2003 Jetta TDI manual transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you say "noticeably smoking" is this at idle or driving down the road? What is the worst that can happen if nozzles are not replaced? I drive 160 miles daily and just want the car to get me there and back. I'm sure the extra power is fun, but I don't want to do any work on the car I don't have to until things start to warm up in the spring.

If they get too old they can take out a piston. But it would have been running real poor before then. If it is running fine now, the nozzles can wait.

If you want to wait until spring BUT want to drive until then... I smell a recipe for failure. You might be real lucky and nothing breaks. I suspect the odds are good. But you'll hate it if something breaks.

I'm in the same boat. But if my Jetta breaks I'll drive something else until spring.

I'm in the "Do it" camp. neat car. reasonably low entrance fee. purchase + new Tb and water pump. Then keep another 2k stashed for the emergencies, and be prepared to also spend on wear items that may be lurking.

If you save $300 for 7 months, the same as a payment, there's your 2k. then keep setting aside that money as you go along so you can be prepared to catch the maintenance items that start becoming apparent.

Stickshift Diesel that handles well? very cool car.

"Noticeably smoking" doesn't mean it's puking out black smoke driving down the road. It's a diesel. When you stomp on it while driving down the road you'll get a belch of black smoke, it's normal unless it looks like a freight train. I actually like it lol, I punch it and make it smoke on tailgaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back