Stuck crank pulley bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have an H22A from a 93 prelude that needs some tlc. Timing belt is about to snap and I need a good idea of how to break the crank pulley bolt loose. Already have the pulley tool but it's TIGHT. Too tight. Broken 5 impact sockets on it trying to get it off. Any ideas?

Place a breaker bar against the frame or lower control arm with a socket on the bar with no extension and blip the engine with the starter.
Don't let anyone try and hold this arrangement when you do it and make sure everyone is clear. It will just come loose. It is not a left handed thread, it regular right handed but they are tighter than a well diggers arse in North Dakota.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Place a breaker bar against the frame or lower control arm with a socket on the bar with no extension and blip the engine with the starter.

If this Honda engine has the timing belt on the LEFT (American driver's side), then DO NOT DO THIS! This method will TIGHTEN the bolt and will SNAP it!

I recommend renting a good electric impact wrench such as this one. No compressor needed, and takes pretty much anything off.
7_dewalt_dw293_impact_wrench.jpg

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought it was on the passengers side like the others with the distributer on the drivers side.
Sorry OP my bad if thats not the case.

Long breaker bar. My 2 air guns would not get a Honda bolt off so had to get the special tool to hold the crank and then a breaker bar with extension pipe to get it broke free.

You die hard DIY guys will not like this, but I used to just pay a local shop $5 - directly to one of the grease monkeys - to break it loose using their impact gun and then hand tighten it for my drive home. I did this three times for the TB on my 89 Accord.

Kobalt and Porto sockets on both breaker bar and IR impact. Have pb blaster soaking on it every few hours. Got an acetylene torch ready for Heat again. After I broke my craftsman socket I went to the better ones. Have a 5 foot steel pipe as extension on breaker bar but still no cigar. Will try again after work. Not a very fun job. But it's gotta be done.

Now, see, all of these suggestions involve a lot more time and trouble than my practice, but hey, if it's that important to say you did it all yourself...

I do like the idea of bringing it to a local shop and paying $5.

I have some 3/4 breakers bars and sockets and have placed the breaker bar handle under a jack and jacked the handle up. Works every time (if the impact isn't working)

I don't know if the belt will last. It is very close to snapping. I can probably pull it and snap it. If I knew it would make it, I'd have someone else break it loose.

i suggest getting yourself a very strong big friend to stand on the breaker bar with all the extensions coming out of the wheel well. during this time mount your weight with the pulley tool and a breaker bar and put your weight down on it. dont wanna risk rounding your crank nut.

They are tuff to get loose. After doing all you did, I took it to a local big rig/18 wheeler shop and the guy took a 1" impact to it and it came loose. If you must use heat you'll most likely have to change the crank seal.
Good luck

I'm really not concerned about the crank seal at this point lol. I just really need the bolt off. If I can't get it tonight then I will see if I can get someone with a big bad impact to come get it off. Just don't want a rounded if or snapped head either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back