whats more comfy on the hwy - Sportster or Triumph

Status
Not open for further replies.
for a 4-6 hour ride, what is more comfy on the highway? a 883 Sportster or a Triumph America? How is the vibration on the Sportster for that long? I presume that the Triumph has less vibration?

Assuming you mean a new (IE rubber mount) Sportster, the vibration isn't bad. I've not ridden the Triumph.

Which exact model 883 are you considering (Iron and Super low are the 2 current choices) and why is a 1200 out (slightly higher gearing).

For a 4-6 hour interstate ride I would definitely take the BigTwin over my Sportster.

Last edited:
I haven't ridden the Triumph. I wouldn't characterize the 883 as a cheesy rattle trap, but it wasn't anything special.
All I could think of was the Yamaha XS650 and kind of a wheezy one at that.

The real problem with that comparison is that the XS650 is a '70s Yamaha. Yamaha's intent was to build a better Triumph and to a certain extent, they did. But it is still a 40+ year old design. It should not be the first thing I think of when I ride a brand new bike.

The 883 was pretty unremarkable. Certainly not a great freeway cruiser. It's not a bad machine at all. It is a good lifestyle machine, great pallette for customization, and .....then like everyone else I know with an 883, it's not enough. It soon has to be a Softail or a Streetglide or a Street Bob...etc...

a 1200 is not out. I just have my eye on a couple of lightly used low mileage bikes. the triumph belongs to a friend. 95% of my riding is commuting. in fact I've never taken a ride more than a couple of hours - but I'd like to ride 300 miles a few times a year. I'm currently riding an Intruder and an older Radian. the Radian is fine for commuting, but I really like the Intruder style for anything longer.

Current sportsters are all pretty low and have shorter shocks. The older (I think 2010 was last year in US) 883R has standard (13" IIRC) rear shocks, and if I was going to pick an 883 sportster for a 4-6 hour interstate ride, that would be the one. I would definitely try to go with a fuel injected model.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
It is a good lifestyle machine

What is a lifestyle machine? The last Sportster i owned was a 1963 900 (883) but i rode a newer one and yes its just as poorly built as the original (well not quite, at least the got the brake on the right side on the newer one) and definitely a rattle trap.

Both blew out bulbs like crazy, the newer one even rattled its rear reflector loose, both were gutless noise makers.
No offense to the HD guys but this one is not a motorcycle its more of an illness.

The Harley is okay until you hit a bump or the rode takes a turn.

If you plan includes riding on roads with bumps and turns you'll like the Triumph.

I still have a 96 sportster and did own an 883. They both ride rough, but if your younger, 40 or less, probably wont bother you,unless you have back trouble. Love the Harley, Im 68 and still love to ride the 1200 sportster, but not long range. I ride and stop frequently, no 400 or 500 miles a day, that is not me. If I had to ride long distances and such, then get a Gold wing, you wont be a kid forever, your butt gets tired, your legs get tired and your back cant take it ,,,from experience here. Look around, older pop tarts on big cruisers, look around. But , I never get tired of twisting that grip and winding out the 1200. Love that sound.......I'm still a kid somedays at 68, its in the blood..............

Any bike can be modified to fit the rider for comfort... so do you want???
1) liquid cool or air cooled...
2) smooth 3 cylinders 120º crank or a 2 cylinder 45º crank shaker...
3) join the big Harley family and sport a tattoo or join a little Triumph family and sip tea...

Last edited:
Just get one of these and be universally derided by the tatoo Harley boys and you can insult the tea sipping Triumph boys by cranking up Quadrophenia on the MP3 player as you roll by...
crackmeup2.gif

Honda.jpg

I have taken three long rides on the HD and found that I arrived very comfortably each time. Mostly because at least half the trip was made after loading the HD into the bed of a F-150 chase and rescue vehicle!! Bring your wrenches.

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
Any bike can be modified to fit the rider for comfort... so do you want???
1) liquid cool or air cooled...
2) smooth 3 cylinders 120º crank or a 2 cylinder 45º crank shaker...
3) join the big Harley family and sport a tattoo or join a little Triumph family and sip tea...

The Triumph he is looking at is a 2 cylinder, air cooled, 270 degree parallel twin.

I have the Speedmaster which is the America's stripped down brother. I was looking at that or a new Sporty myself back in 2011 and went with the Triumph. Much smoother engine, more roomy ergonomics, better suspension, and a better value IMHO.

Triumph. I owned a T100 several years ago. One of the best bikes I've ever owned. Great balance...simple....fun.
Can't say I've ridden the model you mention....but most folks that have owned recent Triumphs seem to have no regrets.

I doubt many of the posters have ridden a new Sportster. I have a 2014 Superlow that I would ride anywhere. Not a problem so far.

I changed the rear shocks to Progressive 412s and the front springs to Progressive standard front springs. It made all the difference in the world to the ride.

The motor is rubber mounted and has little vibration. It is dead smooth up to 50 and then gets a very small amount of vibration between 50 and 60 mph, then smooths out and is dead smooth from 70 on up. Mirrors are clear.

The bike gets 52 mile per gallon and needs very little maint. There are no valve adjustments as it has hydrulic valves. Unlike Triumph which needs the cam shaft removed to adjust the valves.

I looked at both bikes before buying. I like the Triumph but the Sportster has been the most fun bike to ride I have had in a long time and I have been riding 56 years.

I don't under all the hate on this forum when it comes to Harleys. I don't like crotch rockets but I don't go on forums to run them down either. I ride what I like and let others ride what they like but I grew up long ago.

004_zpsbcb56974.jpg

Originally Posted By: endeavor to persevere
I doubt many of the posters have ridden a new Sportster. I have a 2014 Superlow that I would ride anywhere. Not a problem so far.

I changed the rear shocks to Progressive 412s and the front springs to Progressive standard front springs. It made all the difference in the world to the ride.

The motor is rubber mounted and has little vibration. It is dead smooth up to 50 and then gets a very small amount of vibration between 50 and 60 mph, then smooths out and is dead smooth from 70 on up. Mirrors are clear.

The bike gets 52 mile per gallon and needs very little maint. There are no valve adjustments as it has hydrulic valves. Unlike Triumph which needs the cam shaft removed to adjust the valves.

I looked at both bikes before buying. I like the Triumph but the Sportster has been the most fun bike to ride I have had in a long time and I have been riding 56 years.

I don't under all the hate on this forum when it comes to Harleys. I don't like crotch rockets but I don't go on forums to run them down either. I ride what I like and let others ride what they like but I grew up long ago.

004_zpsbcb56974.jpg

Looks like my old v-star as far as design and seating position.

My 106 gets 50mpg too on the highway,with 107hp/115tq,so though I do like Harley's,mine especially I'm not really impressed.
Looks good though. I'm glad harley is building bikes for people that are decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back