A 9 mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently put a pistol on layaway. Maybe little late but I want your opinions, experiences if you had it.
It is Tisas' Zigana M16 two-tone. Full payment is $340 with no shipping.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_1225/products_id/411553426/TISAS+ZIGANA+M16+9MM+5%22+15%2B1+Two+Tone

I guess you could return it if you don't like it. I don't know anything about guns. I am interested and I am thinking of getting my first handgun. I was told that good guns start at around $650 to $1000 for a home security handgun. But what do I know?

Originally Posted By: GhostFlame
I guess you could return it if you don't like it. I don't know anything about guns. I am interested and I am thinking of getting my first handgun. I was told that good guns start at around $650 to $1000 for a home security handgun. But what do I know?

Wrong...on price. For home use, for those that know little, get a revolver.
They'll shoot every time you pull the trigger. S&W model 10's are the old
standby. A zillion of them out there used. Should be able to get one under
$200. Otherwise, get a pump shotgun. ABout same price.

Tisas 1911 has been very popular recently for its price to performance radio with good fit and reliability. I am guessing their other stuff must be decent.

I know very little about hand guns but I used full automatic ak47s and G3s. None of them used 9mm. And reportedly pistols come in semi auto variety by law.
Did not see any Tisas at the range.
Will get concealed carry license before taking delivery of the machine.

I would take lessons. If you know little about firearms, admitting that is good. Let someone teach you safety. It only takes one small mistake to hurt you or someone near you. See if a range near you offers shooting lessons before you buy and handle loaded firearms.

A safety course and license to carry a handgun a step in the right direction. Start buying ammo too. How hard is it to find 9mm up in Milwaukee?

Id say a quality semi auto handgun can be purchased for as low as $400 if you look in the right places. I saw a new Ruger SR40c at a gun show for $350. Came with the case, the concealed stubby magazine and the high capacity magazine too. Rare occurrence I'm sure, but the deals are out there.

the video on the zigana seems to say it's a good gun especially for the price. one thing i'd be worried about in the long run is parts availability being it's a off name gun, unlike smith&wesson, springfield, beretta and so on.
with any gun you want to shoot it a lot and get it know it before you rely on it. i know of a s&w 38 revolver about as common as they come and it often fails to cycle the cylinder for the next shot, so to say a revolver always fires the next shot is not "always" true. granted automatics may be more complex but that's not to say they aren't reliable.
by far the most common problem is failure to feed ammo of certain types especially various makes of hollow points which you would use as self defense ammo. so you would want to make sure at the range the gun will shoot whatever ammo you're going to keep in the gun reliably which of course can get expensive.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
A safety course and license to carry a handgun a step in the right direction. Start buying ammo too. How hard is it to find 9mm up in Milwaukee?

Id say a quality semi auto handgun can be purchased for as low as $400 if you look in the right places. I saw a new Ruger SR40c at a gun show for $350. Came with the case, the concealed stubby magazine and the high capacity magazine too. Rare occurrence I'm sure, but the deals are out there.

It is easy to get 9mm ammo here in Milwaukee, as in many cities I think. I already got 6 boxes of 50ct ammo. 3 Italian made 115 grain Perfecta and 3 Turkish made 123 grain ZQ1/MKE. Each box for approximately $14 at WM. 22LR ammo is difficult to get.

Originally Posted By: 1 FMF
the video on the zigana seems to say it's a good gun especially for the price. one thing i'd be worried about in the long run is parts availability being it's a off name gun, unlike smith&wesson, springfield, beretta and so on.
with any gun you want to shoot it a lot and get it know it before you rely on it. i know of a s&w 38 revolver about as common as they come and it often fails to cycle the cylinder for the next shot, so to say a revolver always fires the next shot is not "always" true. granted automatics may be more complex but that's not to say they aren't reliable.
by far the most common problem is failure to feed ammo of certain types especially various makes of hollow points which you would use as self defense ammo. so you would want to make sure at the range the gun will shoot whatever ammo you're going to keep in the gun reliably which of course can get expensive.

I will shoot with different manufacturers' ammo to find the best match. But I will not waste money on Tulammo aluminum rounds. It was claimed on a youtube video that this particular pistol is very similar, almost a clone of, to Walther PP88C. If it is really the case maybe parts are interchangeable?

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
I know very little about hand guns but I used full automatic ak47s and G3s.
Turkish army?

It is, almost 10 years ago. The G3 was Turkish iteration of H&K's G3. Rough. AK47 is not an official weapon of Turkish military, some being used after repossession. I hear G3s are becoming a thing of the past finally even in Turkey.

Not the exact same G3 by H&K but made under license:

2YpPiplz.jpg

I agree with others who have recommended good a safety course as a first priority.
Regarding the gun to purchase, go to a range and try some out first. Find out what you are most comfortable with.
Personally I bought a Walther PPQ M1 9mm and I'm very happy with it both to use and carry. I think it was just over $600.

I was told that good guns start at around $650 to $1000 for a home security handgun.

I disagree with whomever told you that. There are a number of great options for home security pistols for well under the $650-1000 range. One of the best may be Smith & Wesson's SD9VE or SD40VE. The "SD" stands for "self defense"...that's this gun's purpose in life. They're great values at around $300-350.

There are also a great quantity of quality guns to be had in the $400-550 range, including Smith's full size M&P, Glock's compact or full size models, a number of Walthers, Rugers, and CZs, and even some 1911s.

There are certainly some FANTASTIC guns to be had as you work on up towards $1000, but don't consider that a necessity for a great pistol.

And then beyond that, perhaps the best home security firearm, not limiting it to pistols only, is a 12 gauge shotgun. You can pretty easily buy a 12 gauge for $300-450.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Here is the picture of the 9mm Tisas Zigana:

vQbpv4.jpg

Interesting looking piece. Looks like a Hi Power had a baby with a Beretta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back