flat base. This was done to "assist" quick lubes center the filter easier when they went to put the filter on.

DYI'ers typically take a bit more care..
wink.gif

The date code is on the dome end of the filter so you can figure out when the filter was built.

The packaging of the filter is something companies do to change up the look and make the product "seem" newer. Fram, Wix, Purolator, etc all do it...

Yes, packaging. I was working in kind of time warp brake shop in the early 90's. Not your high volume, low price place. They had a lot of NOS. I don't know how many generations of Wagner packaging they had on their shelves. I forget all the different corporate ownership Wagner went through. If you needed something old, odd ball, custom, etc. we were the place to come if you brought a barrel of money. I remember the one guy fixing up an old Studebaker truck. Yes, a Studebaker truck. The owner spent hours digging out the old stuff that would work.

If you wanted a part for a modern import, you might get a lecture and the owner's experience in the Pacific in W.W.II.

quote:

Originally posted by Filter guy:
This was done to "assist" quick lubes center the filter easier when they went to put the filter on. DYI'ers typically take a bit more care

Don't worry, Mel - the Gypie Lubes'll still figure out how to x-thread 'em.

I'll tell you that plate is not just for quick lubes. I had a heck of a time threading on an ST 8 on my daughter's Taurus. I had some older ecore ST8 filters and decided to use one for her winter fill. Real pain in the rooster.

the new boxes stand out in the sea of orange at walmart.
st limited to about 2 feet wide x 3 shelves high.everything else is orange.

In my WM the consolidated the MC and ST line. It's about the span of shelf space that you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back