Cleaning Gun Powder Deposits - What Works Well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I cleaned my .357 Ruger LCR tonight, and it had a fair amount of carbon like powder burned deposits at in the cylinder holes (shot mostly 38 Special ammo) and in the forcing cone at the entrance of the barrel.

I tried 3 different "powder cleaning solvents" with a brass brush and it was still a bear to get them cleaned off the metal.
mad.gif

Is there some super duper cleaner out there that will do a better/quicker job? All my stuff is pretty old, so maybe it's not as effective as it would be if new & fresh.

Brake cleaner comes straight to mind.
If you have time to let it soak, redline si1 or diesel would both soften the deposit enough for you to wipe it off

GM Top engine Cleaner [if you can still get it] works amazing at cleaning carbon fouled barrels. It's an old trick used by bench rest shooters. Slip 2000 works well too, but the TEC has been the best for me.

Marvel Mystery oil and Kroil oil were old ones my grandfather use to use. I get t he same powder burn marks on my M&P 340 357. I use break Free CLP and Wipe Out accelerator with Wipe Out liquid.

I would be really careful with brake cleaner on polymer and blackened finishes. So careful I wouldn't use it.
wink.gif

You can get M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner pretty easily and it works well.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Marvel Mystery oil and Kroil oil were old ones my grandfather use to use. I get t he same powder burn marks on my M&P 340 357. I use break Free CLP and Wipe Out accelerator with Wipe Out liquid.

I use MMO in my shotgun, and have been very pleased with the results.

Wipe Out with the accelerator works well too. When I use it I let it sit over night, and turn the gun from a trigger down to a trigger up position after a few hours of soaking.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
Hopped elite cleaner has worked good for me. Let it soak in.

+1. Hoppes is cheap and it works

Originally Posted By: 95busa
Razor blade. It flakes right off. Scotchbrite pad with Hoppes #9 if any is left.

I wouldn't be using this on anything other than stainless.

Hate those cylinder rings from .38. Ed's red works very well for me.

Another great product, albeit more expensive, is Mopar's Combustion chamber cleaner. Cuts right through carbon.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
Hopped elite cleaner has worked good for me. Let it soak in.

+1. Hoppes is cheap and it works

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
Hoppe's no. 9 gun solvent

#9 smells nice too.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: 95busa
Razor blade. It flakes right off. Scotchbrite pad with Hoppes #9 if any is left.

I wouldn't be using this on anything other than stainless.

Exactly. I should have specified.

Do what I do. Knock down most of the carbon with a good cleaner such as powder blast and a brass brush. Then a couple patches and call it good. Anything that is left over after that is only cosmetic in nature and wont affect functioning.

Hoppe's is cheap, works, and I like the smell of it. The secret is running a wet swab and letting it soak awhile.

Cleaned up after thousands of rounds of various gauges and calibers.

Another vote here for Hoppe's #9. Wet the powder fouling well with good ol' #9 & let it sit & soak for a while.

A shame they con't have an aftershave that smells like the old formula Hoppe's #9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back