New 2014 Kia Forte - Oil @ filter recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the wife got a new leased 2014 Kia Forte KOUP. 2.0L GDI engine, 6 speed auto. Clearly we wont be modding the car (lease), but I will be doing maintenance. Recommended grade is 5w-20. Anyone ever service one of these cars? Any issues? With the GDI and possible crankcase vapors carboning the valves, is there a 5w020 or 0w20 (non-exotic, gotta get it at Wally) less prone to being sucked up in the PCV? Dont know what the terminology would be for oil with those properties. Anyone have a filter preference?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hyundai/Kia OEM oil filter is excellent and reasonably priced (especially on E-Bay). If you want a Wallyworld filter the Fram Ultra is hard to beat and probably good for 2 OCI's of 7500 each.

My new Focus also specs 5w20 and has DI.

I think the 5w20s have better NOACK numbers than the 0w20s and I'll probably stick with one. PP, QSUD, M1 etc...should be fine @ a 7500 mile OCI.

Since you will be doing the oil & filter changes and because this is a lease, I would use the least expensive oil/filter combo available for your vehicle in 5w20.

Either buy the oil/filter package at one of the local autoparts store sales OR as you mentioned, at Walmart*

*SuperTech oil in 5w20 and a Purolator Classic filter at ~ $17 out the door! I believe(in my area) the ST oil is $12.47/5 qt jug and Puro Classic(white)filter is $3.27/ea. all plus tax.

Unless the Owners Manual requires a synthetic oil, I'd just stay with the SuperTech oil/Puro Classic filter or anything else that you find at better prices. Both are fine for your car even if you owned it!

Lots of folks/members using ST oil/PuroClass filters with good success including me! Have been for years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Since you will be doing the oil & filter changes and because this is a lease, I would use the least expensive oil/filter combo available for your vehicle in 5w20.

Either buy the oil/filter package at one of the local autoparts store sales OR as you mentioned, at Walmart*

*SuperTech oil in 5w20 and a Purolator Classic filter at ~ $17 out the door! I believe(in my area) the ST oil is $12.47/5 qt jug and Puro Classic(white)filter is $3.27/ea. all plus tax.

Unless the Owners Manual requires a synthetic oil, I'd just stay with the SuperTech oil/Puro Classic filter or anything else that you find at better prices. Both are fine for your car even if you owned it!

Lots of folks/members using ST oil/PuroClass filters with good success including me! Have been for years.

Yeah, it is a lease, but we will take care of it well just in case we end up buying it! No issues running ST (I am not an oil snob), I run motorcraft 5w-20 in my 250 and Pennzoil HM in my van. Do you think the ST will hold up to direct injection? Any problems with volatility given no gas washes the intake valves?

Originally Posted By: pbm
The Hyundai/Kia OEM oil filter is excellent and reasonably priced (especially on E-Bay). If you want a Wallyworld filter the Fram Ultra is hard to beat and probably good for 2 OCI's of 7500 each.

I think the 5w20s have better NOACK numbers than the 0w20s and I'll probably stick with one. PP, QSUD, M1 etc...should be fine @ a 7500 mile OCI.

That new Quaker State blend 0W-20 has a NOACK under 10. I haven't seen it for sale yet, but it looks good. As Char Baby said above - SuperTech & Puro filter is all you need to get you through the lease. If you're considering a purchase after the lease, then you can go to more expensive and supposedly better products.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Originally Posted By: pbm

That new Quaker State blend 0W-20 has a NOACK under 10. I haven't seen it for sale yet, but it looks good. As Char Baby said above - SuperTech & Puro filter is all you need to get you through the lease. If you're considering a purchase after the lease, then you can go to more expensive and supposedly better products.
0w-20 syn blend? Thats a new one! I am a fan of 0w-20, especially for this car. Her commute is only like 10 miles.

"That new Quaker State blend 0W-20 has a NOACK under 10. I haven't seen it for sale yet, but it looks good. As Char Baby said above - SuperTech & Puro filter is all you need to get you through the lease. If you're considering a purchase after the lease, then you can go to more expensive and supposedly better products."

The QSSB 5w30 is $17 for 5 the qt. jug at WM.
If they start carrying the 0w20 for that price it would be hard to beat.

I haven't seen the 0w20 QS syn blend at any of the WM around hear yet, but I would feel comfortable using any top brand conventional, blend or syn 5w20. The MAG1 in my Sonata is a synthetic on clearance at PepBoys for $1.80/qt. Just in case you have one near you. Noack is 10.5.

Last edited:
On a leased Kia, the OCI question is if 10 miles on a one way commute is deemed severe or regular use under its warranty. You'll have to decide what you're comfortable with. Hyundai/Kia allegedly can use the car's trip computer to determine your average MPG and then determine what usage category it falls in. For me in that situation, I'd do 3.8 to 4K OCI's with PYB or QSGB and a filter from Hyundai/Kia, Wix, Baldwin, Hastings, NAPA, etc.

DexosI 5w20 or PP/PU GTL should have lowest NOACK without me looking it up. A 0w20 may be higher as they a mainly group III blends. Also Edge with Ti but that's a PRICEY PRICEY to the max proposition at regular pricing!
I don't think you can mitigate crankcase oil fogging as the crank rod bigs is throwing off oil like a madman in there! Maybe a catch can setup if the PCV is not properly baffled -

IF it were my vehicle, I'd do two shorter OCI's on the engine and also service the transmission to get all the leftover break-in particles out. Don't forget about the engine / cabin air filters and flush the coolant around 50K - 60K. Watch out for fuel dilution with the GDI engine, which can benefit from more frequent LOF changes due to thinning of the oil from the direct injection system.

If I recall correctly, Kia requires replacing the engine oil and filter every 6 months or 7,500 miles (whichever comes sooner).

Consumers have reported good feedback from using a quality synthetic oil from Mobil or Pennzoil and better start-up results with the OEM oil filter.

I own the same vehicle, and two of my buddies have bought them also. Two of us have the 2013 and one has the 2014. They all have the same drive train. Here is what i know i have found based on our three cars.

For the first 10 -15 K miles, Oil will smell like fuel and I would recommend 5w20 at 5K changes. With the first one around 2500 miles.
After this the fuel smell has gone away for all of us. I had a UOA done on mine at 5K miles with everything in good shape. I have looked at many UOA's for these cars and i see no data to show that anything from xw20 to xw30 is any different in wear rates. I personally think the engine sounds better with the 10w30 in it but its just my opinion. I have been running PP in mine basically since new in 5w20 or 10w30 with OEM filters. My UOA can be found in the UOA fourm and there are a few more as well. The only thing i have seen that is a cause for concern in these engines is early on fuel dilution. Most people agree that the OEM filters are good quality and can be bought on ebay for about 5 dollars each. Kia/Hyundai are fussy about filters and no reason to give them a reason to fuss.

Alot of people fuss about these engines clacking a lot at idle and usually it is the injectors not the engine.

My buddy will be getting a UOA of his car, after 8K on QS Ultimate durability 5w20, in six weeks which i will share here as well.

I have been trying to run nothing but Tier one gasoline, mostly Shell and running the Chevron with Techron every 5K miles

I have not seen any related issues pop up on the forum with our cars. I have not seen a lot of long term reliability on them either because the design is still fairly new. I have read a few transmission failures and one engine problem so they seem pretty solid so far.

Last edited:
Kia/Hyundai has had issues with certain aftermarket oil filters. You can buy the OEM filters at a fair price; they're even less to buy several at a time on fleaBay. Stick with OEM and eliminate any chance of a warranty claim headache in case of an engine mechanical problem.

Look in your owner's manual. I know that my 2.4 engine is quieter with 5W-30, and that's what I use in the summer. I use 5W-20 in the winter. Any good brand of oil should work equally well; no brand has a big advantage.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

This made me shiver. I can't imagine using Walmart brand oil in any vehicle especially a brand new one!

Originally Posted By: 95busa
Yeah, it is a lease, but we will take care of it well just in case we end up buying it! No issues running ST (I am not an oil snob), I run motorcraft 5w-20 in my 250 and Pennzoil HM in my van. Do you think the ST will hold up to direct injection? Any problems with volatility given no gas washes the intake valves?

Well, I guess I'm an oil snob.

Quote:

This made me shiver. I can't imagine using Walmart brand oil in any vehicle especially a brand new one!

Nothing wrong with supertech oil; it is SN rated just like many other OTC oils.

BITOG is good @ dispelling myths like the one you have bought into.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Nothing wrong with supertech oil; it is SN rated just like many other OTC oils.

BITOG is good @ dispelling myths like the one you have bought into.

I don't feel I've bought into any myths. I find it hard to believe that anyone could argue that an oil such as PYB or PP or M1 or Valvoline aren't better than ST. Especially if the ST is a dino oil. Personally, I couldn't sleep at night knowing ST was in my crankcase. Then again, I am a medicated OCD patient.
smile.gif

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10w30 with OEM oil filter.
Why would you use anything else?

Last edited:
ST is a fine oil. All you need to know is that it meets and exceeds what the Hyundai/KIA requires.

Hyundai/KIA Require: API SM / ILSAC GF-4

ST is a certified: API SN / ILSAC GF-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back