Perfect story for BITOG types

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems the small business owner tried pretty hard to make it right.

I also suspect that at the end of the phone order, the jerk professor was probably given a verbal total, which he approved. That would have been his opportunity to refuse.

That is exactly what is to be expected in Boston.
Two years ago Vancouver Canucks' fans and families
were refused service in restaurants.
Whatever.

I really do hate when prices in a store or website are not what ring up at the cash register and I as a consumer do not calculate my total each and every time, in good faith I trust that the restaurant/retail establishment has the correct pricing. Stores like Walmart even have policies around giving refunds or discounts for items that ring up incorrectly at the register. Usually if I notice a discrepancy or am genuinely unhappy shopping at a store/restaurant I will not return, I vote with my $$.
All of that said, this professor is a grade A moron. He can take all of those fancy degrees and shove them sideways where the sun don't shine. In the past I owned my own business for 7 years and 99.875% of my customers were great. I ended up not being paid by 1 person out of tens of thousands of services provided. I lost 1 customer during that time, guess what? He was a lawyer. IMHO, many lawyers like to control everything and when they cannot they resort to acting like big shots. My customer was mad because he requested that his lawn be sprayed for weeds while I was mowing his lawn on a Friday afternoon. I explained that since I had just mowed that the surface area of the weeds would not be sufficient to provide adequate results and thus a waste of time and money. I told him I would return the next Wed to spray, he was fine with that. Monday, Tuesday, and Wed it rained buckets and my schedule was all messed up. I returned the next Friday to mow and was approached by the same lawyer, keep in mind that I almost never dealt with him. I always dealt with his incredibly nice wife who loved me and knew my kids names and birthdays. He asked why I didn't spray the weeds on Wed like we discussed. I asked him if he remembered all of the rain earlier in the week. Him - I don't care, I want the weeds gone. Me, Yes Sir, I do too and I will get them next week. Him- not acceptable Me- it is against the law to spray herbicides in the state of VA while it is raining due to runoff possibility. Him, don't care I want the weeds gone. Me-so you want me to knowingly break the law? His wife was standing about 20 feet away. Neither of us raised our voices, but she was crying and I knew why. Because she had seen it before, her husband being a jackwagon. I picked up my stuff and left his property at this point and never returned, he paid the final invoice.

Where the arrogant prof really goes off the rails here is when he 'lectures' Duan that he's getting off lightly because he overcharged all the customers that ordered take out.

But Duan turned the tables after the prof says he referred the matter to the applicable authorities by saying he would now wait for the authorities to tell him what to do. So now he's pounding sand for his $4.

In the end, Edelman comes off as nothing more than a bully and a giant bag o' douche. And if the comments that followed are any indication, he may now need to hire a PR firm. Some great comments.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Edelman is a tool. The end.

That's a very nice way of putting it. Amazing that Duan put up with that. After an apology and a $4 refund I would have told Edelman where to go and what to do when he got there. That type of personality sickens me, and I don't have much patience for it.

What a horses posterior.

The really scary part is that he's likely teaching this exemplary behavior to others at his high priced "school".

Originally Posted By: mulehead
Call in the govenment goon squad . We should name a tool after the professor

Screw driver?

Anyone know a enough legal jumble to know if Ben is just blowing smoke or is he correct?

Just curious, this is like that picture of the spider email with 6 legs. Amusing at first then it just gets annoying.

Just look at the two photographs at the top of the article? Which one, not even having read the article, would you guess to be a self-important pr**k?

Most people let stuff go and the practice of something continues. One squeaky wheel and it eventually gets taken care of.

I personally would not waste my time on such a thing but glad someone else is out there who does.

The back story to this is the Garden is a sponser of a radio talk show run by a Boston Herald reporter --- Howie Carr, who bashes the elite Cambridge snobs left right and sideways. This whole dog and pony show is a backdoor (they're good at that) attempt to "get" someone associated with the show. In Massachusetts, politics is a blood sport and even an opponent's kids are fair game.

I think I might have offered a Free take out meal as compensation at the end of that series of threats.

And tell the Proff "it's Special for you"

Let him spend $$ getting it analyzed.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
But Duan turned the tables after the prof says he referred the matter to the applicable authorities by saying he would now wait for the authorities to tell him what to do. So now he's pounding sand for his $4

Right, Duan was enjoying that and it infuriated Edelman even more.

Seeing that Edelman teaches negotiation, I give him an F for mentioning / contacting the authorities. It compromised his ability to get his $12. He should have known that.

In fact, I give him an F overall. He could have gotten $12 off his bill through his credit card company, told the authorities and then told Dan what he had done and why.

Though the professor acts a little pompous and florid, I think he's another example of a man standing up to little nickel and dime tricks that some unscrupulous businesses do to screw customers out of extra money, hoping they wouldn't notice. And the restaurant, by not immediately offering satisfaction, is clearly in the wrong.

To me the prof is one who stands up for 100.

And to me the proprietor, Ray Duan, who invokes his immigrant sob story and even his parents, is a conniving Easterner who thinks that he can hoodwink us stupid fat lazy Americans out of money. He knew for a long time that his website's prices were outdated but he made no corrective action until Edelman put his feet to the fire. Lord only knows how many people were overcharged by this creature.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Though the professor acts a little pompous and florid, I think he's another example of a man standing up to little nickel and dime tricks that some unscrupulous businesses do to screw customers out of extra money, hoping they wouldn't notice. And the restaurant, by not immediately offering satisfaction, is clearly in the wrong.

To me the prof is one who stands up for 100.

And to me the proprietor, Ray Duan, who invokes his immigrant sob story and even his parents, is a conniving Easterner who thinks that he can hoodwink us stupid fat lazy Americans out of money. He knew for a long time that his website's prices were outdated but he made no corrective action until Edelman put his feet to the fire. Lord only knows how many people were overcharged by this creature.
Duan ISN't an American?
He may not be an effete Cambridge snob like Forrest Gruber, Phd, but he IS an American. The "peresser" wants HIS 12 bucks but looks the other way when his state government spends a BILLION on a healthcare website. Why, because effete Cambridge snobs got a piece of the action.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back