Turbo/DI Pentastar engine for 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this subject pops up on here from time to time, I thought it would be of interest:

Pentastar turbo/DI debut late 2015

As some have speculated, Chrysler is starting to move to DI. Not wholesale yet- only the new turbocharged versions at first, and that will start in the Grand Cherokee and then spread to other models as the technology matures.

DI aside, I wonder where the power output will wind up? The normally-aspirated and multiport-injected 3.6 Pentastar already hits 305HP in the Challenger (290 and 300 in other applications). I could easily see a turbo version sneaking up into current 5.7 Hemi territory close to 400 HP.

And if they put the 3.2 (or better yet, 3.6!) turbo/DI version in an AWD Dart/200 platform... wowee! All the people that call the Challenger a "fat pig" might be pleased to see that. Mustang drivers probably won't, though. It could actually become the true competitor in the Mustang/Camaro fight, especially once the Camaro moves to its new, smaller/lighter platform shared with the ATS.

They waited long enough, hopefully they'll nail it. Personally I'd give the new platform a good two years before diving in head first. I'll read about the pros and cons from all the early buyers of it.
27.gif
Or I'll pay the extra $cash$ and go diesel, DI works great in a diesel. I'm like a few guys here and never buy the first year of anything new to a car maker. DI's not new to gassers anymore but it would be new to the 3.6l P-star.-RD

D.I. and D.I. Turbo applications get a lot of flack here on BITOG yet more and more mfr keep moving in that direction. This wouldnt be the case if the technology weren't much better than the early 2000's when the valve deposits, LSPI and timing chain(more current) issues afflicted respective oem. We over think, over analyze everything. Will there be isolated cases in the future where these issues surface? Of coarse. But there will always be one-offs. Even in PFI designs. I know I know.... next we'll hear Chrysler only did it to satisfy CAFE.
mad.gif

SteveSRT8 couldn't be more right. This is a great time for performance vehicles.

Last edited:
Indeed. Performance cars are more powerful than ever, my ten year old Chrysler is more powerful and much stronger running than my 1970 Chevelle LS6 ever was, even with mods!

It should be obvious that some have the DI issue under control and others are still working on it. Chrysler already puts that Pstar in almost everything they make, it's a wonderful little guy already.

Two hair dryers and DI sounds like 450 hp to me...

It seems like the turbo di engines are better off in most cases than the na di engines. The turbo ecotech in my dad's 2010 Cobalt was an awesome engine. No valve problems at all. I'm guessing they would change the displacement on the pentastar to a smaller engine then turbo it to make up for the power loss. In turn getting better fuel mileage. Just my guess. The question of the day is how many turbos will be on it?

I'm with Rocky-dee on giving it a year or two, let the early adapters sort it out. Like he said maybe Chrysler nailed it by waiting and learned from the others, time will tell. It came as no surprise to me because when Chrysler designed the Pentastar engine they had DI in mind from day one. It should make some nice power.

For me my next new ride will probably be a diesel.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Ooh no here come the shearing oil and stretch timing chains and gunked up fuel system

And those astute comments are based on what exactly?

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: Ram01
Ooh no here come the shearing oil and stretch timing chains and gunked up fuel system

And those astute comments are based on what exactly?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. The comments were probably based on the bad rap DI earned early on, and to tell you the truth the problems might still exist for some car corps.

I like to take a wait and see approach, it worked real good for me in the past. When I was younger I liked to dive right in, as I got older I learned the virtues of waiting. I like Chrysler and really enjoy my Rubi, I'll be reading up on this redesign of the P-Star. I'll be waiting for reports on it on Bitog and other sites I frequent once members start buying them.-RD

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Wonder how long before the Wrangler gets DI?

Probably a model year after the GC. I would think the end game is DI in all their engines, until something new comes out.

Originally Posted By: rockydee

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. The comments were probably based on the bad rap DI earned early on, and to tell you the truth the problems might still exist for some car corps.

I like to take a wait and see approach, it worked real good for me in the past. When I was younger I liked to dive right in, as I got older I learned the virtues of waiting. I like Chrysler and really enjoy my Rubi, I'll be reading up on this redesign of the P-Star. I'll be waiting for reports on it on Bitog and other sites I frequent once members start buying them.-RD

Well, the main issue with DI(as reported by BITOG members(many of whom who don't actually own a car with that technology) has been intake valve deposits- due to the fact that the fuel and its detergent additives never reach the back of the valves.

No reports of "shearing[sic] oil", "stretch[sic] timing chains" or "gunked up fuel system[sic}."

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Probably a model year after the GC. I would think the end game is DI in all their engines, until something new comes out.

I'll put my money on TWO model years after the introduction before you see it in the Wrangler. Its notoriously the last vehicle to get the new stuff- and for good reason. Wrangler buyers are a conservative lot when it comes to changing. A lot of them would still prefer the 4.0 straight six. :)

My guess will be they roll it out in the Grand Cherokee (big version) and minivan (smaller 3.2 version) and then spread it to the Dart, then Charger/Challenger/300, and then Wrangler and Ram last of all. And the Ram is only a "maybe," but turbo half-tons seem to be working for Ford.

Originally Posted By: abycat
It seems I'm guessing they would change the displacement on the pentastar to a smaller engine then turbo it to make up for the power loss.

From the earliest stages, the Pentastar was meant to be available in multiple sizes. So far we only have the 3.6 and 3.2, but there was a plan for a 2.xx class also.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I'll put my money on TWO model years after the introduction before you see it in the Wrangler. Its notoriously the last vehicle to get the new stuff- and for good reason. Wrangler buyers are a conservative lot when it comes to changing. A lot of them would still prefer the 4.0 straight six. :)

My guess will be they roll it out in the Grand Cherokee (big version) and minivan (smaller 3.2 version) and then spread it to the Dart, then Charger/Challenger/300, and then Wrangler and Ram last of all. And the Ram is only a "maybe," but turbo half-tons seem to be working for Ford.

That makes sense, but as you know its anyone's guess at this point. Do you think the Wrangler will see a DI Pentastar or a diesel engine first?

Mmmm, turbo.....

If they get the design right, the turbo can blow off the intake valves before the deposits have a chance to form!

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

That makes sense, but as you know its anyone's guess at this point. Do you think the Wrangler will see a DI Pentastar or a diesel engine first?

The diesel is already rolling down the line, the DI Pentastar is still just paper. I'd bet on the diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back