Analysis useful in this instance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my pathfinder I follow the regular 7500 oci. I do some short trips with the vehicle of 7 miles or so but the engine does get to temp. Severe service is 3750 which I don't think I qualify for. Would I be pretty much wasting my money by getting an analysis done? I use m1 or pp with an own filter.

Originally Posted By: stygz
Would I be pretty much wasting my money by getting an analysis done?

Well, it depends on what you're trying to get out of it. If you're just wondering if the oil is up to the task to run this long, then yeah, you're probably wasting money on the analysis.

If, on the other hand, you're trying to detect some early warning signs of coolant leaks, air leaks, or fuel dilution, then that's another story.

Not looking for any suspected problems. Suv has about 20k miles. Never had a vehicle run so long on an oil change

Well, you can certainly do a UOA if that would help put your mind at ease and allow you to sleep better at night. That in itself has value.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: stygz
Not looking for any suspected problems. Suv has about 20k miles. Never had a vehicle run so long on an oil change

A 7,500 mile OCI is no big deal for a modern engine. I wouldn't bother with a lab analysis unless you're trying to go long intervals (>12k miles) or you're just really curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back