Cooper CS5 Grand Touring initial review -PICS-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note: I’m putting the term “review” in the title so this thread will be easier for people to find in the future. I’ll be updating this thread as I get more miles on these tires.

I’ll be giving an honest review of these tires. If they perform poorly, you’ll be sure to hear about it.

Facts about the Cooper CS5 Grand Touring:
-Made in the USA. Made in Tupelo, Mississippi, to be specific.
-T-rated, 80,000 mile treadlife warranty.
-Constructed with a nylon cap ply, for those of you who are worried about using tires without a cap ply.
-Cooper says the CS5 is the first tire to use a new high-silica compound they developed.
-Cooper claims the CS5 uses a new sipe design where the sipes are deeper. They claim the CS5 has 40% more sipes available when half worn than the previous CS4 tire.
-Cooper also offers another version of this tire, the Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring. It’s available in higher speed ratings, has a different tread pattern and is more performance oriented.
-I paid $385 after tax for the set installed at Discount Tire. I also have a $50 MIR. Assuming that goes through, I’ll have paid $335 out the door.

Why did I choose the CS5 Grand Touring?
I’ve been interested in giving Cooper tires a try. They’re one of the rare tire companies still based in the U.S., they make lots of tires in the U.S. and they seem to be on the upswing recently.

Cooper seems to be a company that was mostly known for private-label production in the past and producing lesser-known brands like Mastercraft. In recent years, they’ve seemed to change their focus a little. They become an OE-supplier to the automotive industry for the first time. They have released some tires under the Cooper brand that look to have a lot of R&D put into them to make them more competitive in their class.

The CS5 was recently released, so there’s little objective testing available. I generally prefer to read tests from places like Consumer Reports and Tire Rack before buying a tire, but I decided to give these a shot. The CS4 performed well in areas I’m looking for, and the CS5 claims to improve on those areas.

Other tires I considered included the General RT43 and Kumho KR21.

First impressions
I thought there wouldn’t be a huge difference between the Coopers and my previous Firestone FR710 tires. Boy, was I wrong.

There were the differences I expected, like the new tires being quieter. But the turning seems slightly sharper, the ride is significantly smoother and the wet traction is greatly improved.

I will say, these tires are on a 1999 Nissan Frontier. It’s far from a performance vehicle, so it’s not the most precise platform for testing tires.

It’s been very rainy here the last couple days. Several times I’ve tried accelerating quickly from a stop and had very little wheelspin. The previous FR710 tires did not perform as well in that regard.

What I’m waiting to find out
Winter traction is a concern for me, as I live in an area that can get a good amount of snow and ice, but not enough to justify buying winter tires.

I’m interested to see how these tires perform in the winter. The CS5 tread pattern doesn’t feature as many sipes as something like the Hankook H727, which is known for having good winter traction. But Cooper claims the sipes are designed to last longer into the tire’s life and the high-silica tread compound will help in the winter. We will see, as winter is just around the corner.

A close-up look at the CS5 Grand Touring
The CS5 tread is asymmetrical. Cooper says there are more sipes on the inside to help with wet and snow traction. The larger tread blocks on the outside are aimed at improving handling.
C1-1200_zps4c323616.jpg

Here’s the tread from the outside edge showing the larger tread blocks.
C2-1200_zpsf0d7d2de.jpg

Here’s the tread from the inside edge showing the more numerous sipes.
C3-1200_zps8cddde5b.jpg

C5-1200_zps2a02a779.jpg

C4-800_zps5d1b4f1a.jpg

The old Firestone FR710
I’ve had these on my truck for nearly 50k miles and 5 years. I would sum up my experiences by simply saying “meh.”

They were never really good at anything, and the winter traction was really, really poor. That’s even considering that this is a 2wd truck that isn’t great in the winter to begin with.

Here are pics of a new FR710 and my worn tires.
FR710new_zps92f2b367.png

FR710old_zps2a236b81.jpg

Yes, good initial review!
smile.gif

As you review the CS5's, let us know if they're a tire that you would consider replacing on your Sonata(H727).

I have the RT43's on my wife's RX-300 AWD and their sipes don't go very deep into the tread blocks. Not a concern right now but could be in the future. Something I will certainly pay attention to in the future when buying tires. Again, more that I've learned!
smile.gif

Good to hear of a comparative upstart making a good product at a good price

I've had it with the tire establishment of Goodyear, Firestone, not so much Michelin, I just like having competitive options. Hope they expand the size range, sounds just the ticket for my Camry.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Yes, good initial review!
smile.gif

As you review the CS5's, let us know if they're a tire that you would consider replacing on your Sonata(H727).

I have the RT43's on my wife's RX-300 AWD and their sipes don't go very deep into the tread blocks. Not a concern right now but could be in the future. Something I will certainly pay attention to in the future when buying tires. Again, more that I've learned!
smile.gif

How are you liking the RT43's? Was thinking of shodding my Camry with a set of them.

I have the RT43's on my wife's RX-300 AWD and their sipes don't go very deep into the tread blocks. Not a concern right now but could be in the future. Something I will certainly pay attention to in the future when buying tires.

I'm guessing you saw this thread I made about the RT43 sipes. I just updated it this morning with more pics.

Long story short, it looks like the RT43 will lose a good amount of the siping, but maybe not as much as you might think at first.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3557355#Post3557355

Hello, GREAT review. While shopping for tires is much easier today, it still is fraught with variables.
Reviews like yours are a big part when I shop for things.

I like the CS4's (a pair) I bought from a friend and wouldn't hesitate buying the new CS5.
I love the "T" rating.

Just one question: Won't putting automotive touring tires on a pick-up (Frontier, no?) result in faster wear? Kira

Nice review! I have the cs4 in one car, will be two, and we like them s lot.

Quote:
Cooper...one of the rare tire companies still based in the U.S.
One of two--Cooper & Goodyear. The rest are either foreign owned (Bridgestone/Firestone, Michelin/BFGoodrich/Uniroyal, Continental/General, all the rest), or just marketers (Hercules, etc.), or very small time.

Thanks for the info. It is good to see Cooper doing the R&D and introducing new updated products. Pls keep us updated.

I have these on my GF's CR-V. Great tire for the money. I was trying to decide between these and the General RT43s but the Cooper had the bigger rebate at the time. Definite improvement over her old tires in the wet and general handling.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I have the RT43's on my wife's RX-300 AWD and their sipes don't go very deep into the tread blocks. Not a concern right now but could be in the future. Something I will certainly pay attention to in the future when buying tires.

I'm guessing you saw this thread I made about the RT43 sipes. I just updated it this morning with more pics.

Long story short, it looks like the RT43 will lose a good amount of the siping, but maybe not as much as you might think at first.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3557355#Post3557355

Yes, I did read that thread!
smile.gif

I'm not concerned about the sipes right now as we're only putting on < 10K mi/yr. It's just a feature that I will look more closely at in the future when buying tires.

The sipes are something that is hard to see in pictures and I often like to look at tires(that I am considering) at local tire shops. Hopefully, I can also see(at the local shops) my exact size/speed rating etc. And then, price the tire decision at all local competition and online for best prices.

Last edited:
Great thread.

I had a set of Cooper CS5 Grand Touring tires installed on my wife's Sienna in June. We have about 15,000 miles on the set so far. The CS5's are wearing well and have handled rain and the one snow event this season (about 5") without any problems.

On the Sienna, we have also used Michelin Primacy MXV4s (OEM), Bridgestone Dueler Ecopia HL 422, and Firestone FR710s in that order. As of now, the CS5s are probably the best of that group. If we can get reasonable treadwear out of the CS5s, we'll probably stick with these for any future replacements.

This is what I love. Tires that performs better or as well as(CS5)the known name brand tires at (often) a fraction of the cost!
laugh.gif

I don't expect Cooper or General to be the Tire Companies like Michelin where, Michelin's tire line is all quite good and highly rated/trusted. But, I love that they now have a wider variety of competitive tires.

Yes, Cooper is a known name brand tire. They were just "fair" in their performance not too long ago. They were fine for those loyalists and others who want tires at less expensive cost. And some of their models were nothing more than "round & black".

Way to go Cooper!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira

Won't putting automotive touring tires on a pick-up (Frontier, no?) result in faster wear?

+1 thought these were car tires, not necessarily truck?

Got these on my malibu recently...wow are they quiet. I'm ready to hacksaw off the outside mirrors due to wind noise...since the road noise is about gone!

Definitely a big improvement in road noise to the previous tires (BFG touring TA). I didnt notice this much improvement when I got defenders on two previous cars!

I may be wrong but, I don't think that the Defenders scored all that high in ride & quiet! But, they did in most other categories. And there are some reviews(not complaints) that mentioned this.

Ill put the CS5 Ultras on the list as possible tires for the CVPI after Winter. RT43s and P7s are also in the running at this point. Cost will probably dictate my choice.

Originally Posted By: FL-400S
Originally Posted By: Kira

Won't putting automotive touring tires on a pick-up (Frontier, no?) result in faster wear?

+1 thought these were car tires, not necessarily truck?

This is a compact truck that came with p-rated tires initially. Any "passenger" tire of the correct size and load rating is appropriate for this vehicle.

In fact, DTD and Tire Rack list no "truck" tires in this size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back