Aeroshell W65 discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shell has quietly discontinued Aeroshell W65 oil. This has been my oil of choice for nearly 15 years. I'm having a difficult time locating more to build up a little stash. It's appearing that buying a 55 gallon drum may be the best alternative. Purchasing a 55 gallon drum saves about $2.00 per quart. I'm concerned about maintaining cleanliness of the oil and preventing contaminants like dust and moisture from entering the barrel. The 55 gallon drum will likely be sitting in the hanger for a number of years before I use it all up.

All thoughts are welcome.

Dave

How much do you use @ a time? A bulky and slightly ridiculous looking solution would be to "can" the oil in quart mason jars. They make very Handy one quart air tight containers. And you'd only need 220 of them for the whole barrel.
220 jars, @ ~$10/dozen, $183.33 + tax for the jars& lids...

Of course you then have 220 glass jars full of motor oil to store/not drop... But, hilarity could ensue if some were dropped...

Last edited:
What about:
AeroShell 15w50 Multigrade Oil (Case of 12 Quarts) Our Price: $71.22 ?

About $0.66 more a Qt. by the case. This is what we used in the winter, used W100 in the summer.

Aeroshell jobber

The 55gal. price is attractive if you can use it up over time. Mount it horizontally in a barrel stand with a lockable barrel faucet.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
What about:
AeroShell 15w50 Multigrade Oil (Case of 12 Quarts) Our Price: $71.22 ?

About $0.66 more a Qt. by the case. This is what we used in the winter, used W100 in the summer.

Aeroshell jobber

The 55gal. price is attractive if you can use it up over time. Mount it horizontally in a barrel stand with a lockable barrel faucet.

Wayne

Hi Wayne. Thank you for the input. I'm not compliant with using a 50wt. oil in my aircraft engines as so many people do. My UOA numbers are excellent with 30wt. In fairness though I don't have side by side comparisons with W100. There's nothing in the design of the motor that clearly dictates a 40 or 50wt oil. I've been using W65 for about 15 years now. I've never even seen 212 degrees, where it is rated as a 30wt oil. My oil temps run around 180 degrees in the summer months.

The lockable barrel faucet is an excellent idea. I also plan on a vent filter so I don't draw dusty air into the barrel as oil is drained out.

Thanks.

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre
How much do you use @ a time? A bulky and slightly ridiculous looking solution would be to "can" the oil in quart mason jars. They make very Handy one quart air tight containers. And you'd only need 220 of them for the whole barrel.
220 jars, @ ~$10/dozen, $183.33 + tax for the jars& lids...

Of course you then have 220 glass jars full of motor oil to store/not drop... But, hilarity could ensue if some were dropped...

Wouldn't it be easier to purge the air out of the barrel with argon gas, and reseal?

I think that's an excellent point. I have a nitrogen bottle handy as I use nitrogen for the tires and the nose strut. Moot point now since I just bought 15 cases of quart bottles.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back